Head down all the time

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
terminator

Hi,
I wasn't sure where this topic should be.My biggest weakness is that I look down at the ball too much and my head isn't up. This has come about with me playing at a very low level and without glasses for most of my life.

Any ideas how to get rid of this bad habit? Thanks!

Met

Nah, it's because no one told what you're supposed to do.

When you don't have a ball, don't stand there and look at the ball. Look around, where's your team mates? Where's the opponents? What are you going to do if you ge the ball now... what about now? Who's marking you? who has space?

Once you have all or most of the information, you can focus on executing your plan. E.g. you are CM and you know your pacey striker likes the ball over the top, you will glance up to see where they are, look at the ball, focus on getting it controlled and passing the ball as if you are telepathic.

Also, try and keep your touches on the ball as minimum as possible. It forces you to know what the next pass is, getting out of trouble. You know you are about to get tackled so move the ball.

Head down all the time with the ball is okay, you will keep control of it better. Head down all the time without the ball, that's just not good preparation for when you get the ball.

Hope that helps,
Met

p793
Veteran Member

Well at high levels of the game its a requirement, so start by going down to your local field/park and practise running at different paces whilst maintaining coplete control of the ball, once you know you can maintain control of the ball when running then you wont need to constantly glare at your feet to make sure your doing it correctly, and when your confident with running with the ball you will be able to look at the game rather than your feet.
PRACTISE PRACTISE PRACTISE

dasfootball90

practice dribbling straight without look down. Start out slow if you aren't that confident and then start to go quicker as you get better. In about two weeks you will see a diffrence but don't stay content.

terminator

Excellent advice! Thanks guys!

styale18

when im dribbling, should i take quick looks in btwn touches?

nick117
Veteran Member

Yes, watch a video of ryan giggs most of his runs involve him taking a touch head up touch head up repeat.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Having your head up as much as possible would be ideal. As they say, knowledge is power, and knowing where defenders are and where teammates are is paramount to making plays and scoring goals.

That in mind, don't just look up for the sake of looking up. Look up, and survey a bit of the field. Know where your passing options are. Know where the defenders are. Really, most of your looking should be done before you even receive the ball, so you already have a good, rough idea of where everyone is and what best to do. These looks, however, are still purposeful. You need to edit your image of the field constantly as it constantly changes. Always having your head down is asking to keep the ball too long, and be stripped by a defender.

Just keep telling yourself to keep your head up and eventually, you'll do it more and more.