Tips for a good right winger?

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
frizzyan
Veteran Member

One of the biggest problems I've had all my life is finding the right position.
I've played from center mid, right back, striker and etc.. I think I've done quite well in all those positions, cause I tackle when and when I play striker, I've grabbed in a ton of goals. Yet, I really don't feel natural in them.

Just recently I tried right wing and I loved it. I showed my coach and he's very impressed because of my individual play and my good feetwork. But here's the problem.

I want to know how to balance individual play with team play, like when should I pass and when should I do a few little tricks(I've got a whole locker of them even though my control needs improvement) before sending a cross in. And also, when I'm at the edge of the penalty box, how do I cross the ball straight? I'm also getting really tired tracking back on defense, which is surprsing cos' I've got one of the best staminas on most of the teams I play for. My tackling and etc is good so do you have any balancing defense/offense for right wing tips? Finally, any tips on playing against bigger guys?!

SORRY FOR SUCH A LONG POST! (P.S MUCH SHORTER THAN MY LAST ONES)

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

Do tricks when U want to stall/wait for Ur team to reach the offensive zone.

Crossing the ball straight when near the penalty box? Try chipping and let Ur strikers go for the ball.

Dun run too fast when Ur team is defending. Soccer isn't about pace, it's about tactical movement. And once U've managed to place Urself near the potential threat, U've neutralised him.

Playing against big guys? Toe poke when tackling and dun be too physical.

frizzyan
Veteran Member

How about getting past bigger players? How should I play "big" or what kind of fakes would be more effective on bigger players.

Also for the individual play such as tricks, I see some of the best right wingers in the world such as Cristiano Ronaldo and Joaquin Sanchez using them even though they've got a decent amount of players inside and around the penalty box that are able to cause a threat? Yet, the tricks are still effective so how should I balance that.

As for crossing for both ground ball and mid-air balls, any tips on getting the ball past the first defender? (I mean of course I can do that but I'd just like to see some more tips and advice to make it more consistent because I'm not sure if my technique is right.)

Thanks.

matt
EF Forum Legend

a combination of tricks and passing seems to be the logical style. watch players such as c. ronaldo, beckham and figo they are masters of this position. also giggs, hu i know is a left-winger, is very gd at his position so watch him to and do it on the other side(!)

i loved playing right-wing to - it helps improve ur all-round game hugely and is a key position in attacking football.
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

matt
EF Forum Legend

to improve ur crossing try and take ur tym a bit more. it is not easy to practice by urself but concentrate on where u r kicking the ball and where u want the ball to end up. r u:

a)trying to pick out a specific player?
b)simply hitting it in a dangerous area?

u shd be trying to do b) more often as ther is very little margin for error with a).

think about ur team-mates positions and runs, how fast they r going, wot direction etc.
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

fir_nev

matt wrote: a)trying to pick out a specific player?
b)simply hitting it in a dangerous area?
Option A is when U really can make pin-point crosses.
Option B is for players like us generally. I opt mostly for B too. But A is a bonus. Just like my RM who has deadly accuracy for crossing and shooting.

frizzyan
Veteran Member

How about getting past bigger players? How should I play "big" or what kind of fakes would be more effective on bigger players.

Also for the individual play such as tricks, I see some of the best right wingers in the world such as Cristiano Ronaldo and Joaquin Sanchez using them even though they've got a decent amount of players inside and around the penalty box that are able to cause a threat? Yet, the tricks are still effective so how should I balance that.

As for crossing for both ground ball and mid-air balls, any tips on getting the ball past the first defender? (I mean of course I can do that but I'd just like to see some more tips and advice to make it more consistent because I'm not sure if my technique is right.)

fir_nev

frizzyan wrote: As for crossing for both ground ball and mid-air balls, any tips on getting the ball past the first defender? (I mean of course I can do that but I'd just like to see some more tips and advice to make it more consistent because I'm not sure if my technique is right.)
Dun constantly think about crossing. It depends on Ur teammates' positioning. If this means making lateral passes, do it. Even if U do get to cross the ball in but when there's noone there, it'll be a waste.

fir_nev

Oh... my bad.... I got the wrong idea then...

h

what is the most effective feint 2 use on the wing
simpler or more complex moves

Rulezzz
Veteran Member

Im afraid if your team plays 4-4-2 and you play on the right side of midfield, you will have to track back for the sake of your team. Of course you can attack a lot too, but as a right back its so helpful having a right winger who helps defensively, then you can repay the favour helping him go forward.
CRYSTAL PALACE FC
keller8
"If you don't believe in yourself why should anyone else?" Andrei Shevchencko.

Clumsylegs
Veteran Member

Rulezz I gotta agree with you. I have been playing right winger for almost 3 years and the hardest thing to me is interacting with the right back.
Good stamina is essential for a winger...

racketylui
New User

i think its a big deal if the right winger doesnt help out on defence i play alot of right back and when my midfielder gets lazy it can cause some big problems. that is why I am very picky about who the coach plays in front of me.
If you do nothing you will be nothing