4-4-2 a universal formation?

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

Post by fir_nev » 28 Apr 2005, 06:18

4-4-2 is universal, yes... But it's up to the mastermind of the team. My coach used 4-4-2. For me, I liked using 4-1-3-2, customised 4-4-2, once we've taken the lead in important games.

My team agreed on the W system when we wanted to shut down the other team for 1-goal margin wins.

soccerchic_06
Veteran Member

Post by soccerchic_06 » 28 Apr 2005, 11:50

cfrealmadrid wrote:have you ever heard the phrase "soccer mom?" it's because everyone's kids play soccer. the only problem with our country is that no one takes it seriously enough.
thank you very much, that is so true and the point i am trying to get across about my team! :D

soccerchic_06
Veteran Member

Post by soccerchic_06 » 28 Apr 2005, 11:51

whats the W system? thats aninteresting system u came up w/ 4-1-3-2

expert
Site Admin

Post by expert » 28 Apr 2005, 15:12

There's no such thing as a "universal formation". The purpose of a formation is to make optimal use of your players. The 4-4-2 is flexible and popular, but inherently, it can never be universal.
dooglas wrote:it depends, I wouldnt like leaving a forward on his lonesome up there no matter how good he is.
So, you're saying you would prefer to play a particular formation rather than have your 11 most effective players on the pitch playing in positions that are most suited for them? Formations are meant to be adjusted and customized in order to accommodate your players, not the other way around.

dooglas
Veteran Member

Post by dooglas » 28 Apr 2005, 18:40

you misunderstand expert

i dont like having a forward by himself...meaning most balls will go to him..it adds unneeded pressure, if someone is really good at playing mid, they can easily be put as a forward, good touch pace and field vision.

im not just gonna throw my players on the field in that formation and not even consider where they play. lol...i dont know where you got that from.

but ive noticed that teams that adjust there formations mid match lose a lot from what i have seen. you intterupt a flow that that formation brought in my opinion, a formation doesnt guarantee anything except good mesh and organization...which are pretty big...otherwise coachs wouldnt bother using them right?

so if i have a forward by himself when i could have one of my good mids up there with him, then ill prolly do that.
Wow, he just megged three people, maradonas around the last defender, and missed the shot, then not five minutes later a guy on the other team shoots when he gets the ball and scores...

who would you rather be?

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

Post by fir_nev » 29 Apr 2005, 02:32

soccerchic_06 wrote:whats the W system? thats aninteresting system u came up w/ 4-1-3-2
How do I go explaining this W system... hmm... For me, when I was 15, we were explained that there are 2 sweepers behind 3 defenders. Correct me if I'm wrong, people. I was taught that way.

Our starting line:
Here, we already know that my DMF was to do primarily defensive duties. He fought to win possession with alot of tackling. I admired him greatly.

Our defence formation during game:
Here, the F will take over the central midfield while my CM goes down to be the 6th defensive player. RM and LM can help apply pressure but no need to go down too much. The flat 5 is to deal with aerial threats or good dribblers.

Our offence formation during game:
This is when I did my overlapping runs. The 3 guys have to be able to hold up the ball. Man, I will always remember their ability to read eachother's mind. I only helped making dummy runs or one-twos.

lucas2411
Sophomore Member

Post by lucas2411 » 29 Jun 2005, 02:11

I think everyone has taken "universal" out of context. Universal in this case means that 4-4-2 can be used to play against all formations, it is a very versatile formation and suits most teams. In my experience there are more midfielders and defenders than strikers so it suits most teams positions. 4-4-4-2 can be very offensive, by using the mids as attacking mids, or can be more defense orientated, using defensive mids, or even half att, half def. Its not saying that it is the most popular formation or its used everywhere.