The importance of confidence

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
jdefoe
Forum groupie

The importance of confidence

Post by jdefoe » 08 May 2005, 21:58

From my playing days, I came to a sudden realization to why I am much better this year than I was last year. Yes, I have been practicing regularly, but I did that last year too. The reason why I "upped" my performance is because I increased my confidence.

I used positive self talk and visualized positive outcomes which has helped me further develop my game. When I came to this realization, it was because I asked myself "I practice wayyyyy more than any of these guys, yet they seem to be more effective on the pitch. Why is that?"

The reason is simple, you can practice your skills as much as you want, but unless you have confidence in the skills you have, and you are confident enough to use them in a game, the skills you have developed are useless. Once I started to improve confidence in my skills, I became a new player on the pitch...With this added technical and mental practice, I have developed quickly.

HalaMadrid2

Post by HalaMadrid2 » 08 May 2005, 23:15

nice post jdfoe, and i used to have a huge problem of low confidence too. I myself used visualizations of me doing good things on the pitch and that increased my potential in a game too.
~¡Vaya Real Madrid!~

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

Post by fir_nev » 09 May 2005, 01:04

*agrees on this post*

I dun visualise. But whenever I wanna go for 50-50 challenges, I knew I had to win it for the sake of my team.

J
Admin

Post by J » 09 May 2005, 03:49

nice post defoe. I think confidence i very important in every aspect of life along with football.

pascalfrik

Post by pascalfrik » 09 May 2005, 05:03

I have to agree with you.
i'm not really positive and confident.
but if you say it has improved youre skill i really should try it too.

Ronaldinho10

Post by Ronaldinho10 » 09 May 2005, 10:06

You can also think of it like this- Football is all about enjoying playing it and it is difficuilt(not impossible) to enjoy playing football when you do not have confidence. So instead of thinking about confidence just go out onto the pitch thinking I'm going to enjoy this-Relax,smile and laugh and all your skills will start happening and working. Look at Ronaldinho when he plays he always looks as though he is enjoying himself. :D Because thats what football is all about - Having fun - and not getting stressed about it. :D Another way is to try and play the exact same way on the pitch as you would when u are playing muk about games with your friends or practising your skills by yourself. So to sum up - Relax - Smile - Laugh - ENJOY IT and as Nike says JUST DO IT :D :D
Without doubt.
Credit AC _Milan>* for the sig.

fir_nev

Post by fir_nev » 09 May 2005, 14:34

Having fun, yes... 1 thing....

Another thing is to release the ball and see what happens. Dun think too much as if Ur life depends on it... Let the pieces of the future fall into place.

But I'm happy that people here have no problems with confidence. Abit is still no prob.

bsoccer531
New User

Post by bsoccer531 » 11 May 2005, 01:48

awesome post. i have a huge problem with low confidence as far as soccer goes. my town is full of amazing players and i always compare myself to them. i get really hard on myself and stress myself out. i just started working with my coach during the off season and he told me that i have the skill, but i need to confidence to complete it. so i guess i'll have to work on it.
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

Post by *~El Maestro~* » 11 May 2005, 18:09

ive been meaning to mention this... thanks for posting this maybe you guys can help me. i used to be a pretty good player but ever since i started playing with people older than me , got injured, and kept noticing all these younger players with so much potential. I just lost all my confidence.I dont believe I can achieve what i can and it affects my game alot because i cant go out there on the pitch and play my own way. Does anyone hav any help to offer? because this is one of my main problems and i have become a worse plyer because of it.

Rosario

Post by Rosario » 11 May 2005, 18:45

i will try this defoe.i am playing terribly at the moment.i am by far the most talented player on the team yet i was subbed in the last game after a terrible performance and i'm off the pace totally at the moment.one minute my touch is as good as ronaldinho and so are my passes,but most of the time recently i am doing rubbish.my touch can be awful even though i usually am in a different league to everyone else.i sometimes am not confident enough to do my tricks but now i am vowing to start playing my way

jcdenton
Veteran Member

Post by jcdenton » 11 May 2005, 19:04

yeah...i have a friend at my squad he is central back, he has the worst technique, he is maybe the slowest, he has the worst stamina, but he is strong and he has powerful shot and heading! and he is confident in his skills, so i am not affraid if some player goes past me if he is behind me! and the team also believes in his abilities....he scored from a penalty last match...

Rosario

Post by Rosario » 12 May 2005, 17:04

excuse me.keane loves the game.look at him after a goal.he is the happiest out there.he doesn't smile during the game or after because he is never satisfied with what he achieved.he is always striving to be better and i think he is the most influencial midfielder ever.he makes his teamates play better

fir_nev

Post by fir_nev » 13 May 2005, 08:30

Keane.... I admire his ability to push others to the limit.

Rosario

Post by Rosario » 14 May 2005, 15:45

kenae is a great player himself aswell.he gets the respect because of his play.what a brilliant footballer

matt
EF Forum Legend

Post by matt » 14 May 2005, 18:28

may i just point out i am a huge man utd fan, but i am simply making the point he is by far the most vicious player in europe. i agree with u totally he is a great motivator and, having read his autobiography, an inspiration at times. i jst think he cd relax a teensy bit and not commit so many fouls
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.