Can a Ref do This ????????????????????????

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
Mr.SoccerMojo
Veteran Member

I was talking to my friend the other day and he was telling me about a game he saw where someone gave a foul in the p-box so the ref said pk but some of the teammates kept on nagging about not giving the guy a redcard and so the ref gave the other team the pen.

So WTF can a ref do this ?????
Those who race towards death
Those who wait
&
Those who worry

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

short answer. no.
Hala Galacticos

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Yeah the ref can't do that, thats a terrible call. He cant just award a team a penalty, he can just give out cards
Last edited by Croatianblood1 on 07 Feb 2006, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.

peps1154
Veteran Member

Obviously no, he can give them all cards but giving a penatly would be like gifting a goal, that is outside his power.

aholz7
New User

what age group was this? and did it have any effect on the game? did their team win?

carl155
Sophomore Member

From reffing experience, i know for sure you CANNOT do that. Refs are suppose to stick their choice and not change it. Thats a rule. I even ref little 10 year olds and i cant even do that!

fil10

wooow seriously the ref just did that to please a team. in my league the ref would have been kicked out. thats a terrible call.
"The time you spent not practising, someone out there's becoming better than you"

Vanzman12
New User

carl155 wrote:From reffing experience, i know for sure you CANNOT do that. Refs are suppose to stick their choice and not change it. Thats a rule. I even ref little 10 year olds and i cant even do that!
You are deffinetly wrong by saying a ref must stick to his choice. If he has made a call and realizes that he has messed up he has everyright in the world to change his call, as long as the ball hasn't been restarted. Although this may cause contreversy it is the right decision.

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

Definitely a terrible decision...

Red card? What was the foul commited? Unless the person is the last man, then he can flash the red card...

But giving penalty to the other team? Hmmm.... He should've just thought logically longer..

powell
English Meister

Vanzman12 wrote:
carl155 wrote:From reffing experience, i know for sure you CANNOT do that. Refs are suppose to stick their choice and not change it. Thats a rule. I even ref little 10 year olds and i cant even do that!
You are deffinetly wrong by saying a ref must stick to his choice. If he has made a call and realizes that he has messed up he has everyright in the world to change his call, as long as the ball hasn't been restarted. Although this may cause contreversy it is the right decision.
you say he can change it but if he doesnt see a video replay till after the game he cant disallow the goal then all he can do is put his hand up and say i made a mistake and 9 times out of ten people will say yeh it was a bad desion but atleast he admitted it.

Futbolstud
Veteran Member

hmm i he gave the other team the pen are you sure the ref wasnt trying to just send out a message that he was in charge. for example i heard of this old old really good ref in my area, the coach just wouldn't leave him alone and nagged at all of his calls then finally he pulled up a chair next to coach and when asked what the heck he was doing he simple said, "well i'm trying to see whats so special over here because ovouisly you can see more than i can." so the coach stopped wat he was doing and got the message. Mayb the ref was just stating hey if you think you know what ur doing go ahead write it down sort of to shock and to awww.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Providing play hasn't restarted, a ref can change his mind. I've seen it happen in a Premier League game a few years ago.

It happens to the best of them and providing the correct decision is made, I don't see a problem. According to his book, Collina, the Italian ref had to disallow a goal he'd given. The players were back at the centre ready for a kick-off. He went over to the manager, explained he'd made a mistake and it was accepted

JDTRIXTA

:lol: haha no u cant do that > what a stupid ref he cant just make up the rules as he goes along.