UPSET TEAMS

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
JDTRIXTA

What teams in this years world cup will cause upsets at any stage of the tournament? :wink:

ratherton
Veteran Member

Not sure how much of a surprise it would be but I can see the US getting out of their group.

Italy have a lot distractions with the match fixing scandal going on. Apparently, Buffon is spending as much time talking to the police as he is training with the squad - not ideal preparations. It wouldn't be a major shock if they got knocked out in the group stages

hustler89
Veteran Member

ratherton wrote:It wouldn't be a major shock if they got knocked out in the group stages
I don't think that this will have much of an effect.
They have too much quality in their players to let it affect them.

I think they will use Euro 2004, their harsh knockout at the group stages as a platform for success and they certainly would not want that to happen again.

Buffon is the best, if not one of the bestkeepers in the world. I think he will be 100% focused and will not let the match fixing enter his mind on such an important occasion.
If he does badly, Italy have excellent attacking players to hit back at their opposition.

ratherton
Veteran Member

hustler89 wrote:
ratherton wrote:It wouldn't be a major shock if they got knocked out in the group stages
I don't think that this will have much of an effect.
They have too much quality in their players to let it affect them.

I think they will use Euro 2004, their harsh knockout at the group stages as a platform for success and they certainly would not want that to happen again.

Buffon is the best, if not one of the bestkeepers in the world. I think he will be 100% focused and will not let the match fixing enter his mind on such an important occasion.
If he does badly, Italy have excellent attacking players to hit back at their opposition.
Have to disagree about the match fixing not entering his mind. This is potentially the biggest scandal football has seen - apart from FIFA obviously. There are serious allegations that are threatening to ruin 4 of the biggest clubs in Europe. With all the best will in the world, anyone caught up in this will not be able to just put it out of their mind.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

I think it will be Italy and USA from their group. Apparently the Cech's have some injury problems they are going through right now. I don't know the details, but i've hurt it could affect their chances to advance.

I watched the U.S. play Latvia yesterday and Venezuela on Friday, and they dominated those teams. I know, its nothing like playing the teams they will face in Germany, but they played very well as a team and made few mistakes. The only problems they had was their finishing and the last play before a shot. But i think this will come in the world cup. Donovan, Reyna, Beasley and Mcbride are all quality players that have had success overseas (donovan could have if he chose to.) Eddie Johnson is a very, very fast striker who is always a threat to score from a long through ball. With those players I feel like their attack is good enough to challenge any defense they will see.

Another upset team I like is Ukraine. I just have a feeling they will do something this year. They would probably play south korea in the round of 16, and i think they could beat them. But it's hard to predict upsets, so i guess we'll just have to wait and see. :D

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Oh, i meant ukraine would probably play France, possibly South Korea, but France has not been good lately, so they could still go through.

pomyboi
New User

:D i really like this subject JDTRIXTA :wink: i think that U.S.A will get through the group stages and then i dont no who but an underdog team will knock them out.

hustler89
Veteran Member

pomyboi wrote::D i really like this subject JDTRIXTA :wink: i think that U.S.A will get through the group stages and then i dont no who but an underdog team will knock them out.
Dude, wiseman exposed you. :lol:
If you have not seen it, here it is. viewtopic.php?t=4865

If you are not a part of this, please accept my humble and sincere apologies.
:P

ajc
The Philly Flyer

hustler89 wrote:
pomyboi wrote::D i really like this subject JDTRIXTA :wink: i think that U.S.A will get through the group stages and then i dont no who but an underdog team will knock them out.
Dude, wiseman exposed you. :lol:
If you have not seen it, here it is. viewtopic.php?t=4865

If you are not a part of this, please accept my humble and sincere apologies.
:P
haha, that just shows you can't fool the people on this site.

But as to what you said, that the U.S.A. would be knocked out by an underdog, that is very unlikely. If we (USA) finish second in group E then we'll play brazil in the round of 16. If we're on the short end of the score it would not exactly be an upset, lol.

The only other possible scenarios that satisfy your prediction are that the USA finishes first in the group by some miracle, which would put them against Croatia in the next round. If they were eliminated by Croatia that would still not be an upset, at least I don't think it would be. Croatia finished 3rd place in 2002, and although they are a weaker team this time around, they certainly are good enough to beat the USA.

The USA could also play Croatia in the first knockout stage if Brazil has the meltdown of the century and finishes second in their group and USA finish second as well. But I'd bet all of Abromavich's millions that it isn't going to happen. :wink:

ratherton
Veteran Member

ajc wrote:Croatia finished 3rd place in 2002, and although they are a weaker team this time around, they certainly are good enough to beat the USA.
Turkey finished 3rd in 2002, Croatia finished 3rd in 1998

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Sorry :oops:

milanese
Veteran Member

ratherton wrote:Italy have a lot distractions with the match fixing scandal going on. Apparently, Buffon is spending as much time talking to the police as he is training with the squad - not ideal preparations. It wouldn't be a major shock if they got knocked out in the group stages
In 1982 Rossi had been banned for 3 years for a match fixing scandel, came back and was a hero as Italy won the cup.

These scandels might just help out in the end.

I think Costa Rica could pull off the upset to advance in Group A. Ghana (not the US) could surprise the Czechs and advance out of one of the groups of death.

Ukraine winning their group is another possibility.

If Buffon is gone, Italy have other world-class keepers behind him. A position where there's alot of depth.