defensive duties as a winger help!!!!

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
dasfootball90

defensive duties as a winger help!!!!

Post by dasfootball90 » 30 Aug 2010, 23:09

I play right midefield and sometimes and right wing when playing a 4-4-3. My coach said that there is a gap between me (Right Mid) and the Right back. I don't really understand my defensive duties because I usually attack very aggresive because my pace and techinal skills. What are the defensive duties as a winger?

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 30 Aug 2010, 23:35

you should go atleast as far back as the 30 yard line most coaches say you should be playing box to box on the wings. P.s. that formation is impossible do you mean you play a 4-3-3?

dasfootball90

Post by dasfootball90 » 31 Aug 2010, 00:11

sorry for typo should have edited it.. I meant when playing a 4-4-2 i play right midefielder and when the coach plays a 4-4-3 a play right wing.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 31 Aug 2010, 00:58

Right Midfield is completely different to right wing. And that is a real common misconception, especially in England for some reason...

RM:
A right midfielder would be the work horse of a team, playing from box to box, and would be expected to be in the midfield area of the pitch, but wider than a central midfielder. So you will be getting back every time the other team has the ball, and getting forwards every time your team has the ball.

Remember you are still part of the defensive line however, and if you go too far back, you will be actually putting your team in a bad position, as 4-4-2 defence relies on having 2 lines of four.

RW:
Typically has no defensive duties, especially in a 4-3-3. This would be like Messi's position. Of course players roles vary from game situations and whether a your team is winning losing/attacking defending.

I play left wing a lot, and I was taught by my coaches at Luton that the winger or wing forward, should stay up the pitch, waiting for your team to collect the ball. The only difference is that when the other team has the ball you would pinch in slightly, coming further into the pitch to narrow down the other teams back four's space, and when your team has the ball you go out as wide as you can at the touch line, just onside.

I was also taught by my Luton coach, that if the other teams fullback goes up to attack, you follow him back, that is the only defensive duty you have.

Besides that you also would be expected to defend during set pieces like corners and free kicks, but even then you would normally assume the job as garbage man, waiting on the edge of the box to close down players who receive the ball.

I hope this sheds some light on what you should be doing.