Training in winter Canada?

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer

Training in winter Canada?

Post by Guest » 29 Dec 2004, 00:06

i live in canada and its the winter here and snows covering the whole ground away from indoor team play i can only kick the ball inside what are some ways i can still get a good work with the snow pilled up to my knees

Mike

Post by Mike » 29 Dec 2004, 01:15

Well, living in Canada myself for a good portion of my life I know what you're going through right now. Although it is quite impossible to play outside with out getting seriously injured or sick, you should just train inside in the basement, or the biggest room in your house. That's what I have been doing for quite a long time now and it still works. You will not be able to practice your shot very much, but this is a great time to boost your dribbling, control, passing, and fitness. There are some drills and tips on this site you can use, and you can use simple ones like touching the ball between your feet repeatedly, juggling, dribbling in a zig-zag formation, etc. Hope this has helped you, post a reply if you still have a question.

Mike

jdefoe
Forum groupie

Post by jdefoe » 29 Dec 2004, 02:07

go in your basement and work on fast footwork, and practice one-touch passign against a couch. Go to a gymnasium, and kick the ball around in there.

madridfc
Veteran Member

Post by madridfc » 02 Jan 2005, 04:20

i know what you mean, i live in the northeast of the US, but luckily i've got a place in my town to play indoors on my own. what i do, all year round, is dribble a ball around the house as much as i can. do maradonas, nutmeg chairs, practice scissors, etc. i would reccomend a lighter-weighted ball like a volley ball so as to not ruin furniture. also, mini balls will help even more because you are forced to be more precise with the movements of your feet
hope the helps and good luck making it through the winter

Post by Guest » 18 Jan 2005, 15:38

hey im the "Guest" that started this thread

I just wanted to say, i do a lot of dribbling around the house and i freestyle tons and i enjoy both and am very good at both, but the problem is my fitness isnt improving because im crammed in my house for most of the afternoone, and my shots not improving either because im used to 1 to 2 100 shot sessions in the summer, i still practise with a good club team were we train 3 to 4 nights a week and play games on week ends but its just not the same as sessions by your self, i dont know if theres a way to keep up fitness and improve my shot in the winter. I guess thats just the bad thing about living in Canada, but if you have any more ideas feel free to give them i'll take ANY

jdefoe
Forum groupie

Post by jdefoe » 18 Jan 2005, 18:36

listen. Go to an atheltic complex with racquetball courts. Rent it out. And smash the ball as much as you can against the walls. Anyways, to improve fitness, you must put on a lot of clothing to keep warm, and try running for a couple of kilometres, while sprinting occasionally in intervals. This should really help.

Good luck!

Mike

Post by Mike » 18 Jan 2005, 22:25

Iknow that it is difficult to practice your shot inside, and normally for me it goes rusty. But there ways of avoiding this. You can go to a court like defoe said, or you can purchase a ball with rope attached to it. You tie the rope to your waist and kick the ball. This way can practise passing, juggling or even shooting, just be ready for the ball to come back to you. :lol: As for fitness...you can go to a complex, or just go jogging outside i have many friends who do this.

Hope this has helped you,
Mike

Post by Guest » 08 Feb 2005, 01:46

im running on a tred mill in my garage but its just not the same, im a long distance runner and enjoy running it really sucks being stuck on the tred mill and lately i've been staying after school and killing the ball against the gym wall im surviving but i CANT WAIT til the summer so i can really get out there, may be traveling to play in england as well so that makes it all the more exciting

Maradona
Veteran Member

Post by Maradona » 13 Mar 2005, 15:36

Consider urself lucky cuz u got a garage, basement ect.

I live in an apart in Canada, there's neighbours just above and below
(shes 80 yrs old) .I cant practice at home and da gymnasium is closed for reparations.

I'm struggling dis winter just prayin for summer to come soon...
Till now I'm lookin for dry places where I can practice.
The rules of soccer are very simple, basically it is this: if it moves, kick it. If it doesn’t move, kick it until it does.

sOcCeRKiD11

Post by sOcCeRKiD11 » 26 Apr 2005, 06:17

same..i live in a apt..cant do sh*t in the winter...it was killing jus sitting in my room(its small) and do nuthing...y does it have to b cold..y can it b warn..so i can practice and practice...stupid weather...

my shoot was awesome b4 winter start..now its horrible..i gotta work on it again.garrr...stupid weather

Christopher

Post by Christopher » 17 Nov 2005, 19:34

You guys should try playing basketball over the winter. Its almost as much fun as soccer. I know most of you want to go pro. I want to go pro too, but I play alot of diffrent sports. The other sport help me stay in shape and keep me happy. Just keep an open mind about your excercises. Anything you see the younger kids do; snowball fights, jumping rope, anything fun. I hope I helped

peps1154
Veteran Member

Post by peps1154 » 17 Nov 2005, 22:06

What I do during tthe winter is I got to my room put on my indor shoes and practice juggling and ground moves.

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

Post by cfrealmadrid » 17 Nov 2005, 22:12

i'm lucky enough to live about a half hour's drive from a newly built indoor sports complex. they let you pretty much play whenever you want, and sometimes they have pickup games. try to find one in your area, as it's great to have access to during the winter. there's also likely to be an indoor league if you do happen to find one, so look into that as well. it's like hockey with a football. it's actually a lot of fun.
Hala Galacticos

CR17Ronaldo

Post by CR17Ronaldo » 19 Nov 2005, 03:50

Over here there's a bit of snow already
so later on as soon as the grass will be covered by snow I have also like u guys an indoor sport complex so its cool
Its also fun to play soccer outside in da snow :lol:
Never give up keep training and reach to your goals Its all depends on YOU!

peps1154
Veteran Member

Post by peps1154 » 19 Nov 2005, 16:08

Its fun to play in the snow but its bad when u get sick, right now this is my second day not playing soccer because I feel so week and my troath hurts.