Squats + Arm muscle = crazy acceleration?

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
Cristiano_Ronaldo

as the topic says .. but my coach says speed has a lot to do with genetics... I would agree with that since there's a skinny guy on my team with really skinny legs and he's crazy fast!! If I want to get really good acceleration.. squats+arm muscle and core is all I need right? but some people I know says it's not good to train squats when I'm only 15, they say it's going to slow me down when I get older.

J
Admin

Being flexible is very important for sprinting also. If you have poor flexability, it will affect you sprinting technique.

Cristiano_Ronaldo

can someone please give me an answer?

mb1471

That's like saying...doing this + this = i play soccer better than ronaldinho...stuff just doesn't work that way. I'm sure building leg strength will help you..arm strength helps for soccer but I doubt it helps much for running...you should also practice accelerating since that's what you want to improve, it would make sense no?

AusSkills

well considering your only fifteen, weight training is not really going to build any muscle until after puberty, if anything you will only gain strength and endurance in your muscles.

also since your still young you wont be able to run your faster until after puberty also. if you do alot of exercise, running, marathons, cross country or whatever when your about your age you will may end up pretty fast after your body has developed fully and your endurance should be great.

dont really worry about muscles till your at least 17.
also that thing about doin waits at your age can make you slower when your older is just a myth. dont believe it

anyway thats just my analogy :P
"Understand that the ball is a sphere and that we are not designed by nature to control it with our feet. Our nature is to control it with the hand. But he who can take complete command of it with his feet will always have an edge, and win in this game"

touchshoot

ive recently had a stress fracture in my lower back and for me to get back to my full fitness i needed to do millions of squats and arm and core strengthening as u might of seen it helped me heaps andas u might of also seen in my other post i clocked 4.19 in the 40m so its good i reccomend them.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

touchshoot wrote:i clocked 4.19 in the 40m
What? You must be joking. Are you 14 like your profile says? 4.19 is faster than ALL proffessional american football players, and these are guys that don't learn skills they just run and run and run and lift weights all day long, how could you be that fast? My friend made all-american for sprinting track at high school and he could only run a 4.5! By 40m you do mean meters, right? not milimeters? And you are counting in seconds?

B Heck

Ben Johnson's infamous Olympic sprint is estimated to have covered the first 40 yards in 4.38 seconds.

40 yard dash mythology: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id ... type=story

mb1471

busted! :oops:

ajc
The Philly Flyer

That was an interesting article

deano7

Wayne Rooney runs 40m in 5 secs.
Never Criticise your own ability.

Da Devil
Sophomore Member

deano7 wrote:Wayne Rooney runs 40m in 5 secs.

Yeah but there's only ONE rooney

Jorgy44
New User

Cristiano_Ronaldo wrote:can someone please give me an answer?
If you want to increase your speed you need to increase your power. Squatting is the best way to do that, but you need to do it the right way.

You want to do your squats as explosively as possible. Because to get a quick response from your muscles you need to train the fast-twitch muscle fibers.

Lower yourself as you normally would but when you come up almost try to explode off the ground. Don't come too far off the ground because you won't be used to supporting so much extra weight and that could lead to injury.

You may want to throw some lunges, hip adductors and abductors and calf raises into your workout as well. Again, explosively.

Always remember HAVE A SPOTTER, I cannot stress that enough.

Inhale on the way down, exhale as you explode back up to starting position on the squats. Breathing properly is KEY. If you don't exhale as your exerting all your force, especially in the squats, you can really damage yourself.

Some people are blessed with the gift of speed, but that doesn't mean that you can't work to improve yours.

If anyone tells you that squatting will slow you down in the future, they are wrong. If you are familiar with North American Football at all, any running back can squat at least two times their weight and the majority of them run 40 yard dashes in under 4.5 seconds.

Weight training is a good thing.

Hope that helps.

Star

^^ Thats A Good Post

But What I Cant Believe Is, NoBody Has Mentioned The Fact That You Need To Run If You Wish To Get Better At Running.

If You Want To Get Faster Than Increasing Speed And Power By Weight Training Is Going To Be A Positive Thing In Aiding Your Sprint Times.

But, Most Importantly, Learn The Correct Sprinting Mechanics And Practise Running.

And As For The Guy Who Thinks He Can Run The 40m Dash That Quick...

Prove It With A Video Then Dude.
:lol:

Thanks

ageorge
Veteran Member

ajc wrote:
What? You must be joking. Are you 14 like your profile says? 4.19 is faster than ALL proffessional american football players, and these are guys that don't learn skills they just run and run and run and lift weights all day long, how could you be that fast? My friend made all-american for sprinting track at high school and he could only run a 4.5! By 40m you do mean meters, right? not milimeters? And you are counting in seconds?
40 METERS is different from 40 YARD!!!!!