Playing With Pain

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
John_Bob
Veteran Member

Playing With Pain

Post by John_Bob »

Does anyone have any mental strategies for playing with pain?
arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 »

Well the best thing would be to probably ignore it. But sometimes it can come back to haunt you. If whatever pain you are having is really bothering you then you it may be a risk to play. For example if you hurt your ankle and still play on it, it could just make the injury worse thus a longer time out.
John_Bob
Veteran Member

Post by John_Bob »

Well I have already talked to a doctor and I am cleared to play, now I just need to be able to play without being hampered by pain.
mint
EF Drug Baron

Post by mint »

have you tried taking piankillers before the match that might help, if not just relax and think of anything but the pain, if you think about it the more it hurts so just ignore it.
i was made to ignite
bom1221

Post by bom1221 »

arsenalfc08 wrote:Well the best thing would be to probably ignore it. But sometimes it can come back to haunt you. If whatever pain you are having is really bothering you then you it may be a risk to play. For example if you hurt your ankle and still play on it, it could just make the injury worse thus a longer time out.
twisted my ankle twice in a tournament.
the first time it hurt but i kept playing cuz my coaches encouraged me to play on but the second time i was limping off the field, it was twice in 2 minutes so it became pretty bad. i couldnt play for 2 months

anyway, if its not bad just ignore it. keep playing and just breath regularly
wat kind of injury is it?
John_Bob
Veteran Member

Post by John_Bob »

I have a sports hernia, if you don't know what that is go to this site, http://www.footballtimes.org/Article.asp?ID=159

As you can read in that article, it hurts like hell, and since I am playing with it I most likely will need surgery after the season, I was just hoping somebody had some tips to mentally block out the pain.
arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 »

Hernia's of any kind are painful, especially since you are running around.

How much longer tell the season is over? I don't know what to tell you except try to not think about the pain and just focus on the game,or what your going to do next.

You could try taking 2 ibprofuens or a similar anti-inflammitory drug.
John_Bob
Veteran Member

Post by John_Bob »

It depends, we are in the state tournament which is three round robin games and then single elimination if we advance. I have been taking anti-inflammatory meds but those haven't helped much. I guess I am just gonna have to tough it out.
arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 »

John_Bob wrote:It depends, we are in the state tournament which is three round robin games and then single elimination if we advance. I have been taking anti-inflammatory meds but those haven't helped much. I guess I am just gonna have to tough it out.
You may need a stronger med which you would only be able to get with a doctor's perscritption. You could go to the doctor but he may order you to stop playing if it is bad (may need surgery). However, it would be worth a shot to go and ask if it would be ok to keep playing and hold off on the surgery. From the article, it sounds like you can still play but it will be painful.
Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader »

Loads of professional athletes play with pain all the time, especially the older ones. American football is big too, as people get injured very frequently and, as they say 'It's always a gametime decision.', because you only have 16 games in a season. The best way to deal with this is to learn from experience how far you can push yourself when you aren't 100%, or just returning from an injury, but there are always some tips to help out.

1) Focus on Your Goal

You can set mini-goals for yourself, like 'Win this half.' or 'Mark this dude.', but your ultimate goal should be to win the game. That's all that really is important, secondary only, of course, to your own personal performance. Why I say to focus on winning in this instance, and not your performance, is that, while injured, you don't want to put too much pressure on yourself to return to a high level too quickly. Count every won ball battle as a 'moral victory', and tell yourself you can do at 70% what most guys find hard to do at 100%.

2) Know Thy Limits

Healthy or not, everyone has limits. Sports is about pushing these limits just enough to put off a great game. Push them too far, however, especially when injured, and you could wind up far worse off. Practice by yourself a little, and figure out three things: i) What you can do with ease. ii) What you can do with a little bit of extra effort. iii) What you really can't do at the moment, due to your injury. Keep these in the back of your head, and by no means let them limit you. Just be self-aware.

3) Know That Every Injury Is Not the End

Just because you're cleared to play, or you don't feel that bad, taking a rest is still a good idea. Unless the game is super, ultra important, a day off could be just what you need to rectify your injury, and get back into the swing of things. Are you really THAT vital that your team can't do without you one game? If you answer 'Yes!', you're either a superstar, who has no business wasting his time on EF, or you're conceited. :p Again, it's all up to you, and what you're comfortable with.
zcm12

Post by zcm12 »

During my last season I was still recovering from an ACL tear and it hurt like a mutha bugga! but I took two vicodin (left over from the dentist) before a game. The whole game the pain wasn't so bad but my head was spinning around. I was too out of it to play well and keep my senses sharp. So think about the side effects of strong pain killers before using them. But I don't think there is any way to ignore pain really. just if you get enough adrenaline going.
INTER1908
Veteran Member

Post by INTER1908 »

Focus on breathing. Complain a lot to yourself. Cuss a lot. Try to laugh about how much it hurts...Seriously it works.
Made by 2Brown.
John_Bob
Veteran Member

Post by John_Bob »

INTER1908 wrote:Focus on breathing. Complain a lot to yourself. Cuss a lot. Try to laugh about how much it hurts...Seriously it works.
I actually found myself laughing at the pain a lot yesterday, it actually does work well. Thanks for all the help.
QSolaiman
New User

Post by QSolaiman »

I tend just to play the game out and forget about my injury, but then again I haven't played with a severe injury before.
INTER1908
Veteran Member

Post by INTER1908 »

John_Bob wrote:
INTER1908 wrote:Focus on breathing. Complain a lot to yourself. Cuss a lot. Try to laugh about how much it hurts...Seriously it works.
I actually found myself laughing at the pain a lot yesterday, it actually does work well. Thanks for all the help.
I forgot to add that your a friggin manimal for playing with a hernia. Your my idol for the day.
Made by 2Brown.