Soccer: a game of the Mind?

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
Enjoythis469
Sophomore Member

I know people say the smartest athletes in the world play soccer and soccer is a game of thinking/the mind...but what makes it so? This probably sounds like a dumber question, but i would just like to see what others believe makes it like this. thank you in advance :roll:

jonas Vanden Broecke
Sophomore Member

there are so many way's in how a player must think , how to handle the ball . You have to know when to pass the ball ,when to keep it with you, or when to shoot it . you have to think about your position and the position of your team members and the positions of the other team . So it's much more than you think .

peace and say no to racism

Enjoythis469
Sophomore Member

I understand what your saying but im looking for more reasons that separate it from other sports such as basketball/hockey/baseball... etc

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

for one thing, the field is bigger than in most other sports. this gives the players more space to move around, and thus more potential good and bad positions, and thus more decisions to make. the game time is longer than in basketball, hockey, and sometimes baseball. there is more time for the opposing team to tie the game, and more defensive tactics needed by your team. also, there are more players on the field at a time than in (most) other sports. there are more potential choices for your team, and more potential threats playing against you. those are just some of the main points i can think of, i hope that answers your question.
Hala Galacticos

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

Football is said to be closely related to chess....

Well, alot of tactics I must say.

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

fir_nev wrote:
Well, alot of tactics I must say.

yes thats true there are alot of tactics but i would say that basketball has more tactics and is more a game of the mind.

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

basketball is probably second on my list. there is less space, and less players, which is my main reason for putting it lower than football.
Hala Galacticos

sgfresh13
Sophomore Member

cfrealmadrid wrote:basketball is probably second on my list. there is less space, and less players, which is my main reason for putting it lower than football.
not making assumptions or anything, but you probaly havent played high school football or anything, but it takes waay more thinking in basketball. For basketball as long as you know how to shoot good and play your fine. Football you always have to know where the ball is and anticipate thigns the other team might do...making ou think way more than basketball...Though they are might seem clso football is way more of a thinking game.

soccerdynamite

very hard thinking topic...i hav a book called how soccer explains the world. u might want 2 check it out and c.
WHAT THE HELL? WHY DO THEY SCREW HENRY ALL THE TIME? IS IT CAUSE HE'S BLACK?
what happens to a soccer player that headbutts another player?

he starts eating babys 8)

jdefoe
Forum groupie

NO LINE CHANGES, NO TIMEOUTS, NO STOPPAGES....enough said

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

I played football just now in my military camp as a sweeper.

Guess what? I spent 90 mins analysing how my team and the opponents played. Well, most of the time, when a player got away from my defenders, I'd dash and slid for the ball. Well, talking about determination....

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

sgfresh13 wrote:
cfrealmadrid wrote:basketball is probably second on my list. there is less space, and less players, which is my main reason for putting it lower than football.
not making assumptions or anything, but you probaly havent played high school football or anything, but it takes waay more thinking in basketball. For basketball as long as you know how to shoot good and play your fine. Football you always have to know where the ball is and anticipate thigns the other team might do...making ou think way more than basketball...Though they are might seem clso football is way more of a thinking game.
i didn't play a lot of varsity or anything, but i did play high school this year. i ended up with 3 goals, so i did get a pretty fair amount of time for a freshman. anyway, i think they're pretty close to being equal. i think there's really no absolute right answer.
Hala Galacticos

The_Majestic

I've played baseball, basketball, football, and of course soccer. All of these sports require thinking and I would place basketball and soccer at the top of the list. Basketball is very quick and compact. It is back-and-forth, up and down, etc. Soccer is quick and open. Both sports require more endurance which means that you have to be "tougher" minded then other sports. Football has a break every 5-15 seconds while basketball and soccer are much different. But I'm not meaning to discredit baseball and football because strategy is a must to becoming victorious. I just believe that basketball and soccer take more mental aspects then others.
2005-2006 Sophmore starter as Varsity Sweeper.
2004-2005 Freshman starter as Varsity Left Back.
2003-2004 NTX Strikers '89 Right/Left Winger.
2004-2005 NTX Strikers '90 Sweeper.
2005-2006 NTX Strikers '90 Sweeper.