Visualization before a game

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
jdefoe2

Visualization before a game

Post by jdefoe2 » 25 Sep 2004, 14:33

Relax, then visualize yourself making a certain mistake in a game. First run a mental movie of this where you do not see yourself (1st person) and then when you do see yourself (3rd person). So, you get to see where you made the mistake. Now, run this movie again, and swap the star player for yourself in the movie(he's taking your place in the movie). Now, re-run the movie with this star player in it. Notice what he does, notice how he handles the particular situation, and you will quickly find the answer you were looking for (how this player corrects the mistake). Now, run the mental movie of yourself doing what this star player did when he corrected the mistake. I bet you will feel much better on the insdie. Keep practicing this exercise until your mistakes go to a minimun. In game situations, if you program your brain with this info, it will not make the same mistake in a game, and will often think of the best mauever to do in a tight game situation.

Star

Post by Star » 26 Oct 2004, 19:28

Thats interesting Defoe... is it your own technique? Or do you read this on a website? If so, could you provide a link? If it's a book, or your own techniques, could you please tell us more, i'm intrigued...

jdefoe9

Post by jdefoe9 » 27 Oct 2004, 17:07

hey, thanks for the comments, and yes it is my own technique. I basically expanded upon the saying "visualize yourself succeeding" and if you have trouble succeeding find where you went wrong and get someone who knows how to do it, to do it right. Then when you picture the pro player doing it right, you have programmed your mind to never make that mistake again.

Star

Post by Star » 27 Oct 2004, 19:59

Kinda like thinking your way to success? Well if that has worked for you Defoe, then great, maybe it'll work for others. Is there any other techniques you have?

EDIT: Why don't you actually join the forum Defoe? It's free you know. All you need is an email address. Thanks.

jdefoe
Forum groupie

Post by jdefoe » 27 Oct 2004, 23:14

ya, another technique I have is the "play off the wall whenever you can technique" that means that whenever u have a ball and free time, you should go to a wall and spend as much time as possible striking the ball and controlling it. It has certainly worked for me so far! Also, bring the ball everywhere you go!

expert
Site Admin

Post by expert » 28 Oct 2004, 02:17

Visualization is actually a serious technique that is currently in the focus of many sports scientists. No, it's definitely not a substitute for “the wall” or individual practice in general, but why should it be? I see it as a training method that supplements and enhances physical training, not as a replacement for it.

On the other hand, your argument is also true. Spend five hours per day with the ball and it wouldn’t matter what you do with the rest of your time… I do think that the latter approach would be less efficient though.

I have actually already spoken about visualization in the Q&A section: http://expertfootball.com/gossip/answer.php?qid=578

jdefoe
Forum groupie

Post by jdefoe » 26 Dec 2004, 18:43

sports psychology is very interesting. Did you know that Machester United have sports psychologists help them relax, and visualize for sucess before the match?

madridfc
Veteran Member

Post by madridfc » 09 Feb 2005, 22:42

wow, jdefoe, thats really cool! where did you hear that? i wish my team had something like that.
olé

"I wouldn't say i was the best manager in the business, i was in the top one."

jdefoe
Forum groupie

Post by jdefoe » 10 Feb 2005, 18:16

I do psychology, and there is a whole section on sports psychology in it!

af2266

Post by af2266 » 14 Mar 2005, 01:10

i do the exact same thing that u do