How to play well with negative players

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
p793
Veteran Member

How to play well with negative players

Post by p793 » 29 Apr 2011, 12:44

I've never really had this problem before and i've been playing piss poor as a consequence, there is a guy called ben who has just came back from suspension and has came back into my team, he is pretty intimidating, nobody on our team likes him, he's always starting fights but he's fairly decent footballing wise. Whilst he was suspended I played along side one of my best friends and we worked really well together, between us, we scored 28 goals in 11 games. However my best mate got injured and now this d**head has came into the first team.

Last night I played so badly it was actually embarrising, I could barely sleep last night thinking about all the things I did badly. I normally have compusure, calmness on the ball, keep possesion if theres nothing on..etc etc. However last night ben shouted at me for everyhing I did, and I played poorly for the rest of the game. If I took on a man and crossed it in, he shouts "PASS IT EARLY FOR fu**s SAKE" even when he's marked and in a sh*tty position. Another example is I beat the off side trap, ran with the ball forward, got into a good position, was about to shoot, when the defender behind me knocks my foot and trips me up, no penalty was given, but as it happened, he screams "PASS FOR fu**s SAKE, WHAT THE fu**s WRONG WITH YOU" he shouted this as he was about 10 yards behind me, a defender running in with him, and he didnt even say anything untill once I was tripped and on the floor. Then after theese two events, I felt like sh*t, I had no confidence in myself, when the ball came to me instead of taking it down, and doing something great, I jut hoofed the ball to get rid of it, I didn't want it anywhere near me incase ben screamed at me once again. Whatever I did, he opposed, and screamed saying the opposite thing, even when a winger on my team cut inside and hit the bar, he gives him a look like "wtf are you doing"
Since he came back into the team we have lost nearly ever single game, before he was in the team, we won nearly every game. To top it off people seem to listen to him, as he reckons he knows everything.

What i'm asking, how can I ignore theese types of players and just play well. When he's in the team i'm aprehesive to do anything, my confidence is fu**ed. Even the managers are like "Cmon, what are you playing at" because they know I can play so so much better. I played so fu**ing badly when he was in the team I felt like crying when I got home, because I was one of the worst on the pitch because he put all this doubt in my head and I couldnt do things which makes me one of the best players in out league, I was just too scared, it sounds gay but when people act like that, it's hard to become motivated. Can anyone give me any advice?

eddy192837
Veteran Member

Post by eddy192837 » 29 Apr 2011, 13:10

Tell him to STFU alreadyy and start playing football.. Try ignoring him, as time goes on you will learn to completely ignore him... Thats basically all you gotta do, oh and believe in yourself. If you dont believe in yourself, nobody will.. sh*t alsoo happens sometimes, dont put your head down.. Just continue to play your game cuz even the best like Messi mess up

Juicygriot17

Post by Juicygriot17 » 29 Apr 2011, 14:35

Oh man i know this situation sooo well. Just don't listen to him, and if it gets worse, go take it up with him (not sayin fight but tell him to screw himself), because even though he's yelling he's never right. Or you could talk to the coaches....

Personally i'd go up to him and tell him to shut the fu** up...

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 29 Apr 2011, 14:46

There really is nothing worse than playing with someone who moans.

I would like to be able to say ignore it, but i'm pretty sure everyone will agree that no matter how hard you try, it is impossible to block these type of people out and they will affect your performance and the teams performance negatively.

The best advice I would give is to get everyone on your team to gang up on him. Give him a taste of his own medicine. I know this sounds immature but in my team a while back we had the same sort of situation, where other players like myself and my friends always encouraged each other and said things like "good effort" or "unlucky" when something went wrong, and a particular player just moaned at everything and everyone.

What I started doing was ignoring him completely. Like if he was open for an easy pass, I would play it to someone else, when he made a forward run, I wouldn't even consider playing him through, when he had the ball, I didn't run into space and call for the ball, just left him stranded to make a mistake. As soon as I started doing it, and it was pretty obvious what I was doing, all of my team mates started doing it as well, so we were effectively playing with 10 men working together with a hanger on who wasn't involved in the game and just kept making mistakes with no one to pass to whenever he had the ball.

This sounds like something really pathetic and immature to do, but it only took about 30 minutes of this for the player to be subbed by our manager, and the second he was off the pitch the whole team returned to normal and we played well to win the game. It sent a strong message to the manager and also to the player, and to this day he hasn't moaned since, so imo doing that for 30 minutes was more beneficial to the whole team in the long run than it was negative for those 30 minutes.

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 29 Apr 2011, 16:01

Thanks for the advice guys. It's reassuring to know i'm not the only person that has been in this situation. I agree with KLC it's so hard to ignore it because you get put under so much more pressure, if you mess up at all you know you're gunna get a bollocking off him, he doesn't encourage anyone to do anything on the ball and then complains when people lose their compusure and don't play their best. I'll just try and ignore the dude for the remainder of the season, but i'm just not enjoying my football at all since he has came back into the team, as I constantly feel like I have to prove myself to him, and when he starts shouting I just don't feel like playing football at all, I don't have the drive to think "Ill prove him wrong" because whatever I do he seems to make me feel like sh*t. I'm gunna leave at the end of the season anyway and join an adults team at a higher standard. Thanks for the advice guys :)

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 29 Apr 2011, 20:04

Of course you could always moan back at him. Often better more relaxed players find it hard to find their voice when someone is telling them they are doing something wrong, if you stand up to him he might be shocked or even taken back. Players that moan are always players that are lacking in their own game, so they belittle others to try and make themselves feel better, if you tell him that, and tell him to stop moaning at people because he is the sh*t player in front of your team, you will kick him back into his place.

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 29 Apr 2011, 22:47

Hmm, i'm not really that sort of player to start saying stuff back, plus if I did he would probably start on me for even questioning his "ability". That's the kind of guy he is. I just cba with him, i'll let him be a dick and try to ignore it as much as I can and just try to think things like "he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about" and we will compare lifestyles in 10 years time. :D

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 30 Apr 2011, 03:04

i agree with everyone here. Every little mistake he makes start yelling at him for it, say the same things he does, chances are he will just bitch at you when you yell at him and that my friend is a hypocrit. I hate them.

G_ucc_i

Post by G_ucc_i » 30 Apr 2011, 09:12

Ye I got someone who does this to man,
Usually he just singles out every little mistake I make, But what I laugh about is how he don't know I know that he only picks at me because his trying to cover up his own mistakes. faggot

If i wanted to I could pick at him as well, Its not good for the mind when you need to focus on the game.

If when he picks at you and puts you down makes you loose focus, then chances are your not going to be at your game which will cause you to do more mistakes then you got a never ending circle my friend. what you need to do is GET INTO THE ZONE