Self-confidence during football practice

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
user_16
New User

Self-confidence during football practice

Post by user_16 » 26 Dec 2009, 10:51

Hey. I have recently turned 17 and in October I started playing football in a club for players between 15 and 19. The problem is, I usually get very nervous before football practice, thinking about the mistakes I'm going to make and what the people are going to think about me when I do a wrong pass or don't succeed in dribbling the opponent. And soon, there's going to be a try-out where the coach will pick the player squad.

I'm not bad at football but it's the problem with my self-confidence. I'm a very good player during my spare time and I usually hear from other people in my class when we play football in school that I should start playing for a local team. I'm a good dribbler, good at shooting long-range shots and quite good at passing. So, these weeks there's still football practice and I want to impress the coach, so I'll get a chance to play some matches for the team too.

I'd be happy if someone could answer me and give me some ideas or advice, telling me to stop being nervous and being all "safe" during football practice, not daring to dribble or go on trying to beat the last defender before scoring a goal.

Icy
Veteran Member

Post by Icy » 26 Dec 2009, 11:09

What you must realize is that your self-confidence will come with results. Results comes through playing and accepting that there will be mistakes.

Ever notice how even professional players can have stints of poor play? There is a similar situation as you. They make a mistake(s) that they don't think they should be making. They over think it and start to doubt their ability with then translates to how they play on the field.

Quite a few players have gone from scoring many goals, to very few (if any), and then back to quite a few. How does this happen? Besides just lack of ability ( :lol: ) they get something into their head making them doubt themselves. Their "skill" comes back when they finally start to ignore the fear of failure attempting to get results.

Results come with hard work and just accepting there will be mistakes. You have to either realize what it is that's causing you to doubt yourself or keep playing and ignore unconstructive critism. A lot of the time a persons mind and what they think about is a greater limiter than actually ability.
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 26 Dec 2009, 14:40

confidence is an interesting thing, yet if you have it, the world is basically yours, with out it everything will suck..

Have you ever been scared or insecure in a situation, to just let time pass and realize how stupid it was.?

A few years back, Werent you ever asked to pour some water in a big family dinner and felt like people where watching and that made you self-concious to find yourself only spilling the water a little bit?..

Have you ever been able to tell a same story to a younger lad, to then have to tell it to an older person, and find that he doesnt laugh, or he finds it bolony and just "fake-laughs"..

Where you ever scared to ride a bike, and fell? Where you ever scared to swim, and sank? Where you ever scared to walk, and tripped?

How did you overcome these situations in which you were once scared, but now you can control with ease?..

Im pretty sure you faced your fears, you trusted yourself no matter what, and you where ready to give it all, to get your goal..

This is what you gotta do, just get to the field, and play, and force yourself to play good and at ease.

I could tell you to visualize, or drink a redbull, or listen to Jay-Zs new album that it will pump you up..

But guess what, that pump, that rush, or that boost would be temporary, and your insecurity will still be there tomorrow..

So conciously face your fear and be willing to loose everything, and you will gain everything you ever wanted..

Also, focus on yourself, dont play to look better in the outside, cause in the inside you will be more fearfull like ( I pulled that move this time and I looked good, but will I be able to pull it out the next time). So play for yourself...

Act too, everything people tell you is for nothing if you dont act.

Just face this fear, like you faced all the other ones. Do you ever think now "What if I fall of my bike", NO!, you can enjoy the pleassure of bike ridding now and even do it for exercise or anything. You control it.. This is how you should be with footy, and how you will be if you just face the fear of rejection.....

Let me know how it goes
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

foodsample

Post by foodsample » 26 Dec 2009, 16:27

I know what you mean. After analyzing and analyzing what was the source of my problems. I have concluded my own modo.

Focus on the effort. Not the results, .. Results will come on their own.

When I am practicing, I focus on setting a goal, and working on that one thing throughout practice, whether it be my tackles, or my passes .. etc. It really doesn´t have to look pretty, no matter what teammates say. When I go play, I play to have fun, knowing that the time I put into practice was well spent, and it will show when I am playing in the game.

You know how you hear of people saying, oh I am just playing like this because its just practice, and no one cares. Then they try in the games? To a certain extent there is truth in that mentality if used correctly (unless your simply lazy). You should take advantage of practices to work on your weak points, and emphasize your strong points, and with that said, if your doing it correctly it shouldnt look to pretty. You should be focusing on your work ethic in practice, putting in the time to improve your skills, and not using your peers as an excuse to avoid your weak spots.

When your in the game, people will judge you from what they see there. If they have a problem with how you practice, that is their own ignorance.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 27 Dec 2009, 02:19

yeah .. Who ever has the time to judge every exact move you make.. EFF them is what I think, you werent put in this world to please them, if they tell you anything constructive say thanks and keep your head up..

If they say anything personal, tell them to worry about themselves

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 27 Dec 2009, 19:52

Instead of thinking you will make mistakes, how about thinking, well i could maybe make a mistake in this certain situation, so what should i do to stop myself making that mistake?

If you manage to do that, then thats unbelievable learning capabilities, because most people have to make the mistake before they can learn from it, but if you actually can interpret your mistakes and correct yourself before you actually make the mistake, then you my friend will be a very very good footballer someday.

user_16
New User

Post by user_16 » 28 Dec 2009, 16:27

Thanks for all the comments. I'll think of this right before we start having football practice and hopefully I will be much calmer. I mean; it's only a football practice and it's not in front of all the fans at Camp Nou :P I just want to feel good for once and stop doubting because it makes me perform much worse than average.

I remember one time, I was out playing with some other guys on a football pitch (just for fun) and it went much better, because I felt it was more for fun and I could make my mistakes and dare shooting from a far distance. And it went well actually, I managed to beat some of them and score a goal. So, I suppose all this me being nervous is just because it's called "football practice", the practice thing sounds all serious. That's why I get these feelings swelling up inside of me.

And I have also played against several of the lads on the team during school time, which I dribbled and scored a goal against. And taking a football practice too seriously isn't fun, so I'll just try to make myself comfortable and not being nervous, because it messes my game up.

I'll tell you how my football practice went. Happy new year by the way.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Re: Reply

Post by panchester07 » 28 Dec 2009, 16:31

user_16 wrote:Thanks for all the comments. I'll think of this right before we start having football practice and hopefully I will be much calmer. I mean; it's only a football practice and it's not in front of all the fans at Camp Nou :P I just want to feel good for once and stop doubting because it makes me perform much worse than average.

I remember one time, I was out playing with some other guys on a football pitch (just for fun) and it went much better, because I felt it was more for fun and I could make my mistakes and dare shooting from a far distance. And it went well actually, I managed to beat some of them and score a goal. So, I suppose all this me being nervous is just because it's called "football practice", the practice thing sounds all serious. That's why I get these feelings swelling up inside of me.

And I have also played against several of the lads on the team during school time, which I dribbled and scored a goal against. And taking a football practice too seriously isn't fun, so I'll just try to make myself comfortable and not being nervous, because it messes my game up.

I'll tell you how my football practice went. Happy new year by the way.
Good - My best friend, is a ladies man. He is not good looking, even a little chubby. I ask him what the F is your secret. He says, "in this life you cant have insecurities" .. I say what? He says, "Whats the worse thing that can happen" I say I dont know, me getting rejected. He says exactly, "Are you still breathing, are you still alive, are there more fish on the sea?."

You cant give a crap aabout what others think if you wanna uncover your full potential!

Instead of football practicce people fear so many different situations. They have the same problem me or you have. Some people are scared of dancing, some are scared of heights or whatever. Dont run away from that fear. Face it and confidence will pour

foodsample

Post by foodsample » 29 Dec 2009, 04:48

Another thing to remember..

People do not get better by doing the right thing over and over..

People get better by making mistakes. And learning from them.

You never stop learning, even at the highest levels. Mistakes are the key to learning.

user_16
New User

Went great

Post by user_16 » 30 Dec 2009, 17:32

Hey again. I've recently had football practice and it was very fun. It was a physical conditioning practice where we all trained our fitness but we also played football. Even though we weren't as many people as we use to be during practice (because the other players on our team are just lazy :P) it went really well. We played teams of three against each other (the field wasn't really big, we were indoor) and I managed to dribble some of the guys and score some goals. This made me very self-confident and I'm really looking forward to the next practice.

What I thought of when we started playing was "Just be aggressive and try to get hold of the ball as much as you can" and "Nobody's really paying any attention to you if you make mistakes". So, it went really great and I want to thank you guys for posting these great comments.

But the real test is on Sunday, that's when we play a lot of matches against each other and there are more players too. But I'll do as I did today, playing aggressively and not letting the other opponent get a chance to breath during gameplay with the ball. One thing is that, you can get tired quite quick, but that will just boost my fitness level!

Thanks again! :D