Throw in; Deliberately to opponent (hard)

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
G-Unit-Freestyler

Is it legal to throw in, if say the opponent is looking the other way, and I throw it at the back of his head, if non my teammates are free? Just want to make sure be4 I do it in a match :P

Wiseman_philosopher

Why would you want to that??? Make yourself look good or something?
He who thinks too much about every step he takes will stay on one leg all his life.

Magicfeet

What I think G-Unit Freestyler is wondering, wiseman, is whether it would be legal to deliberately bounce the ball off and opponent (and get the ball back himself) from a throw in, if none of his team mates are unmarked. As a back-up option, perhaps. And perhaps to wind a player up (there's really no need to throw it in the back of his head! ;) )

In answer: It's completely legal, if perhaps a little unsporting and risky. Besides, if you do bounce it off someones head, I'm pretty sure the next time you get the ball you'll be waving goodbye to your kneecaps. Let us know how it turns out.

Wiseman_philosopher

Magicfeet wrote:What I think G-Unit Freestyler is wondering, wiseman, is whether it would be legal to deliberately bounce the ball off and opponent (and get the ball back himself) from a throw in, if none of his team mates are unmarked. As a back-up option, perhaps. And perhaps to wind a player up (there's really no need to throw it in the back of his head! ;) )
Well duh.

What I was wondering is why he would want to do that (throw it hard at an opponent to wind them up).
He who thinks too much about every step he takes will stay on one leg all his life.

Pokerized

One of my teammates did that in a game and the ref game him a yellow card for unsportsmanlike behavior. Granted, this was after about 5 other yellow cards on both sides, so the game was incredibly heated and tense. I'm not sure how legal it would be when the game wasn't so tense. Or maybe the ref was just an idiot (which he was) and made a bad call.
"Some people believe that football is a matter of life and death; I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."
-Bill Shankly

Morgoth

Its legal. Ive seen it done in a match and I dont really see why it shouldnt be legal
Must suck to be you

~Dynamic_Dinamo~

I've seen it done in professional basketball games before.

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

~Dynamic_Dinamo~ wrote:I've seen it done in professional basketball games before.
Yeah so have i. The player does it when nobody on his/her team is open.

Futbolstud
Veteran Member

yea it may be legal in bball but not soccerthat counts as striking and is cautionable offense i know this because i just got my license

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

I disagree. Many times in a game, a player will kick the ball off another player and get his team a throw-in, and it is totally legal. Saying that throwing it off an opponent is just complicating certain situations, hence, there is no rule stateing that you can not throw it off your opponent. Now, if you throw the ball with one arm, as hard as you can at his/her face, you will be risking a card.

Futbolstud
Veteran Member

we discused it in class its one of the 7 cuationable offenses and it goes down under striking

englishplayer

I think it will depend on how you do it. I think you could away with it if weren't obvious about it. If you look like your clearly aiming for the back of someones head while their turned and you just launch it at him then most likely you will be called for it. If you do it so that it doesn't seem so obvious then you would probably be able to get away with it. I know that you can get off by just kicking it off of the other team because I have done this many times before.

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

Legal.. but up to the ref's decision.

englishplayer

I personally would not do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l0aDcqAhgo

zizou

you can download the official rules at www.fifa.com and check there... sorry i don't have the time to check myself