John Obi Mikel Out

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
Ward9310

John Obi Mikel Out

Post by Ward9310 »

I know that he isn't as high profile as Ferdinand or Drogba, but he is a key part of the Nigerian team.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/ne ... MHD=soccer
Nigeria midfielder John Obi Mikel has been ruled out of the World Cup due to injury, according to a team official.

The Chelsea midfielder has been struggling to shake off a knee problem after undergoing surgery in recent weeks and has now told his country's football bosses he did not want to put the injury into further risk.

"We have dropped Mikel from the World Cup after he told the team he did not want to put his career at risk as his knee injury has yet to fully heal after a recent surgery," team co-ordinator, Emmanuel Attah, told www.mtnfootball.com.

Mikel has been closely monitored since joining his team-mates at their pre-tournament training camp on the outskirts of London a week ago, with coach Lars Lagerback repeatedly giving reassurances over his fitness.

He was rested in a game against Colombia over the weekend and the Swede explained "there was nothing wrong, but it was just a precaution".

Yesterday, the 23-year-old trained fully with the rest of the squad for the first time since they arrived at their World Cup base in Durban.

Attah also confirmed that officials from the Super Eagles camp are currently meeting to decide on a replacement - likely to come from the seven players axed by Lagerback who were part of the preliminarily squad.

The Nigerians wrap up their preparations for the finals with a friendly against North Korea in Johannesburg tomorrow.
ANOTHER player ruled out of the World Cup then . . .
Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader »

Yep, they're saying he's done for sure, now. Lots of Chelsea players dropping out of the WC. Essien, Ballack and Drogba. I think Mikel had better watch himself. O_O
I fu**ing called it.

When will the decimation of Chelsea players integral to their team stop?!
klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 »

I thought this was a piss take after seeing Rome's post yesterday.
Ward9310

Post by Ward9310 »

I fu**ing called it.
Hahah, good call! :lol: :lol:

100th POST!
Met

Post by Met »

That's bad news for England.

Rome's witchcraftery means Ashley or Joe is next. :O

(Nah, Lampard is a bull he won't get injured)
Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Post by Croatianblood1 »

Arjen Robben also injured but I'm not sure if he will miss the tournament or not.
http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worl ... dutch-rout

At this rate there should be a World Cup 2010 Injuries Thread.

Unbelievable.
2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 »

To be honest as excited as I am about the WC every time I hear about an injury or star who isn't going it brings me down.
fawad000

Post by fawad000 »

What's up with all these stars faking injuries? I want to see the best players to fight it out for wc title.It's ok if it's Robben who has a injury prone career all his life but Mikel who was not even a starter for his club.Disgusting act by these money diggers.

Essien,Ballack,Rio ferdinand,John,Torres and fabregas(possibly) mikel,Robben(possibly),Drogba(possibly),Julio cesar and Michel bastos (possibly),Diego milito(very likely) and more to follow.
2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 »

Last I heard Drogba had said he's not playing. Honestly idk why though since you can play with a broken arm.

Pirlo might be out aswell.

At least with all these injuries the USA's chances raise a small amount (we need a shruging emoticon)

So who's englands captain now? I think it's only fair to give it back to Terry.
soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 »

I have to admit, of all the injuries that have happened, the one that sticks out is Drogba's. I've lost some respect for Drogba if he really doesn't play because it's his arm. It would take more than a fractured arm to keep me from playing in what could be my last world cup. It wasn't even a horrific injury where the bone sticks out of your arm. It was only a fracture.
bsc
Veteran Member

Post by bsc »

I just wonder if this is an argument for too many games during a world cup year?

The wear and tear on these athletes bodies is unbelievable. Just think about how many games Chelsea played this season and something like this isn't all that unlikely.

Eh, injuries suck.
Image Image
And the dreams that you dare to dream, really do come true
Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader »

fawad000 wrote:What's up with all these stars faking injuries? I want to see the best players to fight it out for wc title.It's ok if it's Robben who has a injury prone career all his life but Mikel who was not even a starter for his club.Disgusting act by these money diggers.

Essien,Ballack,Rio ferdinand,John,Torres and fabregas(possibly) mikel,Robben(possibly),Drogba(possibly),Julio cesar and Michel bastos (possibly),Diego milito(very likely) and more to follow.
Don't be so quick to say that Mikel is faking. He has been hurt almost all year with Chelsea, and certainly would be playing if he could.

All these injuries are just mounting bad news.
panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 »

fawad000 wrote:What's up with all these stars faking injuries? I want to see the best players to fight it out for wc title.It's ok if it's Robben who has a injury prone career all his life but Mikel who was not even a starter for his club.Disgusting act by these money diggers.

Do you really think players don't care about the World Cup?
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'
nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 »

new injury Robben may be missing the tournement.
fawad000

Post by fawad000 »

panchester07 wrote: Do you really think players don't care about the World Cup?
I seriously do, I think the clubs lure footballers by offering them "ridiculous money" and "star power". These offers become too tempting for footballers to turn down.

I believe these 21st century advanced athletes are also humans and despite of going through rigorous trainings can still get injured.What amazes me is the amount of number of players who are getting injured?
It sounds like if they are plastic toys and can be broken by the slightest of touches.
I also noticed another thing and that is all these players who are getting injured are mostly "star players" of their team and their teams mostly rely on them to win.Imo, these players are using their fame for wrong reasons.I did not not hear about any American,Australian,Algerian guy getting injured?why is not it so? Why a guy of Messi's stature is fully fit while a beast like Drogba is acting like a doll?

I might sound offending or stupid but this is the truth which has sadly become a part of the football culture. :(
Rome_Leader wrote: Don't be so quick to say that Mikel is faking. He has been hurt almost all year with Chelsea, and certainly would be playing if he could.
Regarding mikel,I think he is faking and btw what are Nigeria's chances of winning the world cup anyway?he would be thinking "what the heck,I should spend my summers resting on the beaches rather than fighting a lost cause"
Rome_Leader wrote:All these injuries are just mounting bad news.
Indeed they are. :(

P.s Sorry If I have offended any of you.I was just stating my opinions.Peace out