Rooney Camera Incident

Discuss and compare your favorite players
desire10
Veteran Member

Rooney Camera Incident

Post by desire10 »

I'm not sure if any of your foreign camera teams got a shot of it, but when Rooney completed his hat trick, he was swearing and abusing the close-up camera. All I heard was him saying "Yea what? Yea what!" - Pretty sad considering they were playing a team trying to escape relegation.

Apparently there was swearing involved, and Rooney will be facing a two match ban, this including the Manchester derby. Rooney is yet to appeal this though.
Everything you need, is already inside.
mint
EF Drug Baron

Post by mint »

Yeah there was swearing involved, saw a clip of it yesterday.

I personally agree with the ban because at the end of the day children of all ages watch footy games and hes meant to be a role model, so swearing at a camera wont do his public image much good.
i was made to ignite
Met

Post by Met »

mint wrote:Yeah there was swearing involved, saw a clip of it yesterday.

I personally agree with the ban because at the end of the day children of all ages watch footy games and hes meant to be a role model, so swearing at a camera wont do his public image much good.
I don't agree with this. Just because someone is really good at kicking a football and is paid to kick a football infront of many people, he then is required to be a role model?

This is stupid. He said his sorry and that's it. He's just being made an example of for no reason. not everyone does this. I remember James Beattie passing the ball to Zamora to score and he very clearly says fu**!!! Now how come he doesn't get a ban? Because he didn't look at a camera?
panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 »

Yeah i saw the swearing and I think the punishment is waay over the top and too harshe-

Give him a financial punishment or something of the sort, but 2 matches, at this point in the season? You've got to be kidding me. Berba, start training harder, this is your chance to pull of the top scorer award. We have to lift the 19th in may :)
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'
klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 »

The point is that whether we want footballers to be role models or not, to young players they always will be. For that reason, I fully agree with the punishment, if anything is it not strict enough. From now on, any time a footballer exhibits abusive behaviour or language they should just get a ban, it would completely eradicate it from the game in no time. You don't seen this kind of things happening in other sports, or even in football in different countries that much...

Another thing that pisses me off is footballers that spit. If a marathon runner can run 26 miles without gobbing on the floor, over paid footballers who fu** around on a football pitch for 90 minutes can follow suit.
ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton »

There are rules regarding how much players can be fined and the maximum is two weeks wages so that isn't really going to make any difference to a player earning as much as Rooney.

Players earn these massive wages which are paid for by TV money. That means they are going to be on TV a lot. They also get image rights inserted in their contracts so I think you have to say they are cashing in on their image which means they are role models.

I agree with the ban is if football are serious about improving players behaviour they have to hand out punishments that hurt.

The problem I have is that the FA are just making it up as they go along. There are no clearly defined disciplinary procedures.
matt
EF Forum Legend

Post by matt »

ratherton wrote:
The problem I have is that the FA are just making it up as they go along. There are no clearly defined disciplinary procedures.
Too right.

I think my main problem with the ban is the hypocrisy of the hype over it. If it was such a grossly offensive incident as to warrant a two-game ban, why did Match of the Day show it in their highlights several hours after the game? Obviously during a live game there's not much you can do, but to include it in the edited highlights later seems daft - broadcasting swearing on television so that others can complain that someone was swearing on television. People acted like Rooney was addressing them personally when he shouted down that camera. My mate was annoyed at the way his 'eyes bulged'. (I'm not even sure why there needed to be a camera and a microphone in his face like that in the first place; surely Sky have zoom lenses.) But these are the same sort of people who will shout far more offensive things at players and opposing fans during the course of a game.

If people are concerned that their children are easily influenced by what a footballer says and does then I think that says more about their parenting skills than it does about Rooney. Anyone who has ever been in a terrace will be exposed to much worse language for ninety consecutive minutes (especially when Cambridge United are losing), and people do still take their children to see games. Also don't forget that Rooney is a man who paid for sex with a prostitute while his wife was pregnant. I think the time for viewing him as a positive role model is well and truly over already.

There might also be an argument to say that Rooney's passion, anger or whatever emotions you might like to call them are a fundamental part of what makes him the player he is. If the FA is to ban players who swear audibly enough for a camera to pick up then it could have an adverse effect on the game.
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.
nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 »

That's the problem players swear 50x a game terry swore a few times in the utd chelsea match lets ban him. Hell lets ban anything at all negative from arguing at the ref or getting angry both are frowned upon. Lets just ban everything that could be looked at poorly. Unless they set guidelines they can't ban for this stupid crap.