Playing with a tennis ball

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
EdotMiller7
New User

Anyone looking for better ball control, especially dealing with settling balls with your feet that are being played to you in the air, I would highly suggest juggling with a tennis ball. I know juggling with a standard size ball is a great way to improve ball control, but I think a tennis ball will quickly take that aspect of your game to a higher level. My first experience with it has been great. I'll explain in detail what I did and hopefully it will help someone. First let me start off by saying before I tried the tennis ball I was a pretty decent juggler by my own standards. Specifically, I could always just kick up a ball and do a 1000 comfortably(thats actually how I warm up for my training sessions). But I wasn't satisfied with just having a good numerical value for juggling, I wanted the quality of the touches to be higher, and I wanted to have absolute control over the ball. I want my control to be to the point where my touches were so precise that I could make the ball go the exact height I wanted it and for me to be able to change the spin to forward and backward and no spin whenever I wanted. COMPLETE CONTROL. I read somwhere on this site that Franz Beckenbauer juggled a tennis ball often and mastered control over that, and then when he played with a standard ball it seemed huge and it was much easier to control. After trying this myself, I agree with it completely. Juggling with a tennis ball will completely change your perspective of juggling with a real ball for the better. After playing with a tennis ball, your regulation ball will seem to be huge. It really is quite amazing. I started off by setting myself a goal of 50 juggles with the tennis ball. It was really frustrating at first. I for one, couldnt even get the tennis ball off the ground with my feet(and I still cant for the most part..only occasionally) so I started by picking it up with my hand dropping it on the concrete and letting it bounce once and start from there. It was hard going at first. My first touch would just bounce away. Then after a couple of times I could get two alternating feet . and then I got stuck on 6 for a while and then 8 for a while after about ten minutes. At about 20 minutes I was getting into the 20s consistently. and Then i got stuck at a little over 30 for a while. finally after about 30 minutes I hit the 50 mark. After reaching 50, I traded in the tennis ball for a size 1 miniball which is what I was using for juggling before I saw the tennis ball thing. I had stuggled with the miniball, I was never able to get much more than 100 without messing up, and even getting to a 100 was difficult because with smaller balls the degree of error is so small(you have to hit the ball in a very specific location, and the ball has to contact your foot at a very specific location). But after doing 50 with the tennis ball, even a miniball seemed huge. I got 1000 touches on the miniball only messing up 3 times only because I was laughing because I was so amused at how big the ball seemed. Then finally I exchanged my mini ball for my regular size 5 ball. The results were amazing. The ball seemed Massive. The only concern was that the ball seemed a bit heavy, but I quickly got used to it. I promise you, it was like I couldnt mess up. The ball was so big. I felt like I was juggling a baloon. I got to a 1000 plus juggles more confortably than ever before. I've only done this once, but I definetly plan on continuing it daily. I think it will quickly accelerate the quality of my ball control. I would suggest this to anyone who can juggle a decent sized football. If you can't i'd stay a way from the tennis ball until you can, because I think It will just be frustating and a negative experience if you cant juggle a regular football comfortably. definetly try juggling a tennis ball. ill post again or so after a week or two of doing this to see how i've progressed. hope this was helpful. happy footballing.

E dot
One Love

lets keep the game beautiful.

englishplayer

That sounds like a good idea, I should probably get really good at juggling with a bigger ball though before I try it. Thanks for the tips (and welcome to the forums).

elastico
New User

Good post. Please use paragraphs.
Football’s not a matter of life and death — it’s much more serious than that.

agg
New User

Hey thats a good idea.
Im pretty good at juggling with a normal ball so I really should try this.
From now on I will spent 15 min. of each day juggling with a tennis ball. :D

Morgoth

Informative post, but a bit difficult to read due to the lack of paragraph use ;P

EdotMiller7
New User

Glad that was helpful. Thanks for the welcome. sorry about the paragraphs. ill be sure to do that from now on.
One Love

Futbol
Sophomore Member

How many touches should you be able to do with a size 5 ball before trying to juggle a tennis ball? My record with a full sized ball is only 84.

EdotMiller7
New User

how many juggles before tennis ball? thats hard to say. its not so much about how many you can do...its how comfortable you are doing your juggles...if you can do 84 in complete control of the ball for the most part...than you could try it...but if when your in the process of getting 84 juggles... your'e running all over the place and stretching and diving to try to keep the ball up..then you arent ready for it. I would say you need to atleast be able to juggle comfortably and under control with a real size ball before trying a tennis ball. I can't seen anyone being successfull at controlling a tennis ball, if they arent yet comfortable with a real ball.

But the whole purpose of juggling a tennis ball is to get better with a regular ball, not the other way around. We arent training with a bigger ball, so we can get comfortable with a tennis ball. So maybe you can go ahead and try juggling the tennis ball( i dont think youll be very successful at it, but prove me wrong), but even if your not good at it, it will make the regular ball seem much easier when you try and juggle with it. So go ahead and try it. The only reason i discourage juggling a tennis ball if your not good with a regular ball is because it might be a frustrating and negative experience.But by all means, try it, and see if it works for you
One Love