66%
Fancy
34%

Total votes: 41

FCBarcelona
Veteran Member

Simple v Fancy playing

Post by FCBarcelona » 01 Jun 2007, 18:27

What do you guys think is the better way of playing, short passing with lots of dribbling and fancy moves or mixed type of passing with basic touches??
FORÇA BARÇA!

"I’m a player who can do absolutely anything if I am smiling and laughing. If I’m not happy, then everything becomes more of a struggle,” explained Adriano.

Mercury

Post by Mercury » 01 Jun 2007, 18:48

Usually simple playing style is the best - it gets things done.

But of course some fancy footwork keeps the game interesting.

Why isn't there a "mixed" option? :roll:

FCBarcelona
Veteran Member

Post by FCBarcelona » 01 Jun 2007, 20:56

Because its either one or the other, obvious the most popular choice would be Mixed, but I am interested in the general playing style.
FORÇA BARÇA!

"I’m a player who can do absolutely anything if I am smiling and laughing. If I’m not happy, then everything becomes more of a struggle,” explained Adriano.

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim » 01 Jun 2007, 21:00

FCBarcelona wrote:Because its either one or the other, obvious the most popular choice would be Mixed, but I am interested in the general playing style.
In that case, I choose simple.

powell
English Meister

Post by powell » 01 Jun 2007, 21:32

I play definatley simple, no need to showboat in my opion. Simple the best opion by far for me.

alonso

Post by alonso » 01 Jun 2007, 23:31

i also think simple is the best way to go but being fancy can be benifficial... somtimes

FCBarcelona
Veteran Member

Post by FCBarcelona » 01 Jun 2007, 23:43

Yea simple playing is what I like, funny thing is there is this old guy who claims to be a professional coach etc. and encourages people to do fancy dribbling and to never play the ball off the ground so short balls 100%. I totally disagree with that, the more you dribble, the more you will lose the ball.
FORÇA BARÇA!

thisisdard
Veteran Member

Post by thisisdard » 02 Jun 2007, 07:48

Crowds prefer watching games where people showboat. That's obvious. Even coaches like watching that kind of play but coaches prefer players who keep it simple with ie. passes, instead of putting GREAT risks by dribbling thru many defenders. Well, it's their head if the team loses possession right?

KISS-Keep it simple stupid.

----------
Oh, and is it true that one of the reasons Beckham was not picked for the ENGland team was bec. he prefered passing instead of dribbling the ball around opponents?

Rulezzz
Veteran Member

Post by Rulezzz » 02 Jun 2007, 08:47

Playing simple, most effective way in my opinion, especially wen your a defender :)
CRYSTAL PALACE FC
keller8
"If you don't believe in yourself why should anyone else?" Andrei Shevchencko.

ballackfan
Veteran Member

Post by ballackfan » 02 Jun 2007, 13:47

I don't know about you guys, I actually enjoy seeing players beating defenders and doing tricks, that show real skills. Not to say, if you play "simple" you have none because you can't do them physically. Some of the premiership game I watched are too boring with a lot short passes and "simple" play.

What I seen a flaw sometimes is that players are not dribbling/holding the ball long enough for a good pass to score, but rather pass it too many square and back passes which it may likely end up being intercepted or mugged. I personally liked short passing for some situation, but losing possession because of dribbling aren't much different from a pass being intercepted. Some players can dribble better than others. I sometimes watched games from Argentina and Colombia, and I have to say much more exciting that some league in Europe. :)

Foxmero

Post by Foxmero » 02 Jun 2007, 14:12

this is what sperates me from the rest of my school in soccer. my school enjoys a bit of dazzle when dribbling a soccer ball such as rainbows and elasticos and i can do some of that but i perfer passing and getting the ball up. Problem is that people think im bad at soccer until i showed them i can freestyle and deke better but i still perfer being humble casue you give everyone the chance to play
I Will Win The World Cup No Matter What It Takes
Image.

Thanks Shifty_fsu

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member

Post by Real_Zidane » 02 Jun 2007, 14:46

Simple. Gets the job done just as good or better than fancy with less work.

FCBarcelona
Veteran Member

Post by FCBarcelona » 02 Jun 2007, 16:24

I think the only good situation to dribble is near the sidelines to try to get the cross in, the rest should be simple passes in a build up from defense to the attack.
FORÇA BARÇA!

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Post by Soccer4Life » 09 Jun 2007, 17:47

Simple as in 1v1 and dribbling? Yes, I use very simple moves like a touch inside then accelerating outwards, or simple rolls, cuts and occasionally scissors. I dribble when there are few or no good passing options and few defenders around me. I can be very simple going 1v1 where I just use my brain to outsmart the defender rather than complex moves. There's really no right answer, it's just so dependent on the situation and what's at stake. If you want to try something, go for it. But is it really worth the extra glory if you're only getting by your defender 2 times out of 10 instead of 8 or 9 times out of 10?

Simple as in passing? I really can't say. I usually only pass short quick passes when I'm doing stuff like wall passes, takeovers, and other more complex styles of play. I'm not saying I never pass the ball short, but I usually take a really risky through ball that curves around or lobs over the defense and usually puts my player on a 1v1 with the goalie. Say I do this 5 or 6 times a game, and it works 3 or 4 times. Well, that usually turns into 2 or 3 assists. When through balls aren't an option, I either give it to the CM to distribute, pass it off to a winger, or, most commonly, dribble it near the goal and either cross it or shoot. I don't know if you would call this simple, but I would definately say it has some of the "trick" factor involved.

Overall, I keep it simple soccer. I do what I have to do, and I only take risks that would end up with scoring chances. I don't take risks to give myself glory, because I see that as selfish if you do it too much. So if anyone here plays "tricky" soccer just for the sake of doing moves for your own glory, think about if you're still contributing as much as you could be with a simple style of play. If you are, great. If not, consider some changes; you could become a better player.

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim » 09 Jun 2007, 20:21

We are primarily simple here at EF. :)