MENTORS

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
madridfc
Veteran Member

have any of you ever had or have a mentor whether in soccer or not, like a coach, teacher, or friend? i've got one in mind whos absolutely amazing that i'll probably talk about later, but i'd really like to hear from yall too. like someone who taught you a valuable lesson or helped you in soccer, etc? looking forward to your responses.
olé

"I wouldn't say i was the best manager in the business, i was in the top one."

captain_mostafa

To tell u the truth. I have teached my self how to play soccer, i got books and read them, i went on internt sites, watched a lot of videoclips for soccer, watched a lot of soccer game. so basiccaly i teached my self all my sckills. only when i play against big peple somtimes only one player he is the one who tells me my muistaks when were r playing in the game, and after it so he could tell me my overall playing. Also a player told me once if u want to become a proffsional soccer player u got to not have the word jelous in ur dictinoray, u just got to work harder to become better. Also i learened from my own experience, that u have to have a lot of patience and never give up. My dad always tells me pracitce get tired agshusted, and hurt today, but later on u will fell better and u will know tthat these tough days made u become what u are. I hope i answered ur question right :lol:

madridfc
Veteran Member

yeah you did. sounds like you've really put a lot of individual time into soccer to make yourself the best u can be. keep it up!
olé

jdefoe
Forum groupie

ya, I've had local coaches give me some pretty good advice. The main one happens to know plenty of pro's and played pro himself. He told me to never give up, and I take that to heart until this day.

captain_mostafa

Thanks madrifc :wink:

soccerchic_06
Veteran Member

i ahve some!! there is the one coach who i have now! this is how good he was. Okay, we were plpaying this team that was really good, or maybe we were really bad...-lol. nayways, in the first half we were down by 3. i was center mid and making a bunch of the plays because most of the team had given up by now. This was rec by the way. Any ways, during halftime he just kind of got us powered up and fired yp and everything. So in the first 5 minutes, i proved it by scoring a goal!! then i assisted another one with 15 minutes left. the rest of the time, most evry1 was playing around, but i belived we could win!!!! and i wanted to win. each we had scored i came dashing back screaming, 2 more left, 1 more left... then finnaly the ref yells 45 seconds ladies. i made up my mind right then and there, we were gonna win!!!!! so i passed the ball to one of my friends and she scores. we ended up tieing an undefeated team-all thanx to that awesome coach. oh and by the way, that was the first time he had ever coached our team, because our other coach clled him because he ws gone!!! inspiring huh?? :D

madridfc
Veteran Member

wow! thats a really cool story! i wish i could do that to my teammates, like make them excited (and me as well). any ideas? what did your coach do?
olé

FCBarcelona
Veteran Member

I never looked up to people around me, I just wanted to WIN and reach the maximum of my ability. I started playing at a very young age ( around 4 ) and could never stop. I looked up to Ronaldo as he is the definition of a striker, and my game is build like his.

soccerchic_06
Veteran Member

well, our team was really spoiled i guess u could say. All during practice they wold be talking instead of foccusing on the game and stuff. also my coach would put them in the wrong positions that they werent good at. So somehow my the guy who was inspirational (david) righted the people i the position they would play. He also told them to stop whinning and that we could win this game and that we were ONLY down by 3. its also this kindof air about him that gets u fired up and makes u believe, because of how he holds himself and the team. Thats pretty much all i can say right now, but hes our oach this season and i know were are gonna have something inspirational happened based on the sucky quality of our team compared to the good of the other team. Also, when i was on U16, we would play 18 and up year olds, and end up winning, when most evry1 on the team was 14 or 13. :D

soccerchic_06
Veteran Member

anybody else have mentors???

soccer11
Admin

I do have someone i looked up to. He was my coach a few years ago, but i hated him. He never did anything the way i wanted ( i was a pretty undiciplined player for a few years of my career) He always played some style that i hated, but when he finally changed his philosiphy, he put me back on defense, which i have no defensive skill whatsoever. As i look back now, i see that he's taught me almost everything i know, from kicking a ball harder to slide tackling more effectivly. I havnt seen him in a while but he has influenced the way i play, and i belive i play the way i play because of him.

madridfc
Veteran Member

cool story soccer11!

i said i'd write about my mentor, so here goes:

Well, her name is Sue and i actually did a speech on her in english class last semester about her being a hero. She was my club coach last spring and thats when i got to know her. One time i saw her in the winter or something training individually with another older player and she said i should come and play with them. So now i train with sue in the winter and spring before club starts, it has really helped me. And shes just so cool too! shes really nice and when i didn't make ODP last year she was the perfect person to talk to. she likes to check in with me and see how ODP try outs are going right now and shes jsut so much fun to be around. shes a great coach too. she was offered a job at a D1 college in my town and was a really good player too. she played at this same college and was all american too in college and tried out for a WUSA team or whatever. she mentioned some of this to me so i googled her and came up with some really cool stuff. she was nominated for this women's college athlete of the year and things like that. anyway, the point is shes a really good role model. sometimes i just like to talk to her about soccer, or anything really, cuz shes just such an awesome person. like one time i was on my way somewhere so i figured i'd just stop by her house and say hi, and we chatted for a bit. this must be really boring for you to read, if you're even reading it, but whatever, sues the best.

later
olé

jdefoe
Forum groupie

odp is a funnel, some great players always get missed.

madridfc
Veteran Member

hey thanks jdefoe! :D

i think it all depends on the coaches though. any team you try out for will not necessarily have the 18 best players chosen
olé

soccerchic_06
Veteran Member

true that, madrific!!! :D