Help me get faster!

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
evolutionr91

Help me get faster!

Post by evolutionr91 » 19 May 2009, 06:26

Hey I would like to know what are the best training routines to get faster. What I want is to have better acceleration and a higher top speed. I also want to have that explosiveness speed on the field.

What I've been doing and just started this week specifically for getting faster was:

Suicides
40yd sprints
Stairs(been doing this for couple months)
Jogging/sprint around field (start jogging the length of the field and sprint the width)

Now I don't know if this will all help me get faster but it's what my friend has recommended me to work on.

I've been looking at videos on youtube about proper running and sprinting technique to try to adapt to that. Also been looking at videos of usain bolt to see how he sprints.

Oh I forgot to mention I did some weight training (weighted squats) to help build some muscle but I've stopped doing that for now and I want to work a bit more on the actual running now.

so if you guys can please point me in the right direction on what I can do to get faster please post up! I have a race in about a months time as well against a friend ($20 wager) and I really want to smoke him.

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Post by pickyourheadup » 19 May 2009, 13:44

Everything that you are already doing is great.

I'd recommend for you to add plyometrics into your routine

Heres some information put together by expert:

Principles
From a mechanical point of view, there are two types of muscle motion: concentric and eccentric.

A. The process of shortening or tightening the muscle is known as concentric contraction. A classic example is jumping - the legs are propelled upward because their muscles spasm and release force on the floor. The concentric contraction of muscles depends solely on neuroreceptors, called muscle spindle that run parallel to the muscle fibers. During physical activity, neuroreceptors get activated when the muscles are stretched with enough force and cause muscles to contract (muscle stretch reflex) by sending a message through a reflex arc in the Central Nervous System.

B. Eccentric muscle contraction occurs as the body, or a particular part of it, decelerates. When an athlete's leg contacts the ground during running, his leg's muscles contract eccentrically, shortening and absorbing the force generated by the inertia of his entire body. This type of adaptation is extremely hard on the body, particularly the joints. The natural elasticity and need of returning to their resting position contributes to the eccentric contraction of the muscles.

Plyometrics exercises allow your muscles to respond more quickly and fully by stimulating the neuromuscular system. In order to make the most efficient use of the stretch reflex and elasticity, concentric and eccentric contractions must be loaded on a muscle in a rapid consecutive manner. What that means is that more power will be produced when tightening the muscles, right after lengthening them.

Training drills
Most plyometric drills are made up of series of jumps. When executing them, one should strive for maximum "air time" and minimum ground contact. Plyometric exercises improve agility as well as explosive power by incorporating elements from both weight and speed training. Plyometric training is very dangerous. It should not be practiced on hard surfaces because of the strain it has on joints, especially the knees.

Double hop

Standing with both feet together, jump up as high as you can. While leaping, try to bring your knees up to the chest. Re-launch yourself as soon as you contact the ground.

Agility
Stand beside a soccer ball or cone and leap over it from one side to the other. Try to propel yourself as high as you can. Remember not to spread your feet apart and to leap momentarily each time you touch the ground.

Forward leap
Set up a line of cones, spaced according to your leaping ability. Start from one end, jumping from cone to cone with your feet together. Try landing near each cone while getting as much height as possible.

What exactly are you doing with stairs? If you are only running up, I'd suggest you add these drills:

-High Knees all the way up. Stay on your toes.
-Sprint--pause for .5-1 sec---Sprint from the bottom of the stair case to the next stair case. Do this between each rep of stairs.
-Hop with wide stance up the stairs. Feet should be shoulder width apart. Stay on your toes.
-Hop with feet together from one side of the stair to the opposite side of the next. Stay on your toes.
-Sideways high knees up the stairs (one rep facing left, one rep facing right)
**All the stair drills are dont one stair at a time. For High Knees, challenge your self by bringing your knees higher while doing the drill faster.

This drill can be done one the stairs, but you only need one step:

Calf raises--
-Place your toes on the edge of a stair. You may hold on to something for balance.
-Lower your feet (keeping your legs straight the whole time) to the extreme low.
Pause for 1 sec.
-Raise them to mid level
Pause for 1 sec
-Raise them to the highest position
Pause for 1 sec
-Reverse

*Be sure to stretch properly before and after this drill!

I'd either continue doing some squats every so often. But you can also combine strength and speed training. This is what I did with a team one time:

Lunges for 10m
Push-ups/Crunches (your choice)
Sprint for 10m
Push-ups/Crunches
Lunges for 10m
Reverse (turn around and do the drill again)

Also, you should do some more core and upper body work with your upper body, such as abs.

-Crunches, Situps
-Twisting crunches (turn from side to side, while flexing your abs. No upward movement, just side to side).
-Medicine Ball situps

The upper body helps continue your speed. You should notice this in hill sprinting.

Here are some upper body drills that I do:

-Pull ups (hands facing away and hands facing towards you. Be sure to change the distance between your hands to train different muscles.)
-Holding two 10-15 pounds weights together with the palm of your hands.
Pressing them towards each other will keep them from falling.
Start at your chest.
Move outward about 2ft from your chest.
Count to 8.
Move back to your chest slowly.
Repeat.
-Shoulder shrugs (20-40 pound bar, including weights. The placement of your hands can train different muscles, just like pull ups).
-Tricep dips (place your hands and feet on two elevated surfaces. Dip your body down so that your arms from a 90 degree angle. You legs should not be bending).

Hill sprinting/ running will also help your speed.

-Technique for hills running:
Stay on your toes for the most part
-Use proper running technique (Move each hand up to the mouth area..as if you are eating a cookie =D)
-Use your upper body to help out your legs.
-No need to accelerate up the hill. Maintaining the same speed all the way up is important.

Heres some more information:
http://running.about.com/od/trainingess ... unning.htm

You can also incorporate the hopping you do in stairs to hills.

Finally here is some running information by expert

http://www.expertfootball.com/training/ ... aining.php

Also here is a topic start by Nat_H, where he asked how plyometrics can help him. Some people also posted some exercises he could do:
viewtopic.php?t=15201
Last edited by pickyourheadup on 02 Sep 2009, 02:08, edited 1 time in total.
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

Post by MUFC1994 » 19 May 2009, 20:23

suicides and sprinting and jogging around the field are more of endurance excercises, therfore you will not gain speed. But try doing some strength and weightlifting focusing primarily on your shoulders, core, calves, hamstrings, and quads.

Also, add some plyos.

also try this website: Athleticquickness.com
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

evolutionr91

Post by evolutionr91 » 20 May 2009, 03:01

hey thanks for the responses and all the information.

As for the stairs what I've been doing is go up the stairs as fast as I can (going up every single step of course) trying to get my knee's high. Mind you I do this in my building which is 11 floors and I try to push it all the way to the 11th floor on every lap.

After I get to the top I walk/jog across to the other set of stairs and go down as quickly as I can without jumping down or missing a step. Then I start at the bottom and go all the way up again.

Usually I only do 2-3 laps (up and down). So far no injuries by doing this and it has helped with endurance and also my friends said they have noticed me getting a little bit faster.

Today I tried the plyometric training and boy was it hard and weird to do. Only did a little bit of it because I was tired and it felt like I was doing something wrong.

BTW I try to do ab work whenever I can to build strength for more balance when running.

Every now and then I use my dumb bells (25lbs) and do some curls and other excersizes for my triceps.

Thanks again guys for the in depth responses I really appreciate it and I will add this to my training :D [/i]