Where does a striker stand?

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
farhan782000
New User

Where does a striker stand?

Post by farhan782000 » 14 Jun 2014, 17:27

Hi guys, so, I just wanted to know the primary position that a striker usually occupies. I know what a striker does and stuff like that but just want to know where is his standing position. I would appreciate if you guys can give me a diagram, but if not it's okay, just tell me where to stand. :mrgreen:

Raiseyourgame
New User

Re: Where does a striker stand?

Post by Raiseyourgame » 08 Dec 2014, 17:19

Hey,farhan!

Often people ask the question how can i score more goals. To find the answer to this question its important to study the best. So in this post i will be covering the positioning aspect of goal scoring. When it comes to scoring goals it is abseloutly critical that you can put yourself in the best position to score. So the person i chose as the best example is Ruud Van Nistelrooy. I chose him becouse he does not have speed, strenght or incredible dribbling skills, this means that Ruud is totally relying on his ability to get into the correct poistion in the box. Below is an excellent video of some of his goals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jEjfYEwNkY

This is what Ruud van Nisterooy says about positoning: Positioning is crucial. The three good positions to take up are in between the two centre-halves, between the right-back and the right centre-half or the left-back and the left centre-half. You then move from there.

Playing of the back of the defender is one of the most important concepts in regards to positioning.If you hang back behind the defender, he has to look over his shoulder to see you. When he’s watching the ball he doesn’t know where you are. Goal number 5 at 0:42 in the Ruud van Nistelrooy video is a great example of this. The defender watches the ball and spots a run coming into the box. Ruud positions himself behind the defender so he does not get marked. The right-back tries to catch up to Ruud, but his postioning is spot on so he puts the ball in the net. Notice that Nistelrooys positining enabled him to become totaly unmarked in the box.

Goal Number 11 is also very intresting. This goal shows Nistelrooys ability to read the game. Notice how Nistelrooy positions himself, he is between the two centre-halves, but he appears to be offside right before the cross comes in. One of the centre backs spots nistelrooy, but decides to play the offside trap on Ruud and does not mark him. Bad decicion, the left back defender who just wants to block the cross does not think about the offside trap. So as he sprints to block the cross, Nistelrooy becomes onside and scores the goal. Goal number 19 and 20 are similar.

Ball watching ties in to the concept of playing behind the back of the defender. The idea is to recognize when the defenders get stuck watching the ball and forgets about marking. When you regognize that the defender has made this mistake quickly find space and exploit the space. Goal number 25 and 43 is a perfect example of ball watching and as you see goals does not come much easier then that.

Sometimes defender get pulled out of position and this makes the back line uneven. You have to recognize this and exploit the space thats left behind. Look at goal number 12. This is an excellent example of a defender getting pulled out of the back line and Nistelrooy exploiting the space in behind. If you are going to do these type of runs pace is an huge advantage, but by staying bearly onside you can often get on a 1v1 with the goalkeeper even if you are slow.

-----------------------------

Common positoning mistakes:

- Not playing of the back of the defender. If the defender can see you and the ball, you just made his job a whole lot easier.

- Not recognizing when the defenders are ball watching and exploiting the new space.

- Not moving, if you are marked. Make zig-zag runs.

- Not recognizing when defenders are pulled out of position and making a run in behind.

Hope this helps :D

klc123
Veteran Member

Re: Where does a striker stand?

Post by klc123 » 02 Jan 2015, 03:47

The role of a striker has evolved quite a lot in recent years. What style of striker you will play as will depend on a few things, such as what your best attributes are, what style of football your team play, and what the oppositions strengths are.

The classical number 9 is the centre forward role. This involves taking up a position normally between the oppositions two centre-backs. As raise your game has said, you want to be playing off the back shoulder of the defender who is marking you. For example if your teams right winger has the ball, you should be on the shoulder of their left centrehalf. Because he will be facing the other way, it means he won't be able to react as quickly if you peel off away from him into space. You will generally spend most of the game with your back to goal, and will predominately be the forward outlet for your team, so having good hold up play is essential for this style of centreforward.

Of course that is just one way to play centreforward. If you watch the likes of Robin Van Persie and Sergio Aguero, they play completely differently for the most part, because their teams have the passing quality to thread the ball in behind the oppositions defence. A trademark RVP move is to peel off one of the centre backs and then make a bursting run between their centre back and their full back towards goal. When timed correctly, it gives your team mates a chance to play the ball in behind the oppositions defence and give you the opportunity for a one on one with the goalkeeper.

If your team is struggling to get the ball forwards, you may also choose to run the wide channels. This involves making a run between their centrehalf and fullback out wide to give your teammates in wide positions a chance to play the ball forwards up the wing. While you're not likely to score making these kind of runs, they can help your team get the ball forwards and generate goal scoring chances for your team mates, especially if you are adept at crossing the ball yourself.

Finally we come to the false 9 role. This is one that is becoming more and more popular with top teams, and is characterised as a forward who often drops deeper into a number 10 position to get involved in build up play with the midfield. This is typical of players like Lionel Messi. It essentially means you double up as a midfield player to help retain the ball, but also represent a goal scoring threat who is free to drive into attacking positions when there is space to do so.

Like I said, what style of play you use depends on your teams style and what your best attributes are. A tall strong player will be well suited to playing as the target man, whereas a quick player will be excellent at making runs in behind defenders to cause problems. The best solution is to probably mix as many of these playing styles together to make yourself a more well rounded centreforward who benefits your team as much as possible. Also take into account your teams formation. If you are playing with a strike partner, communicate with him, he can be the targetman outlet when you are dropping deeper or making runs in behind the defence and visa-versa.

An important thing to note is that if you are a lone striker, you shouldn't drop deeper unless your team plays with advanced wingers. This is because without wingers who can make runs behind the defence, your team relies upon you as the attacking outlet. This is what in my opinion caused Barcelona so many issues over the last few seasons. When they lacked quality wingers due to injuries and poor form, having Messi dropping deep resulted in them not having any attacking threat and being completely toothless against defensive teams. This was rectified with the purchase of neymar and suarez, and not they are scoring goals much more freely again.

Remember this is just for when your team have the ball, it's a completely different game when the opposition has the ball, as you should probably drop deeper to close down players or at least partially block their passing options.