The importance of goal setting when training

Talk about current events, entertainment, technology or anything not related to soccer
jdefoe
Forum groupie

The importance of goal setting when training

Post by jdefoe » 28 Jul 2005, 22:42

Goal setting is one of the most underrated parts of soccer training. In order to be the best, long term and short term goal settings are a must. They will keep you engaged and motivated to go out an train. Long term goals should last little over 6 months. Short term goals should rarely exceed a month. For example, you want to improve your long range shooting from 25 yards out, and your long term goal is to hit the top corner 7 out of 10 times. Setting specific goals (hitting the top corner 7 of 10 times) is a must. Once you realize what your long term goal is you must create short term goals. For example try this:

Aug1st to Sept 1st- Focus on improving technique by videotaping yourself, and practice your form until you can hit the top corner 5 of 10 times from the 18 yard box with a dead ball. Concentrate on technique.

Sept 1st to Oct 1st- Move back 5 yards until you can hit the top corner 5 of 10 times from 20 yrds. Do plyometric excercises and weights and do anything else in your power that will help you achieve your short term goals

Oct 1st to Nov 1st- Keep practicing until you can hit the top corner 7 of 10 times from 20 yrds

Nov 1st to Dec 1st- Moved back another 5 yards until you can hit the top corner 5 of 10 times from 25 yrds.

Dec 1st to Jan 1st- Keep practicing until you reach your goal, hit the top corner 7 of 10 times from 25 yrds.

If you dont reach your goals, ask yourself why you didnt reach them and what you can do to reach it in the future. If you suceed at your goal, you may want to keep raising the bar a little bit for yourself.

Good luck!

J
Admin

Post by J » 29 Jul 2005, 03:04

nice post and great advice defoe.....

Rosario

Post by Rosario » 30 Jul 2005, 00:03

my manager gave me similar advice this year defoe and it has helped.but he gave us short term goals.he said to work on something particualr during a training and improve your game by 1%.thats all he wanted.he wanted us to leavve the pitch saying we are better players[even just 1&] than we were before the training.si i hit like 5,6 shots with my right in shooting instead of my stronger left foot all the time.and i felt a small improvement.next time i'll do the same and it'll be a bit better.btw what is the best and most effective way to get your weak foot as good as your strong foot.i've practiesd for like 3 days in a row without improvement

mrbeankid22

Post by mrbeankid22 » 30 Jul 2005, 03:32

Great adivice :wink: . I used to just go outside and practice with no goals and I didn't get very far. But after I set goals I saw my-self improving everyday.

ZZizou
Veteran Member

Post by ZZizou » 09 Jun 2007, 14:25

Is this fopr freekicks or moving balls because moving ball are very difficult to hit 7 of 10 times in top corner?

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

Post by iwannagopro » 09 Jun 2007, 15:07

ZZizou wrote:Is this fopr freekicks or moving balls because moving ball are very difficult to hit 7 of 10 times in top corner?
Jdefoe isn't on the forums anymore. Also this is a dead topic. I understand you want this question asked... but it really isn't that hard to interpret what Jdefoe is saying. He wants you to kick it from a dead stop.

jdefoe
Forum groupie

Post by jdefoe » 12 Jun 2007, 17:11

iwannagopro wrote:
Jdefoe isn't on the forums anymore.
says who?

P.Nedved

Post by P.Nedved » 12 Jun 2007, 19:48

either way, thanks for this post. Its really going to help me with my training alot I would think. Another quality post by jdefoe. :D

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

Post by iwannagopro » 12 Jun 2007, 22:36

jdefoe wrote:
iwannagopro wrote:
Jdefoe isn't on the forums anymore.
says who?
Haha, that was quite a long time ago, before you returned. Yet you have come back, and made two posts. One saying 'sure' and the other the previous.

GIVE US MORE HELP OH MASTERFUL JDEFOE!

Midfielder

Post by Midfielder » 16 Jul 2007, 16:17

Yeah, goals are a majoy part in a players success. Great thread! :)
"We win and we lose, it's just the way it is."
Skill - Once you have it, you love it!

AmericanFutballer
Veteran Member

Post by AmericanFutballer » 16 Jul 2007, 17:08

Try not to post in old topics.

This topic is now over a month old so you can safely say it's dead.
Shut Up, I am Here...
- Goals
"The ability to succeed requires the realization of what one wants and the passionate desire to attain it."

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Post by Soccer4Life » 16 Jul 2007, 17:12

I would say it's okay in this situation as it's been posted in 6 times in the last week not including your post or mine.

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 17 Jul 2007, 03:22

Soccer4Life wrote:I would say it's okay in this situation as it's been posted in 6 times in the last week not including your post or mine.
6 times last week? How about last month! :P
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

Midfielder

Post by Midfielder » 17 Jul 2007, 05:41

AmericanFutballer wrote:Try not to post in old topics.

There's no rules about that in the Forum Rules. Besides, I didn't realize, sorry guys.
"We win and we lose, it's just the way it is."
Skill - Once you have it, you love it!

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 17 Jul 2007, 05:50

Midfielder wrote:
AmericanFutballer wrote:Try not to post in old topics.

There's no rules about that in the Forum Rules. Besides, I didn't realize, sorry guys.
It's just forum etiquette that's all. We try not to bring back dead topics. But this was just a compliment to a great post which is always useful so I wouldn't worry too much, it isn't too bad. Just bringing back some useless topics and putting no useful information into them is shamed upon more...
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin