Striker .

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
Aiyik
New User

Striker .

Post by Aiyik » 20 Jan 2013, 12:02

I'm thinking to play as a Striker these days . I just love scoring and I can score . As I recall pass , shoot , tackle , dribble and control is only the football basics . I have all those basics and I think I'm gonna choose to play as a striker . A Robin Van Persie style of Striker . Give me an opinion . Will I succeed if playing as a Striker ? Striker has always been my favourite position . I play as a Midfielder just because my team doesn't have a playmaker . Opinion please :)

mangbawi
New User

Re: Striker .

Post by mangbawi » 21 Feb 2013, 11:45

I am known as the stretegy master in my hometown And I have won 3 cups with my team according to me You can be more successful if you have the ability to score goals and playmaker doesn't have to be a midfielder there are many types of playmaker Like Trequartista(Playmaker in Attcking midfield) and regista(playmaker in forward) You can be a regista with a goal scorerer like lionel Messi

mangbawi
New User

Post by mangbawi » 21 Feb 2013, 11:47

I am known as the stretegy master in my hometown And I have won 3 cups with my team according to me You can be more successful if you have the ability to score goals and playmaker doesn't have to be a midfielder there are many types of playmaker Like Trequartista(Playmaker in Attcking midfield) and regista(playmaker in forward) You can be a regista with a goal scorerer like lionel Messi

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 11 Apr 2013, 01:02

Play in what position you want to play in.
You will enjoy your football much more this way, and the more you enjoy it, the more likely you are to go out and practice on your own accord and improve.

I play as a striker, and got offered a contract with my local team Luton Town, who are semi-pro, so I'd like to think I know a bit.In terms of actual tips for being a striker, it can be quite complicated depending on what level you play and what style of play your team decide to use. I'll start with the essentials.

Biggest thing with any position is your control. It's stressed a lot, and this is for good reason. You can have the best shooting ability on the pitch, but if you cannot get receive the ball and get it under control, you cannot shoot. To practice this, my favourite drill is to just throw the ball in the air and then control it in one touch. As you improve you can make it harder by throwing/kicking the ball higher, and doing it in a restricted area, such as a 5 metre square, which you must stay in. Once you've mastered that you can implement a control and turn into it, and then a control/turn touch and then shot on goal. It's not practiced enough as it is such a basic and easy drill, but you can score a lot of goals by being able to control and turn to goal in one touch, and finish with the next. You should also practice kick-ups, to improve your foot-eye co-ordination. This will improve all aspects of your game.

Next thing is shooting. As a striker, your primary job in the team is to score. If you cannot shoot well then you will never be a great striker. This all comes down to technique. Leg strength is something that will come as you become an adult, and begin strength training. You can be the strongest player in your country, but poor technique will cause you to have an average shot at best. There are various guides dotted around this forum.
In terms of power and accuracy, I always felt accuracy is over stressed and power under stressed. Sure you need to be accurate enough to hit the target, but I used to miss a lot of chances because I wouldn't put enough power into my shots, especially during one on ones with the keeper. This led to them often getting saved, regardless of the fact that they were all going straight to the corners. As soon as I started using more power, I started to score a lot more, as the keeper had no time to react, and often even if I was inaccurate, the goalkeeper would often fail to deal with the power.

Next is physical ability. This is what I meant by it depending on what style your team plays. I remember playing in a horrible team that would always lump the ball forwards, in 4-4-2. Yeah, standard English side with no tactics. But it worked, I was the speedy striker who could run onto loose balls and dribble past players, my strike partner was older, stronger and bigger, and although less mobile, could bully players off the ball as our team mates lumped it to him. Of course having speed and strength is always a bonus, but not always possible if you're quite light like I am. Best advice I can give is to play to your advantages.

Best of luck.

heiky0711

Post by heiky0711 » 12 Apr 2013, 18:52

Hello Aiyik,

Firstly thank you for this post. I highly encourage to pursue what you want to be that is being a striker through practice and matches. But just a word of caution, if you're playing for a proper football club, be prepare to sacrifice your wants over the manager's or coach's decision. For example, if your football coach ask you to play in the midfield, just take it, literally. Personally I have seen this myself and on professional football players like for example, Wayne Rooney.

But, it could work for certain players where they get to play their favorite position. So, this is not to discourage you rather reflecting the fact that in reality the competition for places is very high. John O Shea, former Man United player used to say something like I'll play anywhere as long as I'm in the first team.

Hope that helps and all the best :)

My Latest Football Vlog: https://youtu.be/AAmtqY6kjFM
Subscribe my YT channel: http://bit.do/theheiky11
My blog http://soccer-tricks.blogspot.com