Ankle Weight Usage

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
Nikkev
New User

I used ankle weights on prior to playing a competitive indoor match then when I took them off i felt much lighter on my feet and my speed improved but during the course of the game my shooting was completely off. I followed my usual shooting technique and used about 60% of my power but my shots were far off even in positions I would easily hit the target from. Could this be a negative side effect of the weights? If so how can I remedy this but maintain the advantages of using the weights? Thanks in advance for the help.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Yes dawg, using them right before a game will mess you up, if oyu wanna use them use them a few hours or a day before a game, its better.

Before game get use to using the ball you play with woithout weights,(cause thats how youre gonna play) because your touch is gonna be very off... really i dont recomend weights and touching t the ball,

Ankle weights i recommend you use to : practice stepover speed, to do agility drills, like ladders, to do plyometrics, jumping rope, sprintign (although it maight hurt knees), but touches to the ball with wiehgts i dont reccomend because youre not really looking for strong touches, your looking for precise touches, and shooting with ankle weights sucks cause they get in the way of the ball, so dont touch the ball with ankle weights in your feet, thats my advice.

Nikkev
New User

Oh i see, i was using it wrong then although it didnt affect my touch. Thanks for the advice, would you recommend using it to practice any other tricks and what weight would be best i'm currently using two sets (2.5 & 5 pounds)?

karlofootball10
Veteran Member

i wouldnt recommend them at all, especially for intense exercises like plyometrics. they can do damage to your knees or ankles. you really dont need them.
if a quiz is quizzical, then what's a test?

Nikkev
New User

Oh 4 real. Are there any significant benefits from using them? I'm gettin the impression that they do more harm than good.

nextlevel66
Veteran Member

cristiano ronaldo used ankle weights according on the documentary on him and you see how far that took him.
My dream is to go pro and nothing or anyone will get in the way.

karlofootball10
Veteran Member

i mean, you can use ankle weights its just that it increases your chance of injury by alot, especially if you have had problems in the past. you'd hate to tear a ligament just because you wanted some results faster. plus with additional weight on your ankles, it can throw off your natural range of motion.

id say if you really want to use weights, use a weighted vest, this way your center of gravity is not messed up.
if a quiz is quizzical, then what's a test?