not a dirty player

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
dasfootball90

Yesterday during my football game, a defender step on my foot. I know he did it with intention because couple plays before this incident my knee caught his face when he got trip by one of my teammates. I try to pick him and tell him,"my bad", but I guess he was pissed. So anyway, after he step on my foot, my teammates cleared the ball out because I was holding my foot. My big toe was swollen; His team went for a throw in and I was behind the defender who step on my feet. I pushed him from behind, and he landed on his face. He yelled and started to hold his head. I felt like complete sh*t, doing this becuase I'm not a dirty player. The referee issued me with a yellow card which I more than certainly deserved. I didn't argue or complain about the foul. Our team ended up winning that game, but he didn't shake my hand. I'm currently a freshmen in high school and that kid was at least a year or two older then me. I want to know if I was wrong to hit him back?

klc123
Veteran Member

One thing in football is that if you let abusive players walk over you, they will continue to do so until you make a stand.

The only thing you done wrong, was make it obvious for the referee to see. You need to be much more cynical.

I'm not even going to try deny it, when I'm playing against dirty players, I purposely upset their game. Just little things like pulling their shirt when they go to make a run off the ball and no one can see, or if someone makes a run that my team mate is struggling to track, I'll "conveniently" step in front of them and let them run into me to stop them. As long as the referee or lines men don't see it, its never happened.

I do those things and I wouldn't consider myself a dirty player, I'm just used to receiving the same treatment and worse. I would never do something that could injure or seriously harm someone however.

shahensha
Veteran Member

its like how they say in me motherland, "answer bricks with stones"............which is completely opposite of "turn the other cheek"

dasfootball90

thanks for the advice klc123 and shahensha

mint
EF Drug Baron

Just make yourself look like a complete psycho before the game that will scare them :lol: :lol:
i was made to ignite

Canadianfooty
Sophomore Member

Others will say it was dirty, others wont. Given the situation you handled it good but obviously could have done better and not be booked. I'm a referee so I understand where the line of what to get away with is, and when the ref almost always has his back turned.
I'm not advising you to actually follow out these... When the ref is setting up a wall or dealing with an offside, you can mark up to him, and when the ref is jogging to position or talking to the player on the ball, you can give the player a few wacks in the shin or back of the leg.
On a throw in situation, instead of pushing him from behind, stand on his heel, try to hook his shoelace with your studs and watch him fall when he tries to get going. (honestly my favorite trick, and the ref should never book you for a freak accident like catching the loop of somebodies shoe lace on your stud)

desire10
Veteran Member

Canadianfooty wrote:Others will say it was dirty, others wont. Given the situation you handled it good but obviously could have done better and not be booked. I'm a referee so I understand where the line of what to get away with is, and when the ref almost always has his back turned.
I'm not advising you to actually follow out these... When the ref is setting up a wall or dealing with an offside, you can mark up to him, and when the ref is jogging to position or talking to the player on the ball, you can give the player a few wacks in the shin or back of the leg.
On a throw in situation, instead of pushing him from behind, stand on his heel, try to hook his shoelace with your studs and watch him fall when he tries to get going. (honestly my favorite trick, and the ref should never book you for a freak accident like catching the loop of somebodies shoe lace on your stud)
Sly, but I doubt it'll work very good as a lot of boots have lace covers etc... The kick in the shins sounds a bit brutal though!
Everything you need, is already inside.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Totally understand your disappointment with yourself dude, and also your reaction initially. We've all been there, with the assh**e player that gets under your skin. What you will learn from experiencing plenty of 'their kind', though, is that reacting how you did only gives them what they want. Cliche, but true. And despite how much you really might want to floor the guy, you can't even think about what he's doing. At all. Just concentrate on playing your game. You already know you're better than he is. He wouldn't be playing the tough card if that wasn't really his only aptitude. You don't see Messi busying himself thugging guys around. Too busy introducing ball to back of net.

Consider the Black Mamba: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cZTV0wCId0

scottS4
Veteran Member

I agree with Rome leader. It was a temporary moment of weakness and you'll do better next time. I did something similar a few seasons ago and was lucky not to get sent off.