American Soccer Scholarsips

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
monty

I live in Scotland and I'm 15 years old.
I am one of the better players in the SOS League and good in the classroom.
I was just wondering on the chances of me getting a scholarship in the USA once I'm finished school, what do they especially look for and would it automatically almost, make me a pro?

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Playing college soccer doesn't guarantee you anything. It's hard to get an athletic scholarship even if you live in the usa. I think only 2% of athletes get scholarships. Also teams only have a limited number of them, most will go to the athlete who needs it the most financially. I'm not sure what you would need since your international. International students need to meet different requirments for college admissions. You'd have to wait at least 3 years. Most students in the usa don't start college until 18.

Your probably better off staying in your country unless you want to come over here for an education.

I don't think college soccer improves your game, just my opinion. Just because you play in college doesn't mean you will go pro. There are tons of players who played in college and didn't make it.

Since you live in Scotland you have an EU passport. You can play anywhere in the world. When your older try getting an agent and see what happens. I don't know if your trying to get to MLS but the pay range sucks. Most kids who are signed out of college only make $12,000 a year (ie thats very very very low). Most pro's who have been playing for 10 years make less than 50K. You could make twice if not 3 times that in any European country.

INTER1908
Veteran Member

Don't come unless for an education. You could probably easily make an ok if your as good as you say but your oppurtunities or so much better over there. I would love to have the oppurtunities you have at scotland.

Most of the players who go from college to the MLS only go to the college for 2 or 3 years before going to the MLS. They usually just aren't good enough when they graduate highschool. So they go to college to get more mature.
Made by 2Brown.

panchester07
Veteran Member

They are right i would stay in Europe too. But i know its harder in Europe, cause the level is far superior, so if you are " dominating " in Scotland, you would kill in usa wihtout a doubt. ( country with no tradition in the sport compared to scotland, )

So I recommend of course making a video, and if you write to a coach in university, telling him how good you are, he will probably invite you to a camp, i got invited to 3 this year.
In the email tell them how good you are and your personal successes.
Sometimes you dont even need to get invited to a camp, you just search on the internet, for the school of your choice camp.
Most are very fun, and if you are THAT good like you say you are, and i believe you, then youll be fine and get that mfin scholarship.

I dont know if you will like the system, college "soccer" is only 18 months a year, its molded after other college sports but i personally think it sucks, its like trying to teach Tarzan to be part of a civilizied society, thats not how football is done, or how it was meant to be done, the majority of americans i have met make this game the most boring game ever..

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

panchester07 wrote:
I dont know if you will like the system, college "soccer" is only 18 months a year, its molded after other college sports but i personally think it sucks, its like trying to teach Tarzan to be part of a civilizied society, thats not how football is done, or how it was meant to be done, the majority of americans i have met make this game the most boring game ever..
Yep. You also have to perform in the classroom. If you don't make certain grades you won't be able to play until your grades improve.

I don't like college soccer but that is how it is done over here. All players think if they can't/don't play in college then their hopes of a career are over. It's not true, I don't think college soccer helps at all. I just see it as an incentive in college. Kids would be better off playing PDL or doing USL (though Usl will affect your college eligability I believe,pdl does not).

INTER1908
Veteran Member

panchester07 wrote:They are right i would stay in Europe too. But i know its harder in Europe, cause the level is far superior, so if you are " dominating " in Scotland, you would kill in usa wihtout a doubt. ( country with no tradition in the sport compared to scotland, )

So I recommend of course making a video, and if you write to a coach in university, telling him how good you are, he will probably invite you to a camp, i got invited to 3 this year.
Sometimes you dont even need to get invited to a camp, you just search on the internet, for the school of your choice camp.
Most are very fun, and if you are THAT good like you say you are, and i believe you, then youll be fine and get that mfin scholarship.

Lol how do we make it boring? (not offended, just thought that was funny.) Where are you from Panchester?
Made by 2Brown.

monty

What are USL and PDL?
I'm not at the top in Scotland, I am one of the better players in the under-17 league for my region.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

PDL is designed for college players or players under 23. The games take place in the summer, you are not paid.

USL 1 and 2 and the 2nd and third tier of soccer in the usa. You get paid but it isn't very much at all. I'd say a couple hundred dollars a week.

monty

Just how good at football do you need to be?
I don't know how you could scale it.
Also, how good do your results need to be in school, as a rough guide?

monty

Just how good at football do you need to be?
I don't know how you could scale it.
Also, how good do your results need to be in school, as a rough guide?
Can anyone help me??
Derek Ferguson, stop killing our club, GTF!!

The Cooshed is my second home! :D

panchester07
Veteran Member

INTER1908 wrote:
panchester07 wrote:They are right i would stay in Europe too. But i know its harder in Europe, cause the level is far superior, so if you are " dominating " in Scotland, you would kill in usa wihtout a doubt. ( country with no tradition in the sport compared to scotland, )

Lol how do we make it boring? (not offended, just thought that was funny.) Where are you from Panchester?
Panama, mom is brazilian.. so i played two years with Santos from 11-13. living with my grandparents. now i will start playing with a reserve pro team here in panama i hope.

Yeah no offense or anything, but i have played and been coached by US coaches and hate the style. they tell you to much how to play, receive, pass , receive pass, yes thats the most effective way, and "play simple" but it gets boring, players need personality, to beat a man, they need to have fantasy you know, US "soccer" is to mechanical, when you are here, do this, when you are here, do that, thats great but, you cant really become a pro just from repeating this and doing it over and over. I rather learn it in the streets playing for hours, its much more fun, than just doing drill after drill. I dont think i explained myself well, i hope anybody understood and once again no offence!

INTER1908
Veteran Member

panchester07 wrote:
INTER1908 wrote:

Panama, mom is brazilian.. so i played two years with Santos from 11-13. living with my grandparents. now i will start playing with a reserve pro team here in panama i hope.

Yeah no offense or anything, but i have played and been coached by US coaches and hate the style. they tell you to much how to play, receive, pass , receive pass, yes thats the most effective way, and "play simple" but it gets boring, players need personality, to beat a man, they need to have fantasy you know, US "soccer" is to mechanical, when you are here, do this, when you are here, do that, thats great but, you cant really become a pro just from repeating this and doing it over and over. I rather learn it in the streets playing for hours, its much more fun, than just doing drill after drill. I dont think i explained myself well, i hope anybody understood and once again no offence!
No, I understood. I agree, I think the best way to get better is to just play. It's so hard to find a pick up game in america.
Made by 2Brown.

bom1221

wat is SOS? and if i were u i would just try out for the celtics. see what happens :D

monty

SOS is South of Scotland.

monty

Do the college players get drafted into the MLS?