How to win headers

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
englishplayer

I want to know what is the best way to win headers over people that are bigger than me. I am fairly small, I don't have much muscle or height so I want to know when a ball is up in the air and I have to fight to win the ball over someone bigger than me how should I try to win the header. Is there a good way to knock this person off balance without getting a foul called or anything.

BosnianNedim

pull them by their jersey so they can't jump...make sure you watch out for the ref and only pull when you are really close to them..

englishplayer

Alright thanks, another thing I was taught when I was a defender was to rest your arm on their shoulder and push off of them to get higher plus it makes it hard for them to jump. Does this work for winning headers up in the air as well as corner kicks?

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

If I am not mistaken, certain plometrics will help increase your ability to jump higher, maybe give this a shot?

cyxstudio

hey, pulling others jersey is a foul!!!

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Sorry, I took you as another person, so I went nuts at first. This is an edited post. Please, this is a dead topic! Don't post in it! That's a totally useless answer and nobody cares anymore!! So post in recent topics please!!!
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

rzadzinski wrote:Sorry, I took you as another person, so I went nuts at first. This is an edited post. Please, this is a dead topic! Don't post in it! That's a totally useless answer and nobody cares anymore!! So post in recent topics please!!!
There is nothing wrong with opening a new conversation. You can't say no one cares about it anymore. This thread could help someone new. It's better to open an old thread rather then create a new one.

Steve11
Sophomore Member

I've been told that another good way is to stand on the opponents toes/foot when you jump. That way they can't. :twisted:

Unfortunately I think this is also classed as a foul. :D
FREE PROGRAMM-DOWNLOADS !!!

CLICK ON THE LINK AND TAKE A LOOK AT THE ME PAGE (mich)

http://myworld.ebay.at/johnhssf/

Steve

P.S: Addresses worth looking at

http://www.austrianretreats.com/catalogue/index.php
http://www.fishwithus.org/portal/index.php

Viduka
Veteran Member

Just jump before them, only time it slightly before though. Also Im quite small but im a great jumper. I win all my headers except if its pelted like 50 metres in the air, id rather not go for it :P Specially with the hard mitre balls.

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

U really have to time it. And the ability to hang in the air...

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

And you can get better hangtime(the ability to hang in the air) by strengthening your abs.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

fir_nev wrote:U really have to time it. And the ability to hang in the air...
Exactly.

You have to jump so that you will reach your peak height the instant you contact the ball. This way you will not get extremely powerful headers, but you will have a much greater chance of winning the ball.

opm
Sophomore Member

something that will greatly help u win headers is where u are positioned underneath the ball. Generally speaking standing directly under the ball is the best spot to jump for a header so in theory i believe A smaller player can jostle for position in a way that forces a taller player to jump on a strange angle. That way when the taller guy goes for the ball he have to work much harder to get the ball at the highest point.

another tip when jostling for the ball in the air remember push pull technique. when they apply force u pull.

sounds a bit tricky but I hope it helps
Life's a grave, dig it

h

how do stronger abs giv u a better hangtime ???

Matt17

One thing I tend to do a lot is when I jump, bend my body at an angle so I am pushing the other player's shoulder down. That keeps them from jumping too well, and, if you add a few little tricks into there, gives you more height.