General Observations About Attitude.

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

General Observations About Attitude.

Post by Rome_Leader » 28 Jul 2009, 00:38

~~~A Roman Intro~~~

It's something that our parents and teachers put into our heads almost as soon as we are given heads to put stuff into. Inherent social traits such as tact, manners and the wise advice to say nothing at all if we have nothing good to say. That's attitude as it relates in the perspective by which others see us. Another definition of attitude synonymous with 'work ethic' is the means by which we drive ourselves to reach our goals (EX: A 'winning attitude' involves hard work and discipline.)

Too often, we are given the wrong image of what it means to have a proper attitude to succeed in sports. Too often, we hear of snobby, snotty players who neglect responsibility and are rude, self-destructive and seem to take for granted all that they have been given. This is generally re-enforced as they continue to make millions consequence free, no matter what they do, with their actions usually shrugged off as 'an internal matter' by team staff and PR. Somewhere along the line, these athletes forgot that matter how old or how successful they may be, they are not exempt from the rigors of good conduct.

I myself have always prided myself on being a great combination of skill meets 'genuine nice guy', as I'm sure many who've played with me or know me can attest to. You can still be just as intense a player, with just as much skill, but being an 'ass' really doesn't add to the splendor at all. It doesn't give you some edgy persona or the mental edge. It simply makes you look stupid, and is something you should avoid at all costs if you want to have a solid reputation.

It should be clear to all of us by now what attitude is, if it was not clear before. But how can we right a bad attitude? What are the benefits of having a GOOD attitude as opposed to a bad one, and is the reality of those classifications merely subjective? Hopefully, this thread will answer any and all questions you have about attitude, including the previous two, but if you have any more questions that still remain after you've finished reading, don't hesitate to fire back.

~~~The Benefits of Having a Good Attitude~~~

- You will be a more genuinely happy person with whom teammates and friends get along with and look up to, as well as a classy opponent that is respected.

- You will accomplish your goals faster due to increased focus and lack of unneeded distractions (EX: Disobeying curfew to party and unnecessary 'guarantees' that you have to live up to about scoring so many goals, or winning so many games)

- Being a positive person who plays the game for fun and enjoyment as well as to further their skills/career can positively influence your play. You will experience less on and off pitch stress, and will find that it is easier to ply the skill you always knew you had.

- When times are bad, nobody will be blaming you. You have been, and will continue to do, your very best, and have neither been braggadocios nor sulky and apathetic. People will recognize your dedication to the team and high spirits as a positive, and instead seek out other problematic elements of the team.

- If all else fails... At least you can say you kept a cool head, and were a pillar of charm. ;)

~~~How to Maintain a Good Attitude Both on and Off the Pitch~~~

- Understand that you must bring everything to the pitch but your emotional baggage, which is checked at the door. Conversely, leave every bit of your physical being and effort ON the pitch, and be sure to pick up your checked luggage with a smile at the end, congratulating teammates on good performances as well as being civil to opponents.

- Maintain a healthy lifestyle that includes proper sleep, nutrition and of course, exercise and training. Balance this with a healthy number of friends and recreation, and include some days off for 'just you', to relieve stress and restore your positive outlook on training and life.

- Every time you think about exhibiting an outburst towards an opponent or an official, try first to put yourself in their shoes. If the call missed was blatant, or the late challenge obviously malicious, deal with it in other ways then getting aggressive and souring your own mood. Calm yourself, and resolve to play through the hurdle, not allow yourself to be consumed by it and entangled in it.

- If a teammate makes a mistake, shout loud but positive encouragement or instruction to the teammate, rather then berating them. Chances are, they already know they ****ed up, and do not need to hear it from you. If you made the same mistake, that's exactly what you'd be thinking. Do your best to remind them they can do better, and to offer some help, but leave it at that.

- A loss is a loss is a loss. Even the best teams in the world can have them, or have STRINGS of them, but the best teams realize that sometimes, life and football is unlucky, and you will see those 50-50 balls end up on the opponent's foot and in the back of your net. Sometimes, you will just have bad form that will not cure itself for a few games. The only way you can combat it is by keeping the same game face you have at the very height of your winning streaks, and intensifying training to try and rectify any mistakes.

- At the same time, winning is great, but you know from your losing that being the 2nd best side doesn't feel too good. Your win is reward enough, and only the worst players have to rub it in with excessive celebration to make themselves feel better. Be civil to the other team, and let them know they played a hard fought contest, and you respect that. You may find the favour returned the next time you are on the losing end.

- Keep sight of your goals, and realize that distractions like hatred and sulking are only extending the long road to them. Think of every positive thing you can do to help your game and team as sort of a shortcut which you must always take full advantage of.

~~~Closing~~~

There's not a lot you can do about people who have a bad attitude. They exist in all walks of life, and may actually be more prevalent in celebrities and sports stars. However, make no mistake... The best thing you can do for your playing, your career, and your life is to approach everything positively with a good attitude, because it will pay off for you in dividends in the end. For every Sean Avery and Cristiano Ronaldo, who seem to spit in the face of good tact and professionalism, there will always be somebody like you who is modest, good-natured... And still is one hell of a threat on the pitch. ;)

^^^Now THAT'S what I call winning attitude!^^^

~~~A Roman Production~~~

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

BuzzingBee
Veteran Member

Post by BuzzingBee » 28 Jul 2009, 02:23

having a strong mentality is great because honestly i just helps you sail through life,also its nice that someone else is teaching this because for me its not like i have someone to tell me this, if anyone is like me i have VERY unsupportive parents. who love me lots,but i think i have in inherited their cynical attitude towards life... i learnt quite a bit,and obviously you tell me this all when it we talk,overall its GREAT i rate it five stars? and its a great format 8)
Practice and drive are all you need, You will become good, if not great, and then, if you wish to go further, the opportunities will come to you - Rome_Leader

BuzzingBee's at it again

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 28 Jul 2009, 02:53

Great post Rome as always!
Maintain a healthy lifestyle that includes proper sleep, nutrition and of course, exercise and training. Balance this with a healthy number of friends and recreation, and include some days off for 'just you', to relieve stress and restore your positive outlook on training and life.
This is very true. I like to call these "mental health days". Usually its a day after a week or so of tough workouts, or a really stressful week in school (finals or midterms). I take the day off completely, sleep in, catch up on tv shows I haven't had time to watch, just relax.

prof_raza

Re: General Observations About Attitude.

Post by prof_raza » 28 Jul 2009, 06:23

An excellent post, puts in a lot of things in the right perspective.
I must admit, controlling attitude on the pitch is very difficult. I can sight my own example, I am very kind hearted person off the pitch, but on it, I am very aggressive, I would say even more aggressive than a shark. Any kick on the shin is met with an elbow on the face or a hard body check. I have tried to actively control it, but to no avail.
Rome_Leader wrote: Calm yourself, and resolve to play through the hurdle, not allow yourself to be consumed by it and entangled in it.
But the above quote is something I will now keep on reading every day until it gets engrained into my memory. It is very crucial no not get entagled into any hurdles - one loses sight of the bigger picture - the Zidane incident during the world cup finals highlights this more than any other example.

Thanks Rome!

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 28 Jul 2009, 11:39

BuzzingBee wrote:having a strong mentality is great because honestly i just helps you sail through life,also its nice that someone else is teaching this because for me its not like i have someone to tell me this, if anyone is like me i have VERY unsupportive parents. who love me lots,but i think i have in inherited their cynical attitude towards life... i learnt quite a bit,and obviously you tell me this all when it we talk,overall its GREAT i rate it five stars? and its a great format 8)
You're right, BB. Your parents do love you even if their attitude can be cynical at times. That's probably just their way. I think it's up to you to change their minds by really succeeding in soccer or some other area, as I know you can. ;)

Thanks for the kind words, all. ;) Yeah Prof, I know you can change your ways! :p Lashing out after being rapped late on the shin or something is certainly the fastest and easiest route at the time, but it can often lead to worse consequences that just pile up for you. Keep at it. ;)

All roads lead to Rome.

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Post by NewBornProdigy » 28 Jul 2009, 12:48

Great post bruv, giving it a five

I always have found someones attitude on the pitch is a direct expression of their true personality

They may have a cover on them off the pitch, but on it their insecurities and frustrations tend to come out and reveal their true colours
Its really amazing, because some people seem like such good people, but when you see howe truly selfish or insecure they are its awakening

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 28 Jul 2009, 17:01

NewBornProdigy wrote:Great post bruv, giving it a five

I always have found someones attitude on the pitch is a direct expression of their true personality

They may have a cover on them off the pitch, but on it their insecurities and frustrations tend to come out and reveal their true colours
Its really amazing, because some people seem like such good people, but when you see howe truly selfish or insecure they are its awakening
I've seen this first hand. I played in an adult coed league, a lot of egos. Ex players trying to show they still had it, young college age guys trying to show off, taking everything so seriously. There was one team that would complain to the ref after every call that went against them. One guy on the team during a game in which my team played against him, argued with the ref after a call. The ref was having enough of the abuse and I can't blame him. This was an adult league set up for fun. The guy got a yellow for talking back. After he was shown the yellow he walked away and mumbled a curse word (forget which one) and the ref gave him a second yellow.

He missed the next game and the next game I saw him play in he got another red card. He was kicked out of the league.He was a good player. Some people really hinder themselves by not being able to control thier attitude.

mister_rating

Post by mister_rating » 28 Jul 2009, 17:37

Very nice post. But how can you combine modesty with *knowing you are the best* attitude?

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 28 Jul 2009, 18:14

Simple. The only person you tell yourself you are 'best' is you. The only way you are going to get any better is to have confidence, of course. Whenever someone else tells you you are great, graciously accept the compliment, but point out that your team helped you win the game or pull off that amazing play, and it was impossible to do without them.

Simply put, in your own head, you are the greatest, but in actually, there is always someone better, and you need to recognize that. Don't go around ACTING as if you are the greatest thing to ever kick a ball, but keep the mindset within your own head that you can do anything just as good or better than the next guy if you really try.

All roads lead to Rome.