when do you look down at the ball whle in a game?

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
zerot4
New User

when do you look down at the ball whle in a game?

Post by zerot4 » 06 Jul 2007, 02:50

i know that you can dribble with your head up but dont you like need to look down at the ball to know where it is and also when you take shots ingame (not penalties) do you still have to look up or do you have to look down. specific details on when to look up and when to look down would be greatly appreciated. sorry if im not being clear on this question.

steve-0
Veteran Member

Post by steve-0 » 06 Jul 2007, 03:10

when ur shooting u shood definetly b focused on teh ball. the goal's not goin anywhere, but the ball is. also when ur trapping the ball, but other than those times, i dont c y u shood b looking down at the ball.

SciFi
New User

Post by SciFi » 06 Jul 2007, 04:51

should we look down when dribbling, that is when trying to beat a defender??

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 06 Jul 2007, 05:10

Not usually, kind of keep the ball in peripheral vision. Look at the defender's lower body/slight mid body and see if he falls for any feints or dekes. You should know where the ball is and once the defender bites, scream past him.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh » 06 Jul 2007, 05:14

rzadzinski wrote:Not usually, kind of keep the ball in peripheral vision. Look at the defender's lower body/slight mid body and see if he falls for any feints or dekes. You should know where the ball is and once the defender bites, scream past him.
Exactly right, if you're trying to beat a defender while looking at the ball you're going to miss the openings that he leaves you, generally when I'm dribbling (because I'm usually running) I have my head up while walking and jogging and when sprinting I keep my vision to about 2 meters in front of me, that means I have enough time to adjust to any tackles being thrown at me.

When doing a 1 on 1 though definitely you shouldn't be looking at the ball, after all, if you're going to use tricks instead of cuts (which I presume you will) you're going to be able to do them without looking at the ball... right?