Talking.

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
sumsoccerkid

Alright i was typing another reply when this came into my head. Do you guys/gals talk 2 ur opponents in a 1v1 situation at all.. or even before a corner or something?

I know i do in a 1v1 all the time. But what type of things do u say? and am i the only one that does this?

SSK

Viduka
Veteran Member

More detail or a clearer explanation?? What do you mean? As in talk with oponents during a football match on the pitch?? So.. when you driblle one v one up the field you say a nice "hello "and "goodbye" and run past him?
Last edited by Viduka on 30 Jan 2007, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

powell
English Meister

Im dont really talk to my opponent while in a 1 v 1 situation more when the golie hands me the ball for a penalty or when the ref filps a coin for kick-off. i usually say thing such as 'good luck but shame that your gonna walk away with nothing' you know just the things like that although when i take a penalty ill say to the keeper 'good luck mate' although i'd rather him not save it. I f im playing against a team that i know ill just joking say stuff like if i nutmeg a mate of mine ill say' nuts' or 'ole' and if im taking a penalty against a mate on the other team ill say' im going top left remeber top left' and that puts doubt in his mind.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

One thing I do is if I meg someone or if I cut them up very bad, just as I explode in the opposite direction I'll make a high pitched sound like Skeiiirt, haha it's really hard to type, but the sound that would happen if you slam on the brakes really fast in a car. Usually I only say that in pratice though when we're all joking around. Hopefully you can figure out what I mean because I feel really stupid typing that lol. Another thing, as I'm on my way past a player I just dribbled by I'll look back and say "see ya." That gets under their skin.

One time, I was 1v1 against a defender on the wing, and the team had seen me do some stepovers before that match, so one of his teammates called out "Watch the ball, not his feet!" So I said, "yea, watch the ball." And I did an elastico and faked him out of socks hehe.

sumsoccerkid

I mean like... just tlaking to them while facing them.. even if they dont have the ball. Ill take the ball of someone, clear it and just say "to bad man, maybe next time... ill leave my legs open for u 2... if u want" and i usually get looks and what not. Just saying stuff that gets under their skin and kills their confidence wiht the ball..specially after a couple times u completly stone them when they try and get around it. It annoys them... but i geuss im really the only one that talks to them... i dont tak like "u suck blah blah" just stuff that i know gets 2 them.

SSK

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

I usually don't talk to them other team, but one time when this guy tried to beat me by doing like 5 stepovers and then tried to nutmeg me, and I took the ball away really cleanly, I said to my teammate as I went by, "I feel bad for this guy, maybe next time I'll let him beat me". He got really pissed.

Mattsta

Well the only time I rly speak to the other team is at the start in the line-up: "good luck" and shake hands etc. And then at the end "good game, well played" etc.

The only other times I rly speak to the other team is if they're barging like really heavily then I might say "take it easy" or "watch it".

There was this one other time when our team was in this soccer tournament back last year, and someone smashes the ball in to my abs. he goes: "sorry mate you okay" and I go "Yeah I'm fine I just tensed my abs so I didn't feel a thing". Well that was a one off thing and probs won't happen again.

Other then those 4 or so times, nope I don't rly speak with the other team, I just focus on the game and what has to be done
THE|new|GENERATION|of|FREESTYLERS|are|BORN|

gunnerz23
Veteran Member

I talk to opponents before and after a match, or halftime but rarely talk to opponents during a match. Only time id talk is if I nutmeg someone. Ill yell out a few things like "Nutzed!", "Owned!", "Ole!" "Laterz" and "Cya!"
Yer...im a bit of a smartass on the field... :P
forum for all arsenal fans:http://www.talkarsenal.com

"Theres nothing Im scared of in football."- Thierry Henry

ajc
The Philly Flyer

gunnerz23 wrote:I talk to opponents before and after a match, or halftime but rarely talk to opponents during a match. Only time id talk is if I nutmeg someone. Ill yell out a few things like "Nutzed!", "Owned!", "Ole!" "Laterz" and "Cya!"
Yer...im a bit of a smartass on the field... :P
Haha I hate players like you. That type of behavior by my opponent usually leads to him on the ground and me seeing yellow if you know what I mean.

sumsoccerkid

Lol... well ive never been yellowd thankfully :lol:

But i heard that in the pro leagues they talk 2 their opponents.. try and get into their head. Mattsta.. u can focus on the game and what needs to be done.. but theres multi tasking :wink:

Ill usually talk to them in a 1v1 situation at the touchline.. if im behind them.. and have them trapped ill focus on the ball.. but let my mouth run a little.... somethims ill say "my legs are open if u want.... common, u can get around me, im not that good.... ur making me look ike a pro man... keep it comin thats right.. dont put the ball out, u know how much we need a sub" I find it doesnt take my focus away from the game.. just his..cuz he starts listening to me.. and thats when i can grab the oppertunity to capitalize on his screw ups.

or if he fans on a shot and puts it way wide or way over the bar.. and its like his fifth time doing it.. ill say "man thast 5... how many chances do i have to give u before u put one away..and ill wink"

I dono i find it works for me..

Story time with SSK: :lol:

A guy was facing me one on one.. and he was coming at me and i was "ushering" him off to the side(this infront of all the parents and such) and it does a stepover and gos "woo wooooooooo" well..this stepover didnt work and i took the ball of him right when he finished... cleared it and went "woo woooooooo".. man when i looked back at him he was pissed, all the parents were laughin at him.. aww it was great.. got under his skin and he couldnt focus the rest of the game :lol:

SSK

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

I never say anything after taking someone on one vs. one. When I'm on the field, I try to stay as focused on my play as possible, and taunting the opponents like that just gets me lost usually. However, I do try sometimes to physically intimidate players. For example, if someone is just being a complete ass to me, kicking my legs, and doing other stuff like that, I have no problem throwing a threat or squaring up to the person in an attempt of drawing the other person out of the game by way of intimidation or by getting him to try and start a fight or something, thus getting him sent off (I would never start a fight, that's just stupid.) Sometimes I'll throw in some slight hits that are "accidental" (nothing to injure, just enough to say 'hey, don't mess with me'", but that's about it really. There's no need for the sayings like "oh, you just got served" or stuff like that.
God damn brewery!!!

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Mpcarres14, we think similarly. If my team is slacking, or we are asleep, or a player is bugging us I will give that player or any player some accidental contact. Especially happens when we are losing. But one game, it was like 20 seconds into my indoor game, and the guy totally tripped me intentionally behind the ref's back. I quickly got up, swore at him so the ref kind of knew that something between us had happened already. Then the ball got crossed across the box, he was right in front of me and I ploughed him to the side and almost scored off a cross. (Just missed, but I knew there had to be a foul) We both got blue cards (2 minutes off, stupid hockey rules hey?) It might not have been the best thing to do, but it worked. It fired my team up and on my next shift I scored. And then potted 3 more after that! It just fueled my fire I guess. And at the end of the game, it was 5-1 for us. And I saw that their player was going to smash our player into the boards. It was like 10 seconds to go, so I came and gave this kid a little bit of hip to send the message before he got to really get to our player, I fell into him. *cough* :) The ref gave me that look, but the buzzer rang and the game was over. Then the kid I hit starts talking crap to my player because our player told him to piss off. Calls him a baby? Like wow, a baby, how old, and immature is that. I had to say something. I just told him this baby just kicked your ass so you better shut up. Well, the kid didn't shake my hand after the game! What an a**. :D

Yeah, only when I'm playing around I talk to opponents 1 v 1, like oh sh** your going to get owned, I'm going left, going right. Get ready to get owned. Check this skill out and all sorts of silly things like that, but not in a real game. :wink:
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

shahensha
Veteran Member

Haha I never try saying cocky stuff like that. For some reason, if I say something cocky or think cocky, I will have the worst game possible.

The only time I had a convo with a person was two years ago in a soccer tourney when I complimented him on his belch..............yeah thats about it.

Hugh
Veteran Member

I'll usually only talk to an opponent if I'm talking back to one, like for instance in my last game a defender said "If you shoulder me like that one more time I'll kill you" (I tend to shoulder barge fairly aggressively.) So in that case I just said "Awww muffin! It's a man's game so play it like you are one." Which I do to make them lose focus and to hopefully draw a foul or a card that will be useful for the team; apart from that I'll only talk to the opposing goalie, i.e. "I'll get you next time." or "Hooohooo! Cutting it close there aren't we?" To make him freeze up when coming off his line.

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Wow! Today I had a game with a ref who just couldn't stop getting hit by the ball. He was getting in the way of everything. Ugh! It made me so mad!!!! One of the things that happened was when the ball was going into a corner and there were like 2 of their player getting in my way, and there was no way around so I had to just keeping going through them, not cheaply or anything, just pushed myself through with my body. Then he says you better back off buddy or you're going to get a card. I responded with "well, it's too bad these kids like getting in my way," I left it at that and continued playing. (This was not the first time he was talking to me this game BTW, we had a few short conversations.) Later in the game, I was just leaning on the guy with the ball who had his back towards me with the ball. I wasn't pushing him or anything. I just planted myself right behind him, to prevent him from turning. The ref keeps telling me lay off #8 lay off. OMG, like shut up already, go through your rulebook, I'm not pushing him. (He had been telling me this all game) I end up winning the ball without him calling a foul, and him still telling me to ease off or something stupid like that. And then I try to bounce it off of the boards and he's standing right there!!! Blocks a 2 on 1 for us and turns it into a turnover and the ball going the other way!!! I snapped, enough was enough, I yelled out "Well, Ref I could if you weren't standing in my f***ing way!!!!" He didn't card me though. (A bit of a head scratcher, ain't it?) He decided to give me a little talk and said. "Hey don't talk to me like that kid, I have to be here as long as you do." I replied with a "Yeah, but it's frustrating when you keep getting in the way!!" It just pissed me off, he's out there running around for an hour getting paid. I want to be there and want to play and he tells me we're in here for the same amount of time. Well, your getting paid and your complaining? For getting paid the least you can do is be a decent ref. It was a completely stupid answer, it really got to me. It didn't really make any sense, I didn' treally get his point.

BTW, I apologized to the ref after the game, I'm not that much of an ass. the heat of the game really changes me. :wink:

And sorry for getting off topic, it still is about talking. :roll:
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin