Positional Play for a Central Defender/Sweeper

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
rob_06
Sophomore Member

Positional Play for a Central Defender/Sweeper

Post by rob_06 » 21 Aug 2005, 23:35

As the title of this post says, i need some tips on wher i shud be standing as the ball is being crossed in from a wide position, how many yards i shud give myself between me and the rest of the Defence when i am 'sweeping' up behind them. If anybody has any help for me it would be much appreciated, as would any help of improving these weaknesses. Cheers!

<>....RoB....<>

P.S. ANY PLAYER IN PARTICULAR I SHOULD WATCH TO SEE HOW THEY DEAL WITH THESE SORT OF SITUATIONS??

Sweeper5

Post by Sweeper5 » 22 Aug 2005, 01:57

when the ball is being crossed, if you can get to the ball and head it out then go at it, and do the same thing when there are players from the other team that are unmarked going in to head the ball, just go for the ball and don't worry about who you hit as long as your arms aren't in the air or on them the ref won't call a foul. And for how far behind your defense you should be, be far enough back so that if one of your defenders gets beaten and the other team has a breakaway that you can be there to cover for your defenders, if your slow then u should be further back than if u were fast

Shep
Sophomore Member

Post by Shep » 04 Sep 2005, 01:15

When a ball is crossed in a sweeper can be anywhere you can think of the position as on long and narrow area to cover from width to width. The sweeper is a reactionary player. The other team basically controls where you go. You are the last man back and you must be the most patient but you should form the point of a triangle with the other d when you are defending. If you think the attackers are going to get between your players close the gap between you and them if not then just look for other potential plays.

Sweep is the easiest position in the game if you have good tactical awareness that is what is key for you.

jdefoe
Forum groupie

Post by jdefoe » 04 Sep 2005, 01:36

nice post shep, i'm impressed

Shep
Sophomore Member

Post by Shep » 04 Sep 2005, 22:10

Thanks buddy

ratherton
Veteran Member

Re: Positional Play for a Central Defender/Sweeper

Post by ratherton » 22 Nov 2005, 23:10

rob_06 wrote:As the title of this post says, i need some tips on wher i shud be standing as the ball is being crossed in from a wide position, how many yards i shud give myself between me and the rest of the Defence when i am 'sweeping' up behind them. If anybody has any help for me it would be much appreciated, as would any help of improving these weaknesses. Cheers!

<>....RoB....<>

P.S. ANY PLAYER IN PARTICULAR I SHOULD WATCH TO SEE HOW THEY DEAL WITH THESE SORT OF SITUATIONS??
If you are defending a cross, you probably won't be that far behind the other defenders as you'll be quite deep. Depending how the play has gone, I would expect you to be quite central and with no-one to mark.

Look out for any runners not being picked up by your midfield and try to anticipate where the second ball will drop (eg, if the oppostion forward wins the header, where will it go ?)

Are you player as an old fashioned sweeper or just as the spare man of 3 central defenders?

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....