Abdominal myths and truths

Physical conditioning, injuries, nutrition and everything related to fitness
scottS4
Veteran Member

Abdominal myths and truths

Post by scottS4 » 07 Aug 2009, 18:33

Having strong abdominals is important for soccer and improper strengthening of the abs can lead to back or neck pain later in life. Here are some myths and truths on the abdominals.

Myth: "spot reducing is possible. i can do stomach exercises to burn that fat off."

Truth: spot reducing is when you do certain exercises to lower fat stores in a specific part of the body. (eg doing bicep curls to harden saggy arms,) this does not work. the only way to get rid of these is through losing weight all around. this can be done by eating less calories than you burn. your body is forced to start using the fat stores as energy, and as a result, your body fat percentage will decrease. source:straighthealth.com

Myth: "i can strengthen my abs everyday."

Truth: the abs are a striated skeletal musle, just like your biceps or triceps.
when you work your these types of muscles hard, you require at least 24-72 hours to repair the microtrauma that occurs in the muscles. the only way you could work on your abs everyday is if you were to do less work than you are capable of doing. (maintenance) this does not make your abs stronger, but it does maintain them. a good analogy is a marathon runner running 5 miles a day, something he could easily do instead of 26 a day which would hurt him. source: phenominal abdominals

Myth: "flutter kicks and leg extensions strenghthen my lower abs."

Truth: not true. when doing these exercises, your lower abs work to stabilize the pelvis, keeping your back on the floor giving you a firm anchor to operate from. this imbalance can lead to bad posture in the back and could damage it or the neck. theres more to this than what i wrote but its confusing. source: phenominal abdominals

Myth: "i can do many situps a day and achieve a six pack"

Truth: during a situp, the iliosoas muscle is doing most of the work. this muscle is located on the lower back, and "pulls" on your back with every repetition. too many sit-ups can lead to a strength imbalance between the iliopsoas and abdominals. this can lead to bad posture and damage. source:atozfitness.com

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Post by Nat_H » 07 Aug 2009, 21:31

Thanks for that man. I honestly believed all of those...or just needed a reminder :)

foodsample

Post by foodsample » 30 Jan 2010, 16:02

Yea, I started doing situps everyday after practice, and ended up getting and imbalance with my back muscles I think. I ended up out for a week, and then started doing back strengthening excersizes along with my situps, and have not had problems yet.
"Y lo uvieras pegado al uno o dos que te salian?"
"O la hubiese tirado a la mierda, como lo hago siempre"

Mascherano ftw!

"Focus on the effort, not the results.. then results will come"

Live by it

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 30 Jan 2010, 16:30

foodsample wrote:Yea, I started doing situps everyday after practice, and ended up getting and imbalance with my back muscles I think. I ended up out for a week, and then started doing back strengthening excersizes along with my situps, and have not had problems yet.
If your going to work your abs you need to do back strengthening exercises as well.

I think instead of putting truth, put false and then explain why.

foodsample

Post by foodsample » 31 Jan 2010, 18:10

That last one didn't really answer the myth. It does addresses the injury you will get if you don't take care of strengthening your back too

Mascherano ftw!

Live by it

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 31 Jan 2010, 18:46

foodsample wrote:That last one didn't really answer the myth. It does addresses the injury you will get if you don't take care of strengthening your back too
sorry then, i'll answer it now. doing hundreds and hundreds of sit ups can damage your back later in life, especially if you do them all at once. so dont do 500 situps a day, just do 6 sets of 25 or so, and each set make it vary so you're doing different kinds of situps to target a different part of your abs. and finish with some super mans to make sure you're keeping that abs/back balance.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 31 Jan 2010, 19:15

Spot reducing? are you talking about achne spots or something else?

Because if your talking about achne, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the ammount of fat/calories you eat/burn off. Its purely down to how much horomes you have running around in your body making your skin more oily and then more prone to blockage.

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Post by pickyourheadup » 31 Jan 2010, 20:36

klc123 wrote:Spot reducing? are you talking about achne spots or something else?

Because if your talking about achne, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the ammount of fat/calories you eat/burn off. Its purely down to how much horomes you have running around in your body making your skin more oily and then more prone to blockage.
Spot reducing is the thinking that if you just train your stomach, the fat will go away from that area. Of course you need to train everything and have a good diet to get rid of fat.

Also, acne comes down to your diet and skin care, although hormone level can contribute a little.
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 31 Jan 2010, 23:06

Oh sorry. I understand what you mean.

In terms of achne...im correct pickyourheadup, im sorry.

Ive been spoken to a dermatologist who told me that diet has nothing to do with spots. Its 100% hormones and how oily your skin is. I know because i have a perfect balanced diet and exercise alot and i still had bad achne, my doctor gave me vitamin A tablets which basically inhibit oil production in your skin and ultimately stops them. Looks like we cleared another myth.

acmilan94

Post by acmilan94 » 31 Jan 2010, 23:24

Nice guide scott54, I didn't know about the last one.
Really, klc? Cuz when I went skiiing and ate 2 large chili fries everyday, I got 5 big pimples in 3 days. Maybe it was just a coincidence. Googled it, found this:
http://www.acne.org/diet-and-acne.html
Can't really see what the answer is though, kinda looks like they're saying yes to both.
--
"There's someone out there practicing right now, and if you face him, he will win."

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Post by pickyourheadup » 01 Feb 2010, 01:42

There isn't concrete evidence that certain foods cause acne, you're right. However, certain foods do cause increases in hormone levels and insulin levels. Both of which can lead to breakouts.

Here are several sources you may want to look at:
http://www.acne-resource.org/understand ... trole.html
http://www.acne.org/diet-and-acne.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhN3Duw-lKU
http://www.skincarephysicians.com/acnen ... _diet.html

Either way, this is off topic. Lets keep it to
"Abdominal myths and truths".
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 01 Feb 2010, 17:05

I would personally trust a trained dermatologist working in a hospital that treats severe achne every day more than the internet which is something anyone in the world can put information on.

Ive got a myth busted for you here, Sit ups are not actually good for you. They only train half of your abs and they put strain and pressure on your lower back which can cause problems. Do crunches and jack knifes instead, you will work your abs better and you won't get injured if done properly.

foodsample

Post by foodsample » 02 Feb 2010, 03:15

I worked with a personal trainer for hockey a while ago, and it was telling me how the spine is not designed to do the motion for situps (crunching inward). It is designed to twist left and right. As sure, he set up an excersize for my abs, where he stood up a benching bar on one point, while holding it towards the top of the other side (like your going to churn butter with it). Then put weight on the top part, and made sure that it was secured on the floor from sliding. Then using the arms, you move the weight side to side, while keeping your chest straight (your not twisting your stomache, you traing to keep your core from moving as the weight shifts).
I guess a similar exercise would be using the medicine ball going left to right in a fetal position (duno the name).

AND btw. I would say that both Hormone levels and diet contribute to ache. It's only common sense, as experience shows that certain habits tend to cause more ache. HOWEVER it may be right that, behaviors end up triggering hormones which then cause ache.

Mascherano ftw!

Live by it

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 02 Feb 2010, 17:07

The only time you get spots from diet is when you have alot of sugar/carbohydrate in your system so that your body becomes reliant on your sugar rushes and you then stop eating sugar you will get an outbreak of spots. Its just a way your body reacts to not having it, like an addictive side affect from not having it.

There is a study suggesting that having alot of alcohol can cause spots because it dehydrates the body drastically, but in terms of diet i was assuming that you all have pleanty of water and do not drink alot of beer.

Icy
Veteran Member

Post by Icy » 02 Feb 2010, 17:22

Klc I remember, atleast for acne on the face, that putting a clean towel over your pillow every night helps drastically. Now, I honestly have no experience with it, but I read about quite a few people who benefitted from it being very pleased compared to other usually recommended methods.

Also on a side note, what you eat can have affects on hormones so, yes, diet would play a role in it even if it is a result of hormones. Granted, I'm not a dermatologist, but if you want to say it's hormones than the foods you eat definitely have affects on your hormone levels.
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"