Playing Against Older People

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
dasfootball90

Playing Against Older People

Post by dasfootball90 » 27 Jul 2010, 19:06

so I am very good dribbler when I play against kIds my age. I am currently 14. When I play against kids older a mess up. Its a probelm because I underperfrom when I play against them.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 27 Jul 2010, 19:21

This is a problem for everyone. Unless you are far physically superior, older players, particularly over 18s in adults leagues, will drag you down to their sh*tty standard and beat you with experience.

The best way to play against them is to give them a little bit of stick back, they will be clinging to you like a piece of sh*t, and will foul you every single time you knock the ball past them.

I've played against older defenders who I am much faster than, and whenever I knock the ball past them, they make a B-line, straight towards me and push me away from the ball clinging onto me to make sure I don't sprint around them and back onto the ball, you just have to hope that you have a good referee.

You really don't have to put up with dirty players, you don't need to foul them back, but you can let them know you're not a walk over but giving them a few nudges back.

You should also be more forceful, and not be afraid to give them some of their own medicine. If someone is climbing all over you at corners, and is tugging you back when you are making runs, don't be afraid to give him a nudge back to get him off you. You need to be very physical at higher levels of the game, and playing with older players is one way to do this. I remember playing with people two years older than me for 3 seasons when I was 12. After those three seasons, when I went back to playing with people my age, 15 at the time, I was shoulder barging players away who tried to tackle me and I just got into the habit of throwing my weight around to compete against players, because I was so used to having to do it against the older kids.

Now I am in very much the same situation, where I play with adults and I very often end up sprinting straight into them with all my weight when they refuse to stop pulling me back. This is where getting a little fired up for games can give you a competitive edge.
Last edited by klc123 on 27 Jul 2010, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Re: Playing Against Older People

Post by pickyourheadup » 27 Jul 2010, 21:36

DAS, are you playing against adults or people closer to your age (15 - 17 year olds).?

1. If the problem is physicality, follow klc's advice (but don't play dirty).

2. If the problem is mentality, you have to remember one thing:
They are more experienced.

Solutions:
-Play more: The more you play with them, the better you will get because of the increased level of play. Each time you play you can only grow more.
-Pass: Instead of dribbling all the time, do it in short bursts. Attract at least 2 defenders, pass the ball off, and move.
-Have fun: Older players can take the game too seriously. In order to distract you mentally they can verbally or physically hurt you. It's important to keep a calm nerve.
-Bring Friends: If you have any friends your age who are around your skill level, bring them along. Familiar players helps relax you nerves and can let you play your game.
-Ask Advice: More often than not, your older teammates will be cool people. Ask them for any advice regarding your play, positioning, or what you should be doing physically.
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)