Going to Americaa

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
G-Unit-Freestyler

Next summer Im planning to hit the United States, with a friend of mine. I wonder... Is the level in the United States as low as people say it is? And where might I get the biggest chance to get spotted? Are there try-outs (u16) for any MLS teams in the summer and where might I find them?

Ty in advance

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

Yea man, I have lived here all my life, and I can tell you, it costs a lot of money to get on a decent team! $100 dollars a month to be on a 1st division team. And then even 1st divsion teams arent that good. MLS is only for adults, to get spotted you need to be an American citizen, so you can join ODP and work your way up from district to state teams to regional teams to National team. ODP is the best way to get spotted. IF you go to some university camps, a lot of times the coach is there, and he might spot you for his team. IF you need more help just post what u want to know

G-Unit-Freestyler

Hmm so you could just as well be a very bad player and still make a 1st division team if u pay 100$? Or is it a bribe?

Im not that clear about the MLS. Is it just the name that represents the premier league or is it something else? Do people younger then the age of 18 play? Is it an all-american league without any foreigners? And what exactly is ODP? Do MLS teams have any youth academies? And how long will it take for me to go from disctrict to state to regional, and is that for americans only?

Ill be in the states for around 3-8 weeks and will stay in Colorado, tho travelling to another state wont be a big problem.

And if it helps:-

Im 14, turning 15 in January, Im mainly a striker but can play as a winger on both sides and midfielder.

Thanks for the help
8)

expert
Site Admin

G-Unit-Freestyler wrote:Hmm so you could just as well be a very bad player and still make a 1st division team if u pay 100$?
Yes, and you also need to have stage parents willing to drive you around for hours every time you have practice.
G-Unit-Freestyler wrote:Do MLS teams have any youth academies? And how long will it take for me to go from disctrict to state to regional, and is that for americans only?
MLS clubs don't have youth teams like in Europe. Some of them have camps but these are not really associated with their pro team and are solely profit based.

College is the way to go in the US. You may also do some research on the PDL/PSL leagues.

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

district state and regional teams are all for citizens only. If u r a foreigner coming to the US then ur screwed, all of us americans are trying to get the hell out of here to play some real football, because there are no good teams here.

ageorge
Veteran Member

iwannagopro wrote:district state and regional teams are all for citizens only. If u r a foreigner coming to the US then ur screwed, all of us americans are trying to get the hell out of here to play some real football, because there are no good teams here.
Very true. If you want to play football the USA is one of the worst places you can go. It sucks if your stuck here

G-Unit-Freestyler

I thought perhaps the standard of America is a little low, which would make me able to go pro earlier then here. Ah well thanks for the help anyway

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

Yea the standard is lower, so it is easier to get noticed if you are good, but it is also super hard to play for a decent club, because it is just dam hard. I dunno why :oops:

ajc
The Philly Flyer

The process of becoming professional is just different here. It takes much longer. You really just have to play well for high school and club, be recruited to a good soccer college and excel, and then get drafted into MLS/USL or see if you can get trials with teams overseas.

Youth acadamies don't exist over here, so you can't just get in a pro club's system and stay in it until you become great, you have to go through many different steps on your own.