Not screwing up under pressure

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
featherfeet
Sophomore Member

I have a serious problem. off the field i can deke out any of my friends, recieve every pass beautifully, pass great and shoot without a problem. but once a game get started i just freeze. the drills i do are all gone, people have to scream their heads off at me for me to move towards the ball. i don't kno what it is but i just get scared when i get the ball in a game. i dont kno could someone help me with the mental part of the game????

thx,
ff
wot im doing
---------------
learning
studying henry's tricks
so that i can learn them
and disgrace random children who think that they're better than me at football

A-man147

I think this should go under physiology but w.e. Before a game make sure you get into the right state of mind, get there early get a lot of touches on the ball have a good warm up routine.
Also try to visualize everything you want to do in the game, from passing, shooting, and everything else. Also I read in a book "secerts of Soviets training" about how the trainers use to talk to the athlete and say things like "you are the best", "no one can beat you" and the athlete use to say it to himself, they did it 15 minutes when they wake up and 15 min, before they sleep, but you have to be fully relaxed, let everything go, close your eyes and say it. It was proven that it helps a lot in confience so you can play to your full potential. Also look on this site for more things on visualtization cause they are also really important.

http://www.expertfootball.com/forum/vie ... confidence
http://www.expertfootball.com/forum/vie ... ualization

Hope this helps! :)
Image KEvinR9

"In 1969 I gave up woman and alcohol. It was the worst 20 minutes of my life." George Best

carthago
New User

Guys,
Same problem here! When in training or just having football fun with Friends theres no problem at all!
but when playing a match for my team. i just freeze, and loose all receiving balls to opposite players orso. After 5 mins i usually get so a shamed and lose so much of my conficende that all i want is to get of the pitch and go home as fast as i can.

Im definetly going to work with your advise! also on the advise of visualiztion!

I only have one question; How do you keep your confidence up if you fail passing or defending the ball once or twice? (So you can continue the game without feeling so terrible about it).

I know that errors happen. And that everyone makes mistakes... i just feel so ***** about mine

Thanks.
:oops:

af2266

carthago wrote:Guys,
Same problem here! When in training or just having football fun with Friends theres no problem at all!
but when playing a match for my team. i just freeze, and loose all receiving balls to opposite players orso. After 5 mins i usually get so a shamed and lose so much of my conficende that all i want is to get of the pitch and go home as fast as i can.

Im definetly going to work with your advise! also on the advise of visualiztion!

I only have one question; How do you keep your confidence up if you fail passing or defending the ball once or twice? (So you can continue the game without feeling so terrible about it).

I know that errors happen. And that everyone makes mistakes... i just feel so ***** about mine

Thanks.
:oops:
All you need to do if you mess up is shrug it off your shoulders, it happens, all the time. Even in the world cup(coughbrazilcough). But when you get the ball I do mean you need to stay CALM. I used to have the same problem a year ago, but after I took the whole stay calm thing to heart, it actually works. Don't get worked up and scared when you get the ball, let go all of your fears.
some guy yelled at me...

A-man147

yeah also all pros have a "black box" in there mind, and when they do a mistake they put the mistake in the black box and close it, then they open it after the game and work on it. Its an actual process the pros use.
Image KEvinR9

"In 1969 I gave up woman and alcohol. It was the worst 20 minutes of my life." George Best

carthago
New User

Thanks guys. im going to work on it!
Season starts this week! :wink:

This website sure does have lot of info on practicing football!