Problems as a striker

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
frizzyan
Veteran Member

Hi everyone (sorry if the post is so long)

I'm a striker supposedly, even though I do enjoy playing on the right wing but my problem is my crossing and long passes are awful so please help me there.

A few months ago, I could not even play properly on concrete but now I'm starting to excel in a concrete game 7on7. However, obviously when I start playing on grass, it's a total different game and I'm finding it difficult to transform my street form onto the grass. I'm sure it'll take some time but I do have a few weaknesses.

My problem is that I have poor vision, although that problem has been solved after I read through this site's training pages that teaches you with vision. Yet, it hasn't been quite effective on grass as it has on concrete. I do tend to look around more when I receive the ball, but here's the problem.

When I do receive the ball, obviously I don't expect my players to be motionless so they move around. But when i get the ball, I tend to look at the ball and when I look up, I may find myself losing the ball or lacking the required ball control.

My headering is poor because I'm so timid of the ball, but when I do drills such as challenging against other players in the air, I always seem to win them but when it comes to games, I'm too scared to challenge. Part of the reason is that my right eye was injured a while ago and I am told that it can never completley recover. It is fine when I look around with two eyes but when I just look around with my right eye, there is something that is blocking it so I'm scared to lose my right eye.

My shooting is also awkward but I do have the ability to strike the ball powerfully. The accuracy is something I'm struggling to achieve because not only can I not control the height of the ball, but I also cannot control where the ball should go to, i.e. top left corner, top right corner etc etc. On the other hand, my finishing is quite decent because I seem to be in the right position at the right time so I do get a lot of tap-ins.

My ball control also has problems because sometimes I can control the ball quite ok, other times I can't. I have problems controlling the ball properly with chest because sometimes it just bounces off, even though i try caving in and cushioning my chest. As I said earlier, my long passes are the problem and I'm very inconsistent when it comes to long passes because I don't have the right technique.

My strengths: My pace. I am able to run past mids and defenders without them ever being able to catch me, but I don't know why I can't seem to dribble that well in a grass game, possibily because I don't want to hog too much. I think i should be more selfish but I don't know. My supporting runs are also quite strong because of my speed and I'm rarely flagged offside. As mentioned earlier, my tap-ins have bagged me numerous goals but that's about it.

Recently, I made it past 3 rounds for a national youth team selection trial (I live in asia), but then due to my nationality (american), I got rejected in the final round so I'm quite devastated, but then I'm trying to bounce back and improve my play overall.

So, please offer me huge amount of advice as I need it badly!!

Thanks for taking time reading this long post,
Andy

Gunner_d14

b4 i say anything..... :shock: wow..that's really long
-The Beloved One-

Gunner_d14

ok we'll do this in parts...With the crosses the only thing that can help you is practice..and i mean practice..I myself cudn't play a longball if my life depended on it..not to mention accuracy on it even if i get it off the ground but practice really help i mean late hours early hours just on the pitch crossing.

You need to be aware of the players b4 you get the ball so that you'll be able to focus on your control..don't try many things at once especially if you know a defender is closing in..you'll be prone to slip up. Knowing your team mate's runs will come with time as you play more and more with them and learn their styles..some like it to their feet and some in space

I can't help you with headering cuz i don't header myself..i hate it seriously..coach cud say what i ain't gona hit that ball with my head.

Shooting accuracy also comes with practice..cept for me i was born accurate i just don't have power in the shot
As far as techniques go i watch alot of tapes and stuff and study the way pro's hit the ball.
It's all alot of work but hey it's worth it
-The Beloved One-

frizzyan
Veteran Member

Crossing with practice? it's hard to practice by myself though, and in Asia here, playing on grass alone for free is impossible to do. Let's say I cross by myself on concrete, but that means I would have to retrieve the ball all the time.

Awareness? I always scan the pitch before receiving the ball nowadays, but like I said, players move and when I get the ball, I seem to lack the peripheral vision that lets me see players around me.

Gunner_d14

don't you have access to like 5 balls..just get them and practice switching field to hit a target..then switch to that side of the field and cross back ..develop both sides crossing..cross to let it bounce off the wall or something...u gotta practice somehow

with awareness start slow and use the utility player..the player next to you to pass to and read his runs..when u get comfortable enough branch out to other players
-The Beloved One-

frizzyan
Veteran Member

Hah wow I was just scrolling some of my previous posts, and I came along this one.

I guess this was LONG time ago cause since then, I've turned into a winger, I have completely different roles and I'm enjoying it. Amazing how things change so quickly.

Sivi
New User

chest - you shold heat the ball as downward as possible and still controll it.

head- you should hit it in a lower angle strate your neck. if you have a eye problem be carefull and maby take your time.

pass- go to passing at this sight. watch pro games how they pass.etc. take the eyes off the ball (so many players cant do it). have in mind the development and pass.

ball conrol- practice on stabeling the ball on your own foot. bouncing.

acuracy- you shoot (im sure) too strong- the stronger you shot its harder to aim. kee points are quickness of release aquracy and speed of the ball and also deceptiveness all before POWER so concider that (not while you play :wink: )

good luck!

sivki