How to become braver?

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
p793
Veteran Member

How to become braver?

Post by p793 » 19 Aug 2010, 23:57

On Sunday, I played for an U18 team as they promoted me from the U17s. I set up a goal, hit the post, got a shot cleared off the line and made some lovely through balls, yet my coach subbed me for not being brave,
even though I got stuck in with 5050 challenges etc..but just one thing,

when the keeper boots it up and the defender is coming in sprinting and he is twice the size of me ( width ) and is a quite dirty ( knees in back sorta thing) any advice as to how to win the ball, if I jump up ill get an injury to the back of the head for sure so what would you reccomend?

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 20 Aug 2010, 00:04

I pretty much answered this in collin's thread, but for the sake of sounding like a broken record:
Rome_Leader wrote:This is a common problem. Really, the more you immerse yourself in competitive or semi-competitive play of a higher level than yours, the less of a problem this will be for you, because you'll be accustomed to the expectations of others and the self-pressures higher level play comes with. Clearly, it's a confidence issue for you. You need to block out any negative influences, and just play your game. Continue to tell yourself as you play that you can do this, as you've done whatever skill you're about to attempt a hundred times in practice, and you've seen the fantastic results. You'll have nothing but benefits from playing people who are bigger, stronger and faster than you.

I'm sure I'll have something more to add later, but that's all for now. :P In the meanwhile, it would do you good to check out some of these helpful guides pertaining to exactly what you're experiencing.

Rzad's post on maximizing your in-game performance.

S4L's 'Mental Pregame Prep.' post.

panchester's take on eliminating fear.

My own awesome guide on attitude on and off the pitch. ;)

As well, so you know I'm just not blowing Canadian bacon out of my ass, here are threads with others who have experienced your problem, more or less, and the insight others have offered to help them through it:

viewtopic.php?t=17253

viewtopic.php?t=17259

viewtopic.php?t=16236

viewtopic.php?t=15317

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

panchester07
Veteran Member

Re: How to become braver?

Post by panchester07 » 20 Aug 2010, 00:13

p793 wrote:On Sunday, I played for an U18 team as they promoted me from the U17s. I set up a goal, hit the post, got a shot cleared off the line and made some lovely through balls, yet my coach subbed me for not being brave,
even though I got stuck in with 5050 challenges etc..but just one thing,

when the keeper boots it up and the defender is coming in sprinting and he is twice the size of me ( width ) and is a quite dirty ( knees in back sorta thing) any advice as to how to win the ball, if I jump up ill get an injury to the back of the head for sure so what would you reccomend?
Do your best to win the ball and forget about him. You become brave by doing brave acts, and in football its just what your supposed to do. Position yourself in a way that you can head the ball and your back isn't as vulnerable if its possible. If not then, just look at the ball at all times and try to win the header cleanly, protect your body in a way that your elbows are wide enough to prevent him from doing most things illegal. Jump with your elbows up and head the ball or do your best effort to do so. Again, use your elbows as protection and you'll likely be safe. Of course, if you are sure that you are gonna get hurt and its not worth the risk then don't do anything, be smart, be aggresive and be clean.

If you can think honestly to yourself, and you conclude that in reality its safer not to jump or try to go for the header because you'll get hurt then don't take the risk. But really, I don't know where you play then, cause who the hell hits or attacks people when they are off balance in the air. Its the perfect recipe for a bad injury, and I don't know if he's as sick as that. These things happen in profesional football a few times per season, and they are always penalized. If he knee's you in the back he can unstabalize you and you can fall awkardly ending up hurt thanks to his stupidity. This isn't to scare you, but to make you think to yourself, specially if your playing U-18, are there kids your age so fu**ing sick in the mind that they'll take the risk of harming you for life just to win header? ..... He probably wont touch you.

But if you're just making excuses, and your shying out, and you know you can atleast try without risk of getting harmed, then you need to fix your mentality. Realize that its more important to beat your fear than anything else. Look at the ball, and throw your eyes at it, make an attempt to win it, most headers are won by the person that unfearfully attacks the ball with his forhead. You are focused on the ball, eye contact at all times and be agressive, don't think, just do it. After you jump, and win the first one, you'll be all game confident and winning those 50-50s. Step out of your comfort zone. It helps a little to practice before a game alone just punting it up and jumping high and winning it.

The good thing about headers, is that you have like 2-3 seconds before you reach the ball. Its enough time to just do it, and not enough time to start second guessing yourself. Like I said, once you win the first one, you'll be confident all game, or "braver" if you would. Nobody knows you were scared either, they just see a normal guy winning all the headers so they might even be intimidated. Either you take the game by the horns or someone else will. Who wants it more?

Unless he's a dirty bastard with no soul, in reality there isn't any risk. Its an ilogical fear, headers are executed in every game dozens of times. Its just your mind teasing, and you must beat it. Beat it by winning the header ofcourse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exwWvKZo9rg

Shorter, lighter, outnumbered, but braver.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 20 Aug 2010, 01:23

If you are playing at a competitive level, there is a good chance he is trying to be intimidating but really he will never do anything to foul you or hurt you, as he would be risking getting booked or sent off, and losing his team the game which would get him in serious sh*t.

I often play against players who tell me they will snap my legs in two if I dribble past them, the best attitude to have is to not be worried by anything they say, if he purposefully snaps your legs you can get him arrested and he knows this, he is not likely to do something like that, he is just trying to scare people.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 20 Aug 2010, 02:45

To answer the question of the topic:

" Moral excellence comes about as a result of habit. We become just by doing just acts, temperate by doing temperate acts, brave by doing brave acts. " -aristotle
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'