Should this be a goal?

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Post by Croatianblood1 » 13 Sep 2010, 21:22

Brown I respect your views and I would actually like to ask you about your opinion about the keeper making the initial save on the PK shootout.

How should the ref judge when the save has been made? What I mean is, if the keeper makes contact with the ball, would you award a goal if it deflects off the keeper and goes in?

Also, if the keeper stops the shot yet it continues to roll over the line or if the keeper accidentally hits it in the net after making the save, should it be a goal?

I'm just interested in your thoughts on this.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 13 Sep 2010, 22:16

I think in a PK shootout if the keeper makes contact with the ball and the ball travels away from the goal it should count as a save. So a deflection would still be a goal and a ball rolling in that didn't travel away from the goal would count. As far as the keeper hitting it in it'd depend on the situation. If the ball doesn't travel away from the goal and the keeper hits it in I'd say its a goal, and not if it does (even though I find it hard to see that happen).

Penalty shootouts are high emotion and the keeper has the most weight on his shoulders so I don't think worrying about backspin on a ball should be another thing they should worry about.

So in short I think if the keeper keeps the ball out of the net (obviously) or directs the ball away from the net in his initial save then it should be a save.

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 13 Sep 2010, 22:21

Why would they make it easier on the keeper? Should he really only have to think about hitting it once i would count this as a deflection goal simply because it didn't cross instantly off his hands into the goal doesn't discount it. Most keepers learn from an early age until the ball is out of the area or until it's in your hands safe it's not dead. I personally believe that should hold true here.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 13 Sep 2010, 22:25

nick117 wrote:Why would they make it easier on the keeper? Should he really only have to think about hitting it once i would count this as a deflection goal simply because it didn't cross instantly off his hands into the goal doesn't discount it. Most keepers learn from an early age until the ball is out of the area or until it's in your hands safe it's not dead. I personally believe that should hold true here.
and thats your opinion and all good.

I've never been a keeper or in a (real) penalty shootout but from an outsiders prospective I can see how a keeper can make contact and see the ball moving away from him/herself and react accordingly.

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 13 Sep 2010, 22:27

Alright well to end this lets call sepp blatter someone have him on speed dial? :D

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 13 Sep 2010, 22:46

nick117 wrote:Alright well to end this lets call sepp blatter someone have him on speed dial? :D
I shall send his official Twitter account a message.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 15 Sep 2010, 09:59

So in short I think if the keeper keeps the ball out of the net (obviously) or directs the ball away from the net in his initial save then it should be a save

If you wanna take the rules so word for word and quote them all in here, in spite of you being the one that needs to learn them, then I think its if the ball crosses the line or not.. not if it touches the net?.... Geez this discussion is ridiculous anyway.. :?: :idea: :arrow: :?
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 15 Sep 2010, 22:33

Net is commonly used interchangeably (at least with every crowd I've ever encountered) with goal, it doesn't literally mean I'm saying the ball should hit the net itself. Thanks for trying to be a smart ass but how about next time save yourself the trouble.

and I'll say it again since you don't seem to understand, I know the rules, doesn't mean I have to like the rule.