Balance Guide

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
David_93

Balance Guide

Post by David_93 » 13 Jan 2008, 13:56

Balance Guide

I will make a guide, because this is my 100th post, and I would give something back, to this exellent site. I couldn't find any guide about balance, so I decided to write about the important part of the game. So this guide it's about balance. How important is balance, and how to improve balance.

How important is balance?

Balance is very important in the game of football. If you just think about it, how often do you need good balance? Firstly when you challenge a opponent 1v1, and you should do lunge, stepovers, the mathews or a another dribbling move. It's all about to fake you going to one side, and then you going to the opposite side. Then you need good balance to do a fake, and quickly move your body to the opposite side. Just look at Messi, how good balance he has when he doing moves. http://youtube.com/watch?v=LYmghqczklU&feature=related

When you should take a down a long ball, then you have to balance on one leg, your supporting leg, and then take the ball down with the trapping foot. It requires good balance to stand on one leg, while you trapping.

And it's not stopping with that when you volley, you need good balance to do a good volley. When you volley you stand on one lag, and often sideways. So it's no question about a good volley requires good balance. Also when you shooting and passing, you stand one on leg, so you also need balance there too.

And when you defending 1v1 you need good balance to not being tricked on ass. So I hope you have understand it's very important with balance in football, and when you train balance you improve almost all aspects of the game. So now, how can you improve balance?

How can you improve balance?

I have three ways to imporve balance: Standing on one leg exercices, jumping rope, balance board, and getting a six-pack. If someone have others ways to improve, please post, and I would edit it on.

Standing on one leg exercices
The first exercice is little hard to explain, but I hope you understand. You should stand on your left leg. Have your gravity as low as possible. You should stand like a man who iceskating, so low as possible, then jump over to the right, and land on the right leg. Find your balance, and jump back again. It's important that when you land, don't jump over again, because you don't have balance right away. Find your balance and use yours arms. When you have balance, then you can jump to left again, and keep going. I usually do this 10x3 times 2-3 times in week.
A another exercice is to balance on one leg, and you could do this to make it more challenging:
- Closing your eyes
- Swaying in a circle while still balancing
- Bending your knee up in down
- Shifting your weight from side to side as far as possible
- Doing squats, while standing one on leg.
- Whatching up in the roof or the sky, while balancing on one leg

Jumping rope
It's help not only with balance, but stamina, speed, stength in legs. So doing jumping rope is a good exercice for overall fitness and balance.

Balance board
A balance board works well if you have one. Practice standing on it with your arms out at first for balance, then without your arms. Furthermore, you can do squats which increases the difficulty of balancing by around double.

Six-pack
Read this guide from Soccer4life : viewtopic.php?t=9546 A six-pack would help you getting better balance.
When you

I would edit on a great habit every footballer should have. Every time you brush you teeth, stand on one leg, and try to find the balance. Swaying around or watching in the roof, whatever makes it challenging. If you do that 2 mins in the morning while brushing and 2 mins in the evening, then you have a great habit.

Okay, so now the guide is done, I hope you have enjoy it. If it's some grammar-wrong, it would be good if a moderator could adjust it. (English is my second language). And if someone have some info to make the guide better, just post it.
Last edited by David_93 on 24 Jan 2008, 10:38, edited 3 times in total.

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Post by Soccer4Life » 13 Jan 2008, 18:20

Bravo, mate! Nice and original guide.

In addition to balancing on one leg, here are some variations:
- Closing your eyes

Those are a little more challenging than just hoping form one leg to another, although that is still a good drill to improve.

David_93

Post by David_93 » 13 Jan 2008, 18:37

I have edited it now. Thanks
But it's not just hoping from one leg to a another. Your gravity should be as low as possible, then without standing up, jump to the side, while keep your gravity low, and your body low. Just hoping from one leg to another is to easy.

Rulezzz
Veteran Member

Post by Rulezzz » 13 Jan 2008, 18:42

nice guide mate :)

I dont have very good balance i need to read it properly later!
CRYSTAL PALACE FC
keller8
"If you don't believe in yourself why should anyone else?" Andrei Shevchencko.

David_93

Post by David_93 » 13 Jan 2008, 18:59

If you have bad balance, I recommend to read the guide, because balance is a important part of the game.

Clumsylegs
Veteran Member

Post by Clumsylegs » 13 Jan 2008, 19:46

Good guide, I think I should start doing these "Standing in one leg exercises" every night before I go to sleep. I'm going to be very tall, I mean Peter Crouch tall, so I need to make my balance better.

David_93

Post by David_93 » 13 Jan 2008, 19:49

Yeah, I'm going to be quite tall I too. 1.92 meters I think, I am 1.83 meters now, and I am 15 in 5 months. So I have to get good balance.

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

Post by Kakasgotskillz » 13 Jan 2008, 20:02

Soccer4Life wrote:Bravo, mate! Nice and original guide.

In addition to balancing on one leg, here are some variations:
- Closing your eyes

Those are a little more challenging than just hoping form one leg to another, although that is still a good drill to improve.
Also, a balance board works well if you have one. Practice standing on it with your arms out at first for balance, then without your arms. Furthermore, you can do squats which increases the difficulty of balancing by around double.

and 100 posts? I see more than that. You gotta learn to count man :wink:

David_93

Post by David_93 » 13 Jan 2008, 20:25

I have editet now. Thanks
But this guide is my 100th post, It says it is the 106 post, but that is because I have wrote 4 replys in this thread after the guide and one in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=11750 and one in my progress log: viewtopic.php?t=11623

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 16 Jan 2008, 04:09

Great guide. Reminds me a lot of a book I received from expert, balance is critical.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

David_93

Post by David_93 » 16 Jan 2008, 15:15

Thanks, It was my coach who get my the idea, of how important balance was. When I saw it was not any guide about balance here (Hope I'm not take wrong now) I decided to write one self. So I'll give credit to my coach.

Rulezzz
Veteran Member

Post by Rulezzz » 24 Jan 2008, 10:05

It would be nice if a mod could move this to featured articles, it would be nice to have this somewhere i would remember, for future references :)
CRYSTAL PALACE FC
keller8

David_93

Post by David_93 » 24 Jan 2008, 10:46

I'm really glad you think the guide is worth to be placed to featured articles. And I hope some others think too. I have edit on a good habit, So maybe the guide be a little more helpful.
David_93 wrote:I would edit on a great habit every footballer should have. Every time you brush you teeth, stand on one leg, and try to find the balance. Swaying around or watching in the roof, whatever makes it challenging. If you do that 2 mins in the morning while brushing and 2 mins in the evening, then you have a great habit.

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 24 Jan 2008, 21:47

Yes, I was about to do that before, but like always, I got sidetracked and forgot. It's moved now.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

Rulezzz
Veteran Member

Post by Rulezzz » 25 Jan 2008, 11:35

rzadzinski wrote:Yes, I was about to do that before, but like always, I got sidetracked and forgot. It's moved now.
nice stuff rzad :)
CRYSTAL PALACE FC
keller8