How do you play your position

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
soccerchic_06
Veteran Member

Post by soccerchic_06 » 11 Mar 2005, 12:56

oh, okay! Umm ill see if i can do that w/ our soccer team! oh, and do any of ya'll know what the weave is, cause its very effective for us!

Allstarsoccer
Sophomore Member

Hi

Post by Allstarsoccer » 17 Mar 2005, 07:02

Hey people,
No matter what postition you play you have to play offense and defense. Playing your position basically means that you are able to move around while still being able to cover your area. You never want to stay in one place. Always move around and endurance work outs are very helpful with this. For example, For defense you can overlap your halfback and make a play, but in the end you need to eventually be able to get back and coveryour position. If you are on a really good team where everybody can play all positions then you can rotate and when you go up they stay and cover. But basically you have to be able to cover your area. Here is a tip, for defense, if you are the last one between you and the goal/goalie, you have to delay the offensive player on the other team. This'll hopefully give your players enough time to get back and help you on defense. Hopefully i helped a little....................Goodluck,
Allstar

Post by Guest » 30 Mar 2005, 02:08

Can anyone tell me what makes like a pro midfielder. Like the textbook midfielder, the best way you can play the position

Post by Guest » 30 Mar 2005, 11:04

i used to play striker and left wing, but i've been converted to a left back for my new team. I'm pretty comfortable on the left as i'm left footed, but i can feel pretty lost sometimes because i'm not tactically inclined nor prepared for this left back position. should i overlap? when should i overlap? wat shld be my priorities? my main job scope? who should be my main concern? the opposing striker or right winger? i've got so many qns abt my positions i juz dunno where to start, i hope u guys can help me out with your experiences.. thanks!

stonekoh
New User

Post by stonekoh » 30 Mar 2005, 11:07

sorry, tat was me above.

Gunner_d14

Post by Gunner_d14 » 31 Mar 2005, 03:26

I'm a mid..center wing i play anywhere..i like short passes and darting runs..defensively not that good but i can hold my own and be a nuisance. I like switching the play alot, slowing and quickening the play of the game...then the oh so familiar surprise shot from the 18 yard
-The Beloved One-

Gunner_d14

Post by Gunner_d14 » 31 Mar 2005, 03:31

Anonymous wrote:i used to play striker and left wing, but i've been converted to a left back for my new team. I'm pretty comfortable on the left as i'm left footed, but i can feel pretty lost sometimes because i'm not tactically inclined nor prepared for this left back position. should i overlap? when should i overlap? wat shld be my priorities? my main job scope? who should be my main concern? the opposing striker or right winger? i've got so many qns abt my positions i juz dunno where to start, i hope u guys can help me out with your experiences.. thanks!
I'm not a defender but i say you should always try to help out by running up that wing into an attack position. The right winger should be ur priority but you should talk with the defender alongside you to let him know who to cover..the last thing you want is confusion in the back line.
-The Beloved One-

dooglas
Veteran Member

Post by dooglas » 31 Mar 2005, 04:12

yea as a forward i like to bike on my end of the field and score...

haha jk...i like to make quick turns on my runs to catch the defence off guard
Wow, he just megged three people, maradonas around the last defender, and missed the shot, then not five minutes later a guy on the other team shoots when he gets the ball and scores...

who would you rather be?

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

Post by fir_nev » 31 Mar 2005, 08:17

Anonymous wrote:i used to play striker and left wing, but i've been converted to a left back for my new team. I'm pretty comfortable on the left as i'm left footed, but i can feel pretty lost sometimes because i'm not tactically inclined nor prepared for this left back position. should i overlap? when should i overlap? wat shld be my priorities? my main job scope? who should be my main concern? the opposing striker or right winger? i've got so many qns abt my positions i juz dunno where to start, i hope u guys can help me out with your experiences.. thanks!
When U see Ur left winger unable to dribble forward further or has gotten himself stuck, that's when U move in for the overlap or decoy. Just give him a space of 15m or further and observe his control on the ball.

1) If he starts shielding, time to run to make Urself a decoy or passing option.

2) If he is trying to take on a man but ain't progress fast enough, a decoy run is good. But expect the ball to come to U once U've overlapped him.

I've made alot of overlapping myself that people dubbed me 'G. Neville' in school. Just what I wanted.

But basically, start running for the overlap when U think Ur winger will meet a 'dead-end' bringing the ball forward.

Allstarsoccer
Sophomore Member

HEY!

Post by Allstarsoccer » 01 Apr 2005, 05:05

Hey stonekoh,
You wanta learn how to play the postition and when to attack. If you are playing that left back you have to be able to communicate with your other defensive players not only for them to cover for you, but also for you toknow you u r marking. If you want to do an over lapping run and attack with the ball that's good, but you have to be able to cover your position. If you have a good team they'll know when to drop and help cover your position, but if your team isn't at that level yet you might want to use your voice and tell them to get back for you. Take me for instance, I love to play forward and halfback, because I feel like am helping with the attack, but whe I went to right back I was so frustrated with the position changethat I only stayed bck and never went up. When I finally figured out that I can also help the offense I made sure I got the ball by calling(MOSTLY YELLING) for the ball. I needed to get back and help the team not only in defending, but also in attacking.........................Goodluck,

Allstar

hackr17

Post by hackr17 » 03 Apr 2005, 01:26

i play centre back and i guess i'm more of a attacking defender.
i'm small so i try to use a lot of my speed rather than strength.
3-17-4

Pokerized

Post by Pokerized » 13 Nov 2006, 22:04

I play sweeper, and I vary my style a lot. Against teams that try lots of through balls I just wait behind my defense for the balls and gather them up. Against teams that try to play close passing I get way up and mark a man. At the end of the season my coach said he wanted me to play even father up, but it was kind of stupid since there were only two games left and it really didn't do anything.
"Some people believe that football is a matter of life and death; I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."
-Bill Shankly

G-Unit-Freestyler

Post by G-Unit-Freestyler » 14 Nov 2006, 15:27

Out and Out striker. Most of the time wait for the long balls from the defence and outpace the defence.

Rulezzz
Veteran Member

Post by Rulezzz » 27 Dec 2006, 09:55

I currently play right back at the moment, as im new to the position and my stamina isnt that good, i dont overlap very often really. As my team really isnt that good wen i do overlap and my right winger loses it, our defence will get caught out(because noone covers me except our slow centre back), which is another reason why i dont overlap. At the moment im focusing on improving my stamina/pace and all my defensive attributes, I dont worry about overlapping anymore, cos im aspiring to move to play centre back one day anyway, in which i wont need to overlap.

milanese
Veteran Member

Post by milanese » 29 Dec 2006, 21:41

I play center-back. Basically you try to stop attack's before they start. When the opposing team clears the ball you head it back in toward a team mate. When they have possesion and are moving upfield you just keep you're shape at the back and be aware of you're marking assignments. Then if they try to pass it in to a forward you can be on his back and stop him from turning, or if possible, win the ball. You always have to be ready for through balls aswell and you have to anticipate them coming so you don't get beat by the forwards. And when you have possesion try to find a open man in the middle or switch the field. If there's nothing there, send a long ball into a forward or winger.