Making the Difference

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
sir_alex_vu

Making the Difference

Post by sir_alex_vu »

So, I have six days a week to train. Sunday - Friday (Match on Saturdays).

Here's a general outline of my routine. It starts on Sunday, the day after my match, so that I can get a mindset that the match is the ultimate goal of the week, and that I start the cycle all over again the next day. My routine is based around two things: Endurance/Fitness and Strength/Weightlifting.

The exercises I'm using were compiled from training routines on various sites.

Sunday Endurance/Fitness
20 Minutes - Strength Circuit
30 Minutes - Fartlek Running
10 Minutes - Stretching

Monday Strength/Weightlifting
Muscle Group: Legs: Quads, Hamstrings, Glutes, Calves
Speed Sqaut - 3 x 12
Dumbbell Side Lunges - 3 x 12
Leg Extension - 3 x 12
Leg Curl - 3 x 12
Stiff Leg Dead Lift - 3 x 12
Calf Raises - 3 x 12

Tuesday Endurance/Fitness
30 Minutes - Speed Running
10 Minutes - Stretching

Wednesday Strength/Weightlifting
Muscle Group: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Bench Press - 3 x 10
Dumbbell Incline Press - 3 x 10
Dumbbell Shoulder Press - 3 x 10
Push Press - 3 x 10
Standing Dumbbell Triceps Extension - 3 x 10
Skull Crusher - 3 x 10

Thursday Endurance/Fitness
10 Minutes - Stretching

Friday Strength/Weightlifting
Muscle Group: Backs, Biceps, Forearms
Dead Lift - 3 x 10
Barbell Row - 3 x 10
Dumbbell Shrugs - 3 x 10
Lateral Pull Down - 3 x 10
Dumbbell Bicep Curl - 3 x 10
Reverse Curl - 3 x 10

Saturday

MATCH DAY! :D

For the Endurance/Fitness days, here are the:
Strength Circuit
Reps: 30 seconds per station
Rest between stations: 30 seconds
Number of circuits: 2
Rest between circuits: 2 minutes
-Push Ups-
-Squat Thrusts-
-Lateral Raises-
-Squats-
-Crunches-
-Jumping Jacks-
-Dips-
-Burpees-

Fartlek Running
Well, if you know what Fartlek running is, you pretty much know about this one. It's just about being random in my running. EXAMPLE: Sprint for 20 yards, Jog for 100 yards, Run backwards for 20 yards, etc.

Speed Running
Jog, Cruise, Jog, Sprint, Jog, Walk: In that order. Repeat.

Each run should only be about 20 yards in length. Continuous running for 30 minutes. CRUISE = 75% of top speed.

Here are the websites where I found the information from:

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/so ... oning.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... tml?cat=14

So, that's pretty much it.

By the way, I'm sixteen years old.

My goal is to make the High school Varsity team. Tryouts begin in about 3 months.

And about the ball work, I plan to incorporate about two hours of ball work after each session. Each of these sessions above run for approximately one hour so in total I will be training for three hours a day.

If you guys have any good ball work drills that help with my ball control, dribbling, passing, shooting, trapping, anything.

Comment, criticize please.
nick117
Veteran Member

Re: Making the Difference

Post by nick117 »

sir_alex_vu wrote:So, I have six days a week to train. Sunday - Friday (Match on Saturdays).

Here's a general outline of my routine. It starts on Sunday, the day after my match, so that I can get a mindset that the match is the ultimate goal of the week, and that I start the cycle all over again the next day. My routine is based around two things: Endurance/Fitness and Strength/Weightlifting.

The exercises I'm using were compiled from training routines on various sites.

Sunday Endurance/Fitness
10 Minutes - Stretching

Monday Strength/Weightlifting
Muscle Group: Legs: Quads, Hamstrings, Glutes, Calves
Speed Sqaut - 3 x 12
Dumbbell Side Lunges - 3 x 12
Leg Extension - 3 x 12
Leg Curl - 3 x 12
Stiff Leg Dead Lift - 3 x 12
Calf Raises - 3 x 12

Tuesday Endurance/Fitness
30 Minutes - Speed Running
10 Minutes - Stretching

Wednesday Strength/Weightlifting
Muscle Group: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Bench Press - 3 x 10
Dumbbell Incline Press - 3 x 10
Dumbbell Shoulder Press - 3 x 10
Push Press - 3 x 10
Standing Dumbbell Triceps Extension - 3 x 10
Skull Crusher - 3 x 10

Thursday Endurance/Fitness
10 Minutes - Stretching

Friday Strength/Weightlifting
Muscle Group: Backs, Biceps, Forearms
Dead Lift - 3 x 10
Barbell Row - 3 x 10
Dumbbell Shrugs - 3 x 10
Lateral Pull Down - 3 x 10
Dumbbell Bicep Curl - 3 x 10
Reverse Curl - 3 x 10

Saturday

MATCH DAY! :D

For the Endurance/Fitness days, here are the:
Strength Circuit
Reps: 30 seconds per station
Rest between stations: 30 seconds
Number of circuits: 2
Rest between circuits: 2 minutes
-Push Ups-
-Squat Thrusts-
-Lateral Raises-
-Squats-
-Crunches-
-Jumping Jacks-
-Dips-
-Burpees-

Fartlek Running
Well, if you know what Fartlek running is, you pretty much know about this one. It's just about being random in my running. EXAMPLE: Sprint for 20 yards, Jog for 100 yards, Run backwards for 20 yards, etc.

Speed Running
Jog, Cruise, Jog, Sprint, Jog, Walk: In that order. Repeat.

Each run should only be about 20 yards in length. Continuous running for 30 minutes. CRUISE = 75% of top speed.

Here are the websites where I found the information from:

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/so ... oning.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... tml?cat=14

So, that's pretty much it.

By the way, I'm sixteen years old.

My goal is to make the High school Varsity team. Tryouts begin in about 3 months.

And about the ball work, I plan to incorporate about two hours of ball work after each session. Each of these sessions above run for approximately one hour so in total I will be training for three hours a day.

If you guys have any good ball work drills that help with my ball control, dribbling, passing, shooting, trapping, anything.

Comment, criticize please.
this may or may not be good advice but atleast 1 day of the week i think you should put ballwork first insted of training or even split the time up so 1 hour ball work (training without ball) ball work so you know how you work with the ball when your fresh and when your tired. the rest looks really good especially if you can recover in 1 days time.
pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Post by pickyourheadup »

Good advice nick117. He is right, you need to add 1 day of ball work/rest..mabey on Wednesday or Friday. You muscles can only take so much day to day stress.
sir_alex_vu

Post by sir_alex_vu »

How would I split the week out?

I have team training for two hours on Tuesday and Thursday. (If some of you guys have read my last post "Passing Game", then you can probably guess that my team training isn't strenuous at all)

The weight room I'm using is only available for me Monday - Friday.

I'd like to keep everything balanced. Three days for running. Three days for weightlifting.

If I take out a day, then I might end up looking like Arnold Schwarzneggar but I wouldn't even last a minute running on the field. Or, I could end up being a twig with iron lungs. (Okay, I might not get these kinda results, but you see what I mean).

My weightlifting routine is based around a three-day schedule, so that would be hard to manipulate. But, I honestly think my endurance and fitness is more important. Yet, I don't want to sacrifice my strength or endurance because both are very important for me right now.
pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Post by pickyourheadup »

Come to think of it sir_alex, you are right in that it would be hard to put a "break" day in there. You're routine look strenuous, but great. When will you be working with the ball?

Considering your tough training regimine, your high school team must be the best in the nation?
Last edited by pickyourheadup on 15 Sep 2009, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)
sir_alex_vu

Post by sir_alex_vu »

Come to think of it sir_alex, you are right in that it would be hard to put a "break" day in there. You're routine look strenuous, but great. When will you be working with the ball?
Yeah, I think's it possible.

I will have two hours of ball work after each of these physical training sessions. So in total, I will be training for three hours a day. I don't think that's much for my age, considering I am at the age where I should be developing the most. Right?

If you have any drills that could help me. With any aspect (Ball control, dribbling, shooting, passing, trapping)

Considering your touch training regimine, your high school team must be the best in the nation?
"Touch training regime"? I don't understand what that is.

Did you mean "Tough training regime"? I don't know.

Are we the best high school team in the nation?

Uh, actually quite far from it. haha. We're not even the best in our league of eight teams, but we did come in second last season.

Last season, I was on the bench for most of the JV season, and many of my friends and other people said I would have no chance for varsity. So, I really just want to prove everyone wrong, and also get the experience of playing on a varsity team.
Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

Post by Kakasgotskillz »

Just a quick question: If you wanna strengthen, why are you doing everything in 3 by 10 or 12 reps? Strengthening involves a relatively high weight (80-85% of your max) at a relatively low number of reps and high volume (so 6-8 reps, 3-4 sets).

Also, bicep training is very unnecessary (it's been proven that biceps are the most useless muscles in the body, other than to support the triceps and look good), soooo maybe cut back on that and opt for a bit more stability with back and chest (biceps are secondary muscles when you do back exercises sooo they will eventually tone themselves, same with shoulders).

Just a suggestion, keep it up tho the routine is great otherwise :)
sir_alex_vu

Post by sir_alex_vu »

Kakasgotskillz:

Thanks for the awesome advice.

I'll adjust all of the sets and repititions.

I'm looking at beginning this routine on Sunday. So I should have everything tweaked out by then. I'm desperately looking to improve.

My technical ablility is okay, but I think when I'm fitter, faster, and stronger, I'll be even better.

That said, do any of you guys have any drills for me?
pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Post by pickyourheadup »

sir_alex_vu wrote:Kakasgotskillz:

Thanks for the awesome advice.

I'll adjust all of the sets and repititions.

I'm looking at beginning this routine on Sunday. So I should have everything tweaked out by then. I'm desperately looking to improve.

My technical ablility is okay, but I think when I'm fitter, faster, and stronger, I'll be even better.

That said, do any of you guys have any drills for me?
Technique is not only about physically using proper form, but mentally knowing what to do and being able to picture the correct positioning of your body. Here are some pages I found quickly:
http://www.expertfootball.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=15711
viewtopic.php?t=15604
http://www.expertfootball.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=10108
http://www.expertfootball.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=15839
http://www.expertfootball.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=15725

You can find a lot of technical ball drills throughout the forum. Try looking in the featured guide section or the dribbling and ball control section. Don't forget the Training section at the top of the page either.

Are you going to include stair drills in your routine?
MUFC1994
Veteran Member

Post by MUFC1994 »

Kakasgotskillz wrote:Just a quick question: If you wanna strengthen, why are you doing everything in 3 by 10 or 12 reps? Strengthening involves a relatively high weight (80-85% of your max) at a relatively low number of reps and high volume (so 6-8 reps, 3-4 sets).

Also, bicep training is very unnecessary (it's been proven that biceps are the most useless muscles in the body, other than to support the triceps and look good), soooo maybe cut back on that and opt for a bit more stability with back and chest (biceps are secondary muscles when you do back exercises sooo they will eventually tone themselves, same with shoulders).

Just a suggestion, keep it up tho the routine is great otherwise :)
I agree, I think you should take out biceps and forearms training....pretty useless.

Building up your forearms and biceps will actually slow you down because they are not used for sprinting and will just add extra mass
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."
sir_alex_vu

Post by sir_alex_vu »

Thanks PYHU, and MUFC1994!

I'll probably just take out the bicep and forearm exercises and instead just repeat some of the chest/back/shoulder exercises instead.

Stair drills?

I do have access to my school stadium complete with stairs. So yes, I would be able to do stair drills. Do you have any good ones that I can include in my routine? If you do, that's great, thanks!
pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Post by pickyourheadup »

Yeah these are the ones I do:

1. High Knees- bring your knees up to waist height for each step

2. Wide stance hop-stay on your toes. Take a 1/2 sec pause on each step
3. Feet together hop-same timing as wide stance

4. Side ways high knees (facing left)
5. Side ways high knees (facing right)

6. Diagonal Feet together hop from one side of the stair to the opposite side of the next (A diagonal movement).

-I've always only had about 30-40 stairs available in a straight line. When I get to the top I jog to the next flight down and go down using a wide legged stance so I dont trip.
-When I get to the bottom I sprint-pause-sprint in a span to the beginning set of stairs.
Sprint-pause-sprint is my small version of fartleks. Instead of sprinting 20 yards and jogging a short distance then sprinting again, I shrink it down to a total span of about 10-15 yards. I sprint for 7 yards-pause for 1/2 second-and sprint to the beginning set of stairs.

-I try to do about 7-10 sets on a good day. On average it will be about 4-5 sets, however.

**Each exercise is going to the top of the stairs, one step at a time.

Last edited by pickyourheadup on 25 Oct 2009, 16:03, edited 2 times in total.
sir_alex_vu

Post by sir_alex_vu »

Pickyourheadup:

Thanks for the great drills that I will surely add to my routine.

So instead of alternating between just fartleks and speed running, I can now add stair running so that I get variety throughout the week.

Thanks for taking the time to give me those great drills!