What Is Your Greatest Eleven?

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
klc123
Veteran Member

What Is Your Greatest Eleven?

Post by klc123 » 03 Sep 2010, 21:42

I searched around and I couldn't find a thread where people post their best ever "dream team" of players from all time periods.

So state the formation and players, and try and explain your choices and reasoning :)

Formation: 4-2-3-1
Standard back four, with two holding midfield players sitting in front of the defence. In front of that again would be the no. 10 Trequartista, and either side of him attacking wingers. Finally up top would be the number 9, centre forward.

Banks
Cafu, Maldini, Baresi, Roberto Carlos.
Roy Keane, Beckenbauer.
George Best, Maradona, Ronaldinho.
Ronaldo de lima.

Goalkeeper is Englands best ever keeper, and one of the worlds greatest.

Back four are all arguably the best in their position in history, with the exception of Roberto Carlos, but I choose him as he is exceptional at getting forwards.

Roy Keane is one of the hardest players to play the game in my opinion, and would put everything on the line to ensure a win for the team, and Beckenbauer was the best player in the world when at his best and even though he played as a holding midfielder, his overall ability to do everything meant he was often better at attacking than many of the forwards he played with or against.

Best had every quality a winger needed and more, as well as an eye for goal. Ronaldinho is just unstoppable when on form from the left hand side as we have seen against Real Madrid when he ran the show.
Maradona, as no. 10, Do I need to explain this? Imo the best play maker in history.

Ronaldo bagged goals when played as a no. 9 no matter who he played with, and no matter who it was against. Have him getting service from two of the most gifted wingers the game has ever seen and arguably the greatest player in history as trequartista, and it just spells disaster for any defence.

Beckenbauer as captain, was always calm and composed and a fantastic leader who lead by example.

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Post by pickyourheadup » 03 Sep 2010, 21:56

Awesome stuff klc. My dream team would be pretty much the same as yours, except I'd put Zidane in because of his vision and command over the field.
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 03 Sep 2010, 21:59

I would swap best for messi, although I love best and his personallity too, Messi is just better, in my opinion.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 03 Sep 2010, 22:08

Pick your head up, who would you swap Zidane for?

This is one of the things I couldn't decide on, either play Zidane out of position, or drop Maradona, neither seemed like particularly brilliant options.

I also couldn't really decide on the best Centre Forward, Ronaldo seems the most logical choice, but Cruyff, Van Basten and even Pele would fit into that role.

p793, It's very easy to say Messi, but I honestly think Best was a more rounded player. He was a better crosser/passer of the ball in my opinion, and he was two footed. He was also probably faster than Messi and could certainly head the ball better. Not taking anything away from Messi, because he is superb, but I think having Best instead adds another element to the attacking play, because then you have more of an option to cross the ball straight to the centre forward, as Best was more of a "traditional" winger as well.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 03 Sep 2010, 22:27

Zidane goes for Dinho, IMO. I just think he was more complete Ronaldinho had the flash, but Zidane was no nonsense. Both got the job done virtually equally well, I just think it's down to preference.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 03 Sep 2010, 22:34

G. Best produced magical moments but look how many messi produces, he always can make something of nothing, he will have a better goal scoring record if he continues at his current rate, although messi doesnt cross the ball like a traditional winger does, he does give the cf something to feed on, with through balls and cheeky chips.
Messi is young too.
I'm sure if Best was still alive he would have something to say about lionel. He compared ronaldo to himself and we all know how much better messi is in comparrison to cristiano. I think he would probably admit messi is better, or can be, like pele did with best.
On the other hand Besty was playing on much worse surfaces in times of "the chopper" harris (sp) and tackles from behind were still legitamate.

I also think messi makes more of an impact on a game, but I will never know as there isnt full game footage of g best every game like there is of messi. but from what my family tells me.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 03 Sep 2010, 22:45

I look at it this way. There have been two massive changes since when Best played and Messi played.

1. The game is less physical. This works in Messi's advantage, I'm not saying Messi is a diver by any accord, but he would get ripped to pieces if he played against the same defenders Best went toe to toe with.

2. The game is more tactical. Messi plays a completely different role in a game to Best. Messi starts on the wing, but more than often moves around the pitch to positions such as play maker in the centre behind the Centre Forward, or often becomes the Centre Forward himself. In Bests days, there was no such tactical decisions going on. Every Goal Best scored, he scored whilst playing as a true winger. That is one of the things that tops it for me.

Overall, Best played against harder defenders from a position that was much harder to score from, in a league that was exceptionally hard to score in.

But Goals don't tell you everything. There is footage of whole games that Best played, and if you are going to watch one game, I would watch the 1968 european cup final against benfica. Best pretty much destroyed what was the best team in europe at the time on his own. I don't know about you, but I've never seen Messi perform like that in one game.

The problem now a days is, we are constantly over loaded with information from the media, and youtube showing us the best parts of a players season. Yes Messi comes out with some absolute magical moments, and yes every season, he creates a lot of them. But when you watch George Best in his prime, he was the best player in the world every single minute he was on the pitch, and would come up with a compilation of pure class, every game.

Yeah I suppose Rome, but for me, Ronaldinho is something special, that magic, it's just something never seen before.