what should wingers do when def double team or mark tight?

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
kloft

what should wingers do when defenders double team or mark tightly?

I am a winger but there always seems to be 2 fullbacks marking me. when I try to move horizontally my center mids and coach gets annoyed because I get out of position. switching flank isn't possible always because the other winger might not want to. if I move up i go offside. I feel very isolated because when i do get open my team is defending like crazy, when the team is attacking there are many defenders and teammates around me. i don't know where to go?

Ahmadinho
Sophomore Member

first of all your center midfielders have no right to be annoyed because they place all over the pitch and if you go towards to middle they should fill your spot on the flank also if your stuck in the situation that you mentioned look for a drop and pass it back to your fullbacks and start the play over again

hope this helps
If your 5 minutes early to practice your
on time, if your on time your late.

kloft

but then who knows when I will get the ball again since I dont even get it much in the first place. when theres 3 to 4 players around, I want the ball into space but then nobody ever passes it into space? and the passing is always messed up i hafto go chasing after lost causes.

for example, should i move into the center more when the ball is on the opposite flank and what should I do if the fullback (on the same flank) is behind me and has the ball?
Last edited by kloft on 20 Nov 2005, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

try to talk to your teammates before the game and tell them which types of passes you like. make runs in the defence's back, drop back for a pass then do a one two. alot of players have this problem. inzaghi or van nistelrooy can be quiet for the whole game and then score a goal in the last minute.

kloft

sorry i just edited it when the new post came from mastero.

should i move into the center more when the ball is on the opposite flank and what should I do if the fullback (on the same flank) is behind me and has the ball?

and also, wingers are seldom quiet unlike Ruud and Inzaghi so it makes it tough when i dont get a lot of the ball?

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

u have a point. if you'r not getting the balls you need then keep trying
take initiative. check back and get the ball, keep making nice runs, make calls, communicate with your teammates.

kloft

should i move into the center more when the ball is on the opposite flank and what should I do if the fullback (on the same flank) is behind me and has the ball?

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

you shouldn't move INTO the center, as much as TOWARDS the center. make sure you're an option if he wants to switch the field. if the fullback comes up behind you with the ball, you have a couple options. you could wait for him to pass it to you, or if he's open and has a lot of momentum, you could let him make an overlap. in this case, you would need to drop back and defend until he gets back. another opption is to do the overlap, but have you go towards the center, and give him a one two option if he wants it.
Hala Galacticos

matt
EF Forum Legend

if you are being marked by two players, don't worry so much. think about it - the other team are afraid of you so much that they need two guys to mark you! plus you are drawing an extra defender away from where he should be. so dont be too hasty to go moving into the centre.

when finding yourself with the ball against two defenders, your immediate reaction should nearly always be to pass as quickly as possible. if this is not possible and you have to dribble, a double cut is effective. a quick stepover, elastico, matthews and 'roll and cut' will nearly always suffice as well. ryan giggs uses these types of moves effectively when he is in these situations. quick feet is the key.

most importantly - dont panic!
Last edited by matt on 10 Dec 2005, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

yea matt is right, by having 2 defenders marking you you can make more space for the other players. they will have more freedom and time to do stuff. Its a little like in basketball if they double team you then they are leaving one player free. When you see someone who needs space you can lure those 2 defenders away from him by going further away from him. but make sure you can still get a pass just in case.

kloft

good point matt but i have read that already in the coaching or training section of Efootball. however, it's different because i play on a narrow pitch. if they double team and then other players get space, theres always other defenders to cover it up should the ball goes to them. believe me, the last thing you'd ever call the opposing defenders is "slow". (noway).

should I make fake runs to lose them instead because i still think i'm quicker?

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

why not? since this problem is important to you then u should try anything. try any solutions that come to your mind. fake runs might work, but your teammates need to be on the same wavelength as you and you need to run quick. use speed to your advantage

Piccadilly

you may not like it but this just means there is one less man to defend the other side of the field, remember, each team has an equal amount of players. if double teaming is the teams style they will be leaving someone open or at least 1v1. as el maestro says with basketball, if you can find the resulting open man, they are done for. even if you arent the star that match you are helping the team effort and you will be a star if you find the open man with the assist.
12-2-1 with 4goals and ten assists

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

if you can see a place to make a fake run, go for it. as long as it looks real to the defense. the important thing is to stay in position to recieve the ball. if you're a legitimate option, you should either a) get a good pass played to you, or b) continue to draw defenders to you, leaving space open elsewhere.
Hala Galacticos

Kew

if u'r big, like me, u can muscle ur way thru.

or, if u'r small, u can squeeze thru small gaps

if u want the ball, then u get open. or dont move, so they stop double teaming u, and then u move again.

if u'r realli not getting any action on the pitch, start talking to them.
"so how r u? enjoying this game? yeah it's pretty hot today, anywyas bye" and run off leaving them behind going "wah?"