Position Question

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
p793
Veteran Member

Position Question

Post by p793 » 28 Aug 2010, 20:20

I'm 16 years old, and I currently play as a RW, LW, ST, AMC.

I feel that to move forward in the game and move up the footballing ladder I need to pick an ideal position and perfect it, this is why I need your help.

After contacting around 100 clubs with relativaly little feedback I have thought that my best option for the moment is to train like a pro, eat like a pro, live like a pro and then attend the FootballCV.com trial days untill I get picked up.

They play a 3-5-2 formation like this:
-------GK-------
--CB-CB-CB--
WB----------WB
--CM-CM-CM--
-----------------
-----ST-ST-----

What is my ideal position?

Strengths:
Dribbling
Field Vision
Passing Ability
Intellegence on the field
_
Pace
Shooting is decent
Both Feet

Have no real weaknesses

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 28 Aug 2010, 20:28

saying you have no weakness is a complete lie and honestly a terrible thing to say "if you think you are perfect you will never be".
assuming this is true you could play more of a holding mid similar to xabi alonso if the team would take you or the central cm.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 28 Aug 2010, 20:35

nick117 wrote:saying you have no weakness is a complete lie and honestly a terrible thing to say "if you think you are perfect you will never be".
My opinion exactly. You shouldn't have to dig too deep to find a flaw in your game, and if you do, then you should be signed already. No one is too good for the practice pitch.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 28 Aug 2010, 20:35

Well I wouldnt see them as weaknesses, I just think theyre not as good as my strengths. I can definately improve them, and I completely dont think I'm perfect, I think you have the wrong end of the stick.

I mean, nothing is perfect, but nothing is bad at the same time. Maybe I should have used a different phrase...

Thanks for your suggestion nick117. Would you guys agree with him?

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 28 Aug 2010, 20:43

You can still pick out a few things you would like to improve the most. In a regular job interview, the quickest way to get the hook is to try and come off as invincible. So let's hear it, three of the things you'd like to improve most.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 28 Aug 2010, 20:56

Well at the moment I would say my stamina needs improving.
Other things i'm trying to improve is my mentality in certain situations, in example I was offered a trial at a championship club, but didnt play anything like im capable of and consequently didnt succeed.
I think my defensive side of the game could also improve.

Anyway, when I said I have no REAL weaknesses, I meant there is nothing that seriously concerns me, if you know what I mean. Each day I work on improving everything so ofcourse I dont think I am perfect.

Moving back on topic..What position do you think would suit me

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 28 Aug 2010, 22:52

Guys i'm thinking ST and drop off a bit and play "in the hole"
wingback
or midfield
What do you think
Last edited by p793 on 28 Aug 2010, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 28 Aug 2010, 23:06

My ideal position is RW or LW like arshavin/walcott. :/ Dont know what to do?

mustahfa14

Post by mustahfa14 » 28 Aug 2010, 23:30

well the strengths you posted are leaning towards being a center mid. Good field vision, passing ability, and intelligence on the field. All needed for a center mid.

Decent shooting wont cut it as a striker at a higher level. But good pace and dribbling, along with those other qualities are good for a winger, RW/LW. You said ST but as a second striker. I can see that too. Now this is all based on your given strengths.

But need to know more about you. height/weight would help. That would help compare you to a player. who do you think you play like?

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 28 Aug 2010, 23:42

I'm 6ft 1, 16 years old, weigh 68 kg.

I am working on my shooting..I think it will become a stregnth in the next few month. I have a good shot accuracy, good power but its more composure what im working on.

I dont have an idol as im so versatile i oftren get told to play in different position so i have lots of idols.

I think I should play in the acm role like messi rooney(sometimes) etc. but I dont know as I have barely played there so may feel a little awkward positionally if you understand me.

As a striker and winger I know all the tricks of the trade (off the ball)
but as an acm i dont know very much.

Sometimes when playing winger i feel like im wasted at times and could offer much more in another position. I just need your help seriously guys im stuck between which of theese 3 positions to focus on

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Post by pickyourheadup » 29 Aug 2010, 13:29

If stamina is your weakness...I mean "something you need to work on", then winger isn't a great choice.

As the above users have said, an ideal position for your current "strengths" would be somewhere in the center midfield. More than likely, you could play a supporting or attacking center midfield role.

My club team played a 3-5-2 and we had the center midfielders rotate, depending on the situation. If 2 went up, the third would stay back and he might tell a winger to hang a little back as well. If both wingers went up, 2 center mid's might hang back just a little.

Try watching Zidane or maybe Paul Scholes.
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 29 Aug 2010, 17:32

My naturual fitness is really good.. I have been playing as a winger for a few seasons and its probably my best position, but my stamina isnt great because I was on holiday, and missed a few weeks of preseason due to injury.

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Post by pickyourheadup » 29 Aug 2010, 18:57

Then I think you've exhausted our advice. If a you don't have any weaknesses, then pick a position that you think fits you best because our advice wouldn't help you at all.
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 29 Aug 2010, 23:22

I hate to say it, but the worst possible weakness you will ever have is not been able to identify your other weaknesses.

You will always have a weakness, everyone will. You may have different grades of weakness, IE, a professional at the top levels greatest weakness may be past the standard of an amateur's greatest strength, but it is still a weakness regardless.

Don't think of it as things that you are bad at, but more along the lines of things that you could improve or are not as strong as your other points. This is where honesty comes into it, you just have to be honest with yourself, instead of trying to be modest or being in denial.

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 30 Aug 2010, 01:16

I have understood this already, I wasnt trying to big myself up as the perfect player I just meant im well rounded, nothing stands out as dramtaically needing improvment in comparrison to my other aspects.
my strengths could be 6/10 and most other things 5/10 if you understand me, So i am working every day for hours improving everything. do you understand now?

I, myself know that the 5's eed to be as good as 6's so they are weakness. but I was trying to give you guys a brief understanding of my ability..........ok?

If I had very bad tackling, then I would include it cos you guys would need to know to tell me a position not to play in.

apart from my strengths, everything is just okay and I want to make everything perfect.!

god, u guys are looking so much into 1 sentence i spontanously said. its not like i lie down thinking, sh*t im the best thing. i cant improve anything because i dont have any weaknesses. I THINK I NEED TO IMPROVE EVERYTHING