Weights

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
Anymi
Veteran Member

Weights

Post by Anymi » 29 Dec 2008, 22:44

As you have probably heard me ravel on about for ages, I want to get faster.

Im doing weights only with dumbbells for power rather than just brute strength.

I have heard though the best way to get faster is to make muscles fast rather than powerful.

Would the weights help and if not what would?

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Post by NewBornProdigy » 29 Dec 2008, 23:03

Well I think you mean make your muscles powerful not only strong

Use weights to build up your maximal strenght then convert that strenght to explosive power (how quick and powerfully it contracts)
To convert strenght to power plyometerics are the best way along with LOADS of stretching
Also if you fancy getting powerful arms, bodyweight excercises (pushups and situps) are the best way to get the strenght (low risk of hurting your back) then convert it to power through functional excercises that require you using muscles quickly and powerfully:
-Boxing
-Cart Wheels and Hand Stands
-Clap Pushups

Also alot of sprinting is good if you need speed cause thats a good power excercise

mint
EF Drug Baron

Post by mint » 29 Dec 2008, 23:18

NewBornProdigy wrote:Also alot of sprinting is good if you need speed cause thats a good power excercise
yeah thats what my dad says, he used to be a really really fast runner when he was younger and he does martial arts now, but he says if you want to go faster just run a lot and that has sort of helped me get faster then what i was.
i was made to ignite

Middleman13
Veteran Member

Post by Middleman13 » 30 Dec 2008, 02:26

Work out.

Do different sprint exercises
Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you will die today.

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

Post by Kakasgotskillz » 31 Dec 2008, 04:07

Middleman13 wrote:Work out.

Do different sprint exercises
That's really the solution being put the easy way. You gotta split "sprinting" exercises into different categories, I'm not gonna bother explaining them, I'll just list them (they're everywhere on the internet):
Plyometrics (Explosiveness)
Fartleks (Speed Endurance)
Uphill Training (Speed Endurance)
Sprints (Max speed)
Core (Stability + Explosiveness)
Leg Strength (Explosiveness, more for physical stability though IMO and Resting Heart rate)
Interval Training (Speed Endurance + Resting Heart rate)
Cardio (Endurance and Resting heart rate)

INTER1908
Veteran Member

Re: Weights

Post by INTER1908 » 31 Dec 2008, 04:19

Anymi wrote:As you have probably heard me ravel on about for ages, I want to get faster.

Im doing weights only with dumbbells for power rather than just brute strength.

I have heard though the best way to get faster is to make muscles fast rather than powerful.

Would the weights help and if not what would?
I don't get what your asking. Brute strength and power are the same things in my opinion. If a person squats 300 pounds and another person squats 250 than the person with the 300 pound squat is going to have that much more power to accelerate and push off the ground to get to top speed. If your only doing dumbbells than doing lunges with those dumbbells is a good excersise.
Made by 2Brown.

Anymi
Veteran Member

Post by Anymi » 31 Dec 2008, 21:47

I have just heard that doing execises nice and slow with alot of weight and less reps makes you buff and strong.
Doing exercises with less weight and more reps and doing them faster increases the power, that your legs can produce.
Just the strength training makes you heavy and slow. Ive rboth read and heard this.

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

Post by Kakasgotskillz » 01 Jan 2009, 02:14

Anymi wrote:I have just heard that doing execises nice and slow with alot of weight and less reps makes you buff and strong.
Doing exercises with less weight and more reps and doing them faster increases the power, that your legs can produce.
Just the strength training makes you heavy and slow. Ive rboth read and heard this.
True and false. Doing exercises nice and slow with alot of weight compared to doing it nice and fast, makes for a difference in endurance only, because the force is exerted for a longer period of time. Buff and strong (aka toning) is only partially met by doing reps slowly, the most important way to tone is to constantly use the muscle (like in soccer and sport, why athletes get huge thighs even though they're not weight training their thighs).

All athletes have to strength train. But there's a certain limit, ex. making your bicep so big that you can no longer reach behind you, that's too much. Just enough that satisfies you, and it's gotta be balanced with speed training.

Rocky
Veteran Member

Post by Rocky » 01 Jan 2009, 02:28

Anymi wrote:I have just heard that doing execises nice and slow with alot of weight and less reps makes you buff and strong.
Thats true. What you're talking about is fast and slow twitch muscles.

In my opinion, if you want to get faster (build fast twitch muscles) then do fast movements/sprints for a short distance and to help you improve faster you need resistance which will make you give even more than you have and it will also make you more powerful/explosive.

Things like running up hills (about 40m) will make you faster and give you more power. But you need to give everything you have when you do it. You can't jog or some sh*t like that.

Also running down hills will give you quick feet.

I've probably mentioned this hundreds of times on this forum. And trust me; it has seriously helped me allot. Before I only used to have the quick feet but I could never run the 40m fast. I guess there was something wrong with my sprinting technique, which also is important, and running up hills will improve your sprinting technique too because when you run up hills you lean yourself forward and it feels like someones holding you and you're just giving everything too make them let go. After you have done that a couple of times, try to run a straight road. You'll notice the difference. I guarantee you, you will become faster, more powerful and your sprinting technique will improve. You will actually start leaning yourself automatically forward when you're about to accelerate. like I said, the technique is important and not just the speed. Its important to stay balanced, something I have problems with... Sometimes I lean so much forward when I accelerate that I actually fall down on my face after a couple of meters :lol: So remember to stay balanced.

You could also put weights on you and sprint/dribble the ball/take stepovers like C.Ronaldo used to do when he was a kid, and he's pretty fast now, but I heard it can lead to injuries.

I also saw once this guy who used kinetic bands while dribbling and stuff.. That could help you too but in my opinion, you don't need to even use money to get faster.

Jumping rope could also help you allot. But you need to do it fast and give 100% when you do it.

Anyway.. Back to weights; too much weight doesn't nessecarily need to mean slow twitch muscle fibers, but I think that if you do things slow, you will eventually become slow. If you do things fast, and give everything you've got when you do it, then you will become fast. Thats why it's important to be fresh when you're gonna try and become faster; so you can give everything you've got and make sure to not have the attitude ''Nah today im tired, ima give it a 60%'' pffffffft!!!!!!!!

I seriously guarantee you the running up hills... I try to do it everyday.. Ima give it a go tomorrow as I haven't been working out that much in the holidays 8)

The only thing I think about is to become faster and when I'm faster then I want to become even faster and the same with strong.. I think I've totally forgotten the ball :P

BTW: If you want to become faster and more powerful with your hands, I suggest shadow boxing with weights.

Good luck, mate.
That's really the solution being put the easy way. You gotta split "sprinting" exercises into different categories, I'm not gonna bother explaining them, I'll just list them (they're everywhere on the internet):
Plyometrics (Explosiveness)
Fartleks (Speed Endurance)
Uphill Training (Speed Endurance)
Sprints (Max speed)
Core (Stability + Explosiveness)
Leg Strength (Explosiveness, more for physical stability though IMO and Resting Heart rate)
Interval Training (Speed Endurance + Resting Heart rate)
Cardio (Endurance and Resting heart rate)
Thats also a pretty good advice, right there!

EDIT: Also one of the fastest athletes the world has ever seen, Bruce Lee, used to swim allot and do allot of plyometrics.. I don't think he started with weights until he was 27... I might be wrong.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7216/Martial- ... ng-Secrets
If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.

First say to yourself what you would be, and then do what you have to do.

What the mind of man can concieve and believe, it can achieve.

INTER1908
Veteran Member

Post by INTER1908 » 01 Jan 2009, 08:26

When your weight lifting (squat or bench or whatever.) you are supposed to go down slow and explode up as fast as you can. Doing a low weight but repping it a ton of times is going to make you tone (i.e. what chicks do, so they look good and in shape.) so if you want that than go for it.

Here is an answer for your exact question.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 905AATQ4pV
Made by 2Brown.

Anymi
Veteran Member

Post by Anymi » 01 Jan 2009, 09:47

Thanks fellas, I looked at that yahoo answers thing and its pretty good Inter. Thanks Rocky too for all that info. Just a Q. What distance do you run up hill and how many times/sets/reps?
Thanks Kaka and NBP aswell.

Im gonna work the quads and calves out 3 times a week. Swim and run and plyos the in between days.

Rocky im in the same boat as you man. Always had quick feet just not that explosveness

Shifty_FSU
Veteran Member

Post by Shifty_FSU » 01 Jan 2009, 10:44

- And is the hill quite steep?
Fight for the name on the front, n they'll remember the name on the back.

http://pitch.co/entry/46412
^Vote please? :)

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Post by NewBornProdigy » 01 Jan 2009, 14:43

Anything more than 30-40degrees is too much, it can lead to injury
As for ankle weights only use them when doing leg lifts and leg press'
They fu** up your ligaments if you use them for sprinting and agility work.

Make sure to rest at least once a week, thats when your muscles build up and you improve

Anymi
Veteran Member

Post by Anymi » 04 Jan 2009, 20:34

Will Do NBP.

I also dont have access to ankle weights so its ok, just Rocky how far should i run up this hill and for how long/reps/sets?

Anymi
Veteran Member

Post by Anymi » 09 Jan 2009, 09:47

Sand hills?