Getting better when growing

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
Anymi
Veteran Member

Getting better when growing

Post by Anymi » 29 Sep 2009, 11:22

When i was younger I had aspirations to become a pro footballer. I am 17 and still have these dreams, but i understand they probably wont happen and they definetly wont happen if i dont improve. The thing is, i cant improve atm.
From 13 onwards i kick a ball everyday. My touch, control, moves, ability, confidence all improved. I used to be small but grew to be 5-11 going on 6 ft. I havent fully matured and my adaptation to my gangliness can be hard at times.
I seem to struggle thats all. When i mature more and fill out will i gain strength and speed? because this is nescessary if i want to get better and if i cant get these attributes my improvement wont occur.
Does anyone know what to do in this situatution?

(Ill provide more info if nessess)

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Post by pickyourheadup » 29 Sep 2009, 13:29

Obviously with a poor attitude, you can't succeed to your full potential. The only way you will "fill out...my adaptation and speed" is to work on it. Search around EF for some full body training programs (or ask us to make one for you).

You can improve nearly everyday! Most people define improvement as physically getting better with the ball. However improvement actually includes:

Mentality
learning more about positioning, tactics, etc. If you havn't already torn through every single page of EF Training Learn at least one thing each day from it. Even look at the sections that don't apply to you, (i.e. coaching, goalkeeping) as they will help you understand other people's mentality and game tactics.

Maturity
Every so often, some thing *clicks* and you get a new perspective on your goal and how you play soccer. This can come from learning something new mentally, playing with better players, or a random chance.

Networking
Playing with random people, practicing with another club for fun, etc. Making new connections is a great way to improve your chances.

Physicality
Aside from the usual workout, do Yoga and stretching outside of soccer. Both are overlooked, but will help your flexibility.
___
At 17, I hit nearly the same realization as you. Now that I look back however,I see I could have worked just a little harder and learned more about the recruiting process. Thats the main reason I'm around EF now..so that I can help others achieve their dreams :)
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

David_93

Post by David_93 » 29 Sep 2009, 14:34

I goes to the football school system in Norway, and I have a coach which was playing at Norwegian elite division for some time ago.

He said that the most important thing for a aspiring footballer was that he wouldn't give up on training. Even if practices seems to gain very little different. The thing is that one day your skill will just explode, because of the constant practice. He had watching so many examples of that, he said. The day your skill level explodes, the scouts will discover you, and so will your dreams. Just be pasient and keep believing, one day you will get paid.

Anymi
Veteran Member

Post by Anymi » 03 Oct 2009, 03:21

Thanks guys. Hopefully time will tell.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 03 Oct 2009, 13:54

Nothing can ever stop you from accomplishing your dreams if you want it enough.

If football is what you want more than anything else, then you will make it. Just putting the effort in and never giving up is all it takes. You will be up against people who have a headstart maybe, but you can catch up and over take them, just focus on improving yourself all the time.

mak9

Post by mak9 » 13 Dec 2009, 21:24

Anymi

you don't have worry about your age, just work really hard and when your ready to hit the gym, work with a personal trainer to learn about strength training. Focus on improving your fitness and running quickly in small spaces (ie. suicide runs).

Finally watch a lot of football matches. Watch it over and over again. Pick one player whos style you think suits you and take note at how he handles the ball.

I used to watch a match 4-5 times and taking note of how the forwards would turn with the ball. At what point on the field would the forward pass back. In what direction they would run. How many touches would they have in the whole game. How many shots.....etc.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 03 Jan 2010, 20:09

Watching other players on youtube is the best advice i can give you, you learn so much just by watching players...

Have you ever had the feeling when your playing with better players, that you play better? Its the same sort of thing, you sub-conscieously learn from your team mates and opposition and automatically start doing the same sort of things that their doing.

But don't limit yourself to watching one player, you can watch a whole variety of players and learn and pick up the good bits from every differnt type of players and overall learn alot more.

goodluck, i think you will make it mate :)

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 09 Jun 2010, 06:27

If you're going to take the time to spam our site at least form a coherent post and have a working link in your sig :roll: feels like you spammers aren't even trying anymore.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 09 Jun 2010, 18:45

Brown, how many times have I had to say to just ignore them? We'll deal with them, or you could flag them in the Help & Feedback section if you'd like. They're bots... They can't understand anything you post in response to them anyway.

In regards to the topic at hand, I'd like to know more about your opportunities. Do you play for a fairly big club for your level that travels a lot, or are you playing lots of rec. games?

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!