Individual practice

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
mufc21
Veteran Member

Individual practice

Post by mufc21 » 18 Aug 2009, 11:52

Ok heres my situation. Im trying out for Wimbledon AFC right now but when Im not training with them im training individually. Right now I have no goal by me or wall. Just a big open field and a low wall to pass against. Im trying to follow the pros like farnworth and wilkinson who would spend hourse honing their technique so im trying to do 40 hours a week.

My question is what should I practice... freestyle, dribbling...
Theres not too much to do and no one really to play with either.
Thanks in advance guys!

mufc21
Veteran Member

Post by mufc21 » 18 Aug 2009, 12:09

is sitdown juggling with a tennis ball great for touch as i can do that while resting. Thanks again

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Post by pickyourheadup » 18 Aug 2009, 14:42

mufc21 wrote:Ok heres my situation. Im trying out for Wimbledon AFC right now but when Im not training with them im training individually. Right now I have no goal by me or wall. Just a big open field and a low wall to pass against. Im trying to follow the pros like farnworth and wilkinson who would spend hourse honing their technique so im trying to do 40 hours a week.

My question is what should I practice... freestyle, dribbling...
Theres not too much to do and no one really to play with either.
Thanks in advance guys!
First off, take a look at the Feature Guides section to super detailed info on exactly what technique you are looking for.

Drills for General Ball Technique

*All of these drills should be done one the balls of your feet. In other words, stay on your toes! This will help you practice not being caught "flatfooted" or unready in games.
*You should gradually increase the number of quality repititions from 25 to 50. The quality of your touches is key. 25 quality touches is better than 1000 lazy touches with poor technique. Once you are able to consistently perform 25 quality touches on each drill, do 50 the next time you train. If you notice you performance is become worse between 25 and 50, slow the drill down and focus on your technique.
*25-50 reps is called a set. Do 1 set for each drill, then move on to Wall Drills
*Possibly the most important element of technique is understanding how. By starting the drills slowly, analyzing each movement of your foot and how it moves the ball, you will gain a better understanding and feel of the technique. Once these movements are memorized not only by the brain, but by your muscles, you will be able to do them without thinking. Being a technical player myself, I consider technicals players to have:
1. An in-depth knowledge of how to manipulate the ball. This includes controlling, dribbling, possesion, and passing.
2. Strong field vision. In other words, know where your teammates are and being able to find them on the field.
3. Knowing where to be on the field. Proper positioning is key so that you can be there for your teammates and be able to set them or yourself up.

1. Ball steps as fast as you can in a set amount of time (1-2 min)
Ball steps in place..moving forward..moving back..moving left..moving right. The front bottom part of your foot should be touching the top of the ball.

As a branch from ball steps:
Using the bottom of your foot, do a quick touch, tapping the ball across your body. At the same time you have landing on the foot you just used and doing the first step with the opposite foot. This should kind seem like a hopping motion. You can do this quickly with your eyes closed.
Game use: Tight spaces

2. Tick-Tocks (knocking the ball between your feet)
Game use: Tight spaces, dribbling around opponents.

3. Skating (push outside,tap back in with same foot..getting the ball across your body to other foot, push outside with othe foot, tap back in..etc) Your body should lean slightly to the side you are pushing the ball and your legs should also be slightly bent so that you are lower to the ground. An easy way to lean to one side is to dip your shoulder to the side you are pushing.
Game use: Tight-open spaces. Moving laterally to create passing lanes.

4. Squirts(sole of foot to inside..ball moves across body..sole of other foot to inside..ball moves across body)
Game use:Tight spaces.

5. Triangles (Start with the ball one the inside of your foot. Move it diagonally across your body until it is straight in front of you. Drag it back with the sole of your foot to your opposite foot. Push the ball to the left using the same foot. Repeat.
Game use:Tight spaces. This move practices skates, pull backs, and dragging the ball behind you using your laces.
Here is a picture:Image
Here is a video showing tick-tocks, squirts, a combination of the previous two, skating, and triangles.

A wall drill:
-Find 2 walls about 10+ feet apart.
Pass the ball against one, trapping it with your passing foot.
At the same time you are turning and setting up the ball so you can pass with your non trapping foot.
Pass the ball against the other wall..repeat the above steps.

-->Important: keep good passing technique! Good technique is:
1. Balanced on you planting foot.
2. Passing foot--toe up, heel down
3. Planting foot should be about one of your feet's length from the ball.
4. Planting foot and your hips should be pointing where you want the ball to go.
5. Strike the Middle-Center of the ball.

Once you get better: pass the ball faster/harder or start trapping it with your planting foot instead of your passing foot.

Game use: Passing, receiving, returning the ball to the teammate (wall pass). Also for quick turning and shooting.

Volley Technique:

1. Begin juggling, keeping the ball around your knee level or higher.
2. Volley the ball straight up. Locking your ankle and forming a "L" with your legs. Strike it in the Lower third center of the ball.
If you don't understand where I'm talking about, see my Ball Anatomy Guide
3. You can easily tell if you used correct technique. If you did, the ball should have no or very little spin.
4. Control the ball on the way down, but giving it a little cushion with your ball. Repeat this technique with your other foot.
5. Once you are able to do this correctly, consistently, move on to
Expert's Wall Volleys and Drills

"1. Align yourself with the ball
This is one of the biggest errors that younger players commit. Before swinging at the ball, you need to shuffle your feet quickly so that you are well positioned. The ball must be at appropriate height and distance away from you. When executing a side volley, it should be aside of you, just about waist high.

2. Timing yourself
Timing is the most crucial element when you are taking a volley. Instead of worrying where to hit the ball, anticipate the ideal moment of swinging.

3. Swinging at the ball
Before you swing, your upper body and hips should be facing the direction from where the ball in coming. Plant your supporting foot aimed at the target. As the ball arrives, you must swing your kicking foot while naturally turning in direction of the target.
Good contact is more important than swinging hard. If you volley the ball properly, it will have enough power anyway. Your kicking foot should follow a smooth rainbow-like trajectory."---Expert

1. Same planting foot postitioning as passing technique.
2. Lean a little away from the ball with your planting leg slightly bent.
3. Lock your ankle down. It helps to curl/grip your toes downward.
4. Follow straight through, strike the ball in the Middle-Center, the Lowerthird-Center, or either the Left/Right third-Middle. Land on your shooting foot.

Crossing:

Shooting:
to postion himself effectively. Zidane doesn't consider himself to be a great header, but has scored many goals using his head because of how he position himself. He used his technique to effectively control the ball and either bring a teammate into the play or dribble himself. He once said that (not an exact quote) "If you mess up your first touch, it's over". Effective players use the first touch extremely well and constently.
mufc21 wrote: is sitdown juggling with a tennis ball great for touch as i can do that while restin. Thanks again.
Any touches you do with a ball would be great. If you can do touches while you are resting, eating dinner or taking a shower, then do them :D .
Remember, don't dribble and drive. It's illegal.
Last edited by pickyourheadup on 16 Jan 2010, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.

mufc21
Veteran Member

Post by mufc21 » 18 Aug 2009, 21:37

thanks a lot man. Although most of that is too basic! but the wall I have is very useful and its on a bumpy pitch like I had in Spain. The kind of ground maradona's touch was made on!

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Post by pickyourheadup » 18 Aug 2009, 23:47

mufc21 wrote:thanks a lot man. Although most of that is too basic! but the wall I have is very useful and its on a bumpy pitch like I had in Spain. The kind of ground maradona's touch was made on!
Yeah, I didn't know exactly what your skill level was, so I tried to include everthing. Starting with the basics.