We Don't Go By Results.

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod
Posts: 3028
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 22:03

Post

Image

I haven't made a decent topic regarding the mentality scope of football in a while, so when I had this inspiration late last night, I thought I'd better pen down the phrase and get to work in the morning.

The title of the topic, something stressed to me by one of my best coaches ever in my youth, who was responsible for renewing my vigor and dedication to my training in football, still holds very true in society today. Not just in sport, but especially so when it comes to football. Think about it this way: A basketball player catches the ball off an in-bounds with some ten minutes still to go, and his team sporting a comfortable lead. Whether out of cockiness or pure lack of judgment and stupidity, he closes his eyes, and flings it full court with one hand... And makes the basket. We are left to consider as a witness to this event... Was that shot a 'bad shot?'

The answer... Of course it was! We do not go by results. If he hadn't made the shot, he would've been booed and torn apart by his coach. Just because he made the shot, doesn't mean he took into account his incredibly slim odds of making the shot, of the strategy of holding the ball and running down the clock when his team is already in a great position to win or the needs and expectations of his teammates and coaches. Therefore, his decision was a stupid one, and his shot, a bad one. He, therefore, should still be made an example of by the coaching staff and be let known that it was by luck, not judgment or skill, that he made the basket, and that next time, he might better be served to consider for a second the best option in that situation, and to take it.

This idea continues to be applied in a football sense. As an example of something we have all no doubt dealt with in the past: You've played an awesome game. Spreading the width of the pitch, finding your teammates, every touch is perfect and the play is being controlled by your side... Yet the ball takes some silly bounce and ends up in your net, resulting in a heart-wrenching 1-0 loss. You undoubtedly feel gutted by this, and begin to have doubts. You ask yourself subtly in your mind, and perhaps out loud "Did we play a bad game?"

Of course not! We do not go by results. Win or lose, if you've played your heart out to 110% of your physical capabilities, you've been a team player and played with the interest of the squad at heart, not your own personal glory agenda, and you've made nothing but quality touches on the ball, how could that not be considered a great game? The goal against the run of play was the outlier. While it may hurt, and some may say the result is all that matters in football, you have laid a quality foundation for the future, indeed, a promising one that, if kept up, can only result in improvement. This is undoubtedly a much better scenario than a completely disorganized team who wins a handful of games on luck, and then is faced with a must-win game in which their luck has expired, and they must rely on their skill and team mechanics to win.

Imagine now, if you will, someone whose only concern is the end result. The win, the finished product, what have you. I am not one to question whether or not they will achieve the end result they seek. No, surely if their dedication is such that their only focus in life is a result, then they will probably achieve it. But life has taught us that there are an infinite number of paths filled with an infinite number of intricacies and minor decisions that one may take to achieve a final result. And if one is so heavily focused on the finish line, will they not miss the experiences along the way? Would they be able to recount even a fraction of the path they took, so others might gain knowledge from their triumphs and mistakes? Not likely. What of their emotional state? Surely they must be overjoyed at having achieved the goal they had sought. But where to from here? Must they not continually set bigger and better goals for themselves, or risk growing mired in the contentment and admiration of that one victory?

However, the person who treats life as a journey will have it made. They will take life one step at a time, meeting challenges and understanding more than anyone what these challenges require of them, and how to improve as an individual. Of course, when they achieve their goal, they will continue to set new, bigger and better goals for themselves. But for them, the result does not produce even one tenth the emotion and hardship of the journey. They've learned and grown along the way, and the next chapter in their story may well have written itself for them, a testament to the positivity they have acquired and the belief they now have in the endless abilities within their own bodies and minds. We do not go by results.

The next time you are bothered by a result that simply hasn't turned out how you'd like, I hope you would remember at least, the recurring mantra in my post, and know that results, in my opinion, are inconsequential. As long as you give it your all at every turn, you have nothing to worry about it. In the end, you will have achieved what you wanted, no matter how many results you've had to see through. We do not go by results.

Image

~A Roman Production~

NewBornProdigy
Admin
Posts: 2695
Joined: 23 May 2008, 19:51

Post

He forgot to mention... But Rome actually stole this off the back door of the Home Changing Room at the emriates :D

Good post man, and very very true

klc123
Veteran Member
Posts: 2820
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 16:26

Post

I agree completely with this post.

But Id just like to propose something. Was Maradona stupid for taking on the entire England team and destroying them to score one of the, if not thee greatest goal in history? Even if he was stupid to do so, was it a bad goal, purely because it wasn't the best decision?

The point I'm trying to make is that you have to buy a ticket to win a lottery, and sometimes it works for you, and sometimes it doesn't. This isn't to say that you should shoot every time you get the ball at 40 yards from goal, but at the same time, don't ever expect to score a 40 yard wonder goal if your not prepared to take a chance.

Wanderer
Veteran Member
Posts: 1084
Joined: 22 Mar 2007, 01:42

Post

I think point is effort is more important then results.

NewBornProdigy
Admin
Posts: 2695
Joined: 23 May 2008, 19:51

Post

Wanderer wrote:I think point is effort is more important then results.
Its more like performance is more important than results, but yeah along the lines of effort aswell

panchester07
Veteran Member
Posts: 3851
Joined: 27 Aug 2007, 04:25

Post

Exactly, and I think most of us know after those games Rome mentioned, in which we outplay, outclass, out everything the rival but unluckilly loose, that we were the better team. Its something inside of us that tells us you did better, you played good, and you still get that feeling of satisfaction. A perfect example is Spain vs Switzerland in the World Cup. Or on the other hand, I could name a few kids on here saying how Argentina just won 1-0 and therefor they weren't such a great team.This is true, they only won 1-0 but look at the shots they took, the possesion, how many shots they let their rivals take, etc. Some people need to read this article a few times and let it soak in. In football many results lie and can be tricky.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"


"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod
Posts: 3028
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 22:03

Post

klc123 wrote:I agree completely with this post.

But Id just like to propose something. Was Maradona stupid for taking on the entire England team and destroying them to score one of the, if not thee greatest goal in history? Even if he was stupid to do so, was it a bad goal, purely because it wasn't the best decision?

The point I'm trying to make is that you have to buy a ticket to win a lottery, and sometimes it works for you, and sometimes it doesn't. This isn't to say that you should shoot every time you get the ball at 40 yards from goal, but at the same time, don't ever expect to score a 40 yard wonder goal if your not prepared to take a chance.
That's very true klc, and again, sometimes you have to take these chances. There's a difference between taking a chance few others would, and having it result in greatness, then making an err in judgment and having it pay off by getting lucky.

The lottery is a different sort. :P You are totally correct, though.

_______________________

NBP, you're a liar! I actually took this article to the word out of the Martha Stewart Living magazine, so STFU. -_-

panchester07
Veteran Member
Posts: 3851
Joined: 27 Aug 2007, 04:25

Post

The important thing is to relax, and focus all your energy and efforts on winning. Watch a lot of football on tv, and don't worry for sh*t in the games. Enjoy. Train hard and thats how you'll play. Go to kickabouts and try to win for the whole duration of the game. Raise your expectations. Say for i.e "i'm going to score 5 goals in this kickabout".
to know Him is to want to know Him more"


"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod
Posts: 3028
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 22:03

Post

Then again, they are just kickabouts. I wouldn't ruin it for yourself and others by trying to dominate and giving 110% physically, but yes, find ways to focus and improve even in those scenarios.

NewBornProdigy
Admin
Posts: 2695
Joined: 23 May 2008, 19:51

Post

Rome_Leader wrote:NBP, you're a liar! I actually took this article to the word out of the Martha Stewart Living magazine, so STFU. -_-
No... She saw it on the back of the Arsenal changing room Door aswel, while giving Wenger a few home cooking tips

SO YOU STFU :x
Go to kickabouts and try to win for the whole duration of the game. Raise your expectations. Say for i.e "i'm going to score 5 goals in this kickabout".
Taking yourself that seriously for kickabout will help boost your winning mentality

But it will kill all the fun of kickabouts and deplete an even more important part of your mentality than determination to win

Treat kickabouts for what they are... Enjoyment... That will help relax you in serious matches because your will relate football to relaxation and joy... Not expectation and pressure

panchester07
Veteran Member
Posts: 3851
Joined: 27 Aug 2007, 04:25

Post

NewBornProdigy wrote:
Rome_Leader wrote:NBP, you're a liar! I actually took this article to the word out of the Martha Stewart Living magazine, so STFU. -_-
No... She saw it on the back of the Arsenal changing room Door aswel, while giving Wenger a few home cooking tips

SO YOU STFU :x
Go to kickabouts and try to win for the whole duration of the game. Raise your expectations. Say for i.e "i'm going to score 5 goals in this kickabout".
Taking yourself that seriously for kickabout will help boost your winning mentality

But it will kill all the fun of kickabouts and deplete an even more important part of your mentality than determination to win

Treat kickabouts for what they are... Enjoyment... That will help relax you in serious matches because your will relate football to relaxation and joy... Not expectation and pressure
I know where your coming from and thats a valid point. I was assuming some of us here go to kickabouts for practice and improvement in their level, rather than mere enjoyment. If you aim to win and play hard to win, and give 110% you will get better, and you will have enjoyment.

IF you just play to enjoy, and give 50%, I don't know how much you can enjoy, getting beat, outplayed, etc. And sure as hell wont get better .

I think I enjoy giving all, and I have the most fun when all I want to do is win. Its the key to getting better and the key to having fun.

We play games to have fun. But the objective of games are to win, or atleast trying to win. Go back to when you where 10. Hide and go seek, you are spoted, and the "safe-spot" is 30 metres away from you, and the seeker is in between. Would you ever give less than all you have to try and be safe? If you would, it wouldn't be as exciting or fun! You would get caught. You would loose. You would stay that good because you aren't pusshing yourself, etc.

Always give your all to win and you'll get better and have fun.
The best, where always obsessed with winning. Even in kickabouts, see Wayne Rooney for i.e

Opinions?

OH yeah, both STFU :shock:
to know Him is to want to know Him more"


"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

NewBornProdigy
Admin
Posts: 2695
Joined: 23 May 2008, 19:51

Post

panchester07 wrote:I know where your coming from and thats a valid point. I was assuming some of us here go to kickabouts for practice and improvement in their level, rather than mere enjoyment. If you aim to win and play hard to win, and give 110% you will get better, and you will have enjoyment.

IF you just play to enjoy, and give 50%, I don't know how much you can enjoy, getting beat, outplayed, etc. And sure as hell wont get better .

I think I enjoy giving all, and I have the most fun when all I want to do is win. Its the key to getting better and the key to having fun.

We play games to have fun. But the objective of games are to win, or atleast trying to win. Go back to when you where 10. Hide and go seek, you are spoted, and the "safe-spot" is 30 metres away from you, and the seeker is in between. Would you ever give less than all you have to try and be safe? If you would, it wouldn't be as exciting or fun! You would get caught. You would loose. You would stay that good because you aren't pusshing yourself, etc.

Always give your all to win and you'll get better and have fun.
The best, where always obsessed with winning. Even in kickabouts, see Wayne Rooney for i.e

Opinions?

OH yeah, both STFU :shock:
Yeah true words

But I get a vibe that your kickabouts are far more intensive then the ones I'd be used to

Cause we play for fun where the score doesn't really matter, pride is a motivation (like 'This guys will not get by me' or 'I am gonna skin this defender alive cause i'm so good')

But theres never a distortion of the principal of fun, and those that use it for practice kinda sink to our level

Its kinda good in that way that you get in touch with what the sport actually revolves around

But your very right that some people enjoy winning hence take it very serious, which is a great attitude to have

panchester07
Veteran Member
Posts: 3851
Joined: 27 Aug 2007, 04:25

Post

It depends the time and place of the kickabout. In a normal day I have access to 3 kickabouts without leaving my hood.

One at 12 with some ghetto construction workers that play in there lunch time from 12 - 1.

One at 5 with the people that work around here which are also pretty ghetto, cause theres a brand new sports complex the government made which has like 10 7 v 7 fields.

And usually friends or close people to me that work and study during the day have one in the night time.

Additional to that you have the few leagues that I might be playing, etc. And the serious club team.

Some are serious, some are a bit less serious, but in all you kinda want to win. With my friends its usually less serious, like the ones you've described, "this kid's not beating me" or "i'm so taking the ball from this other kid because he doesn't got sh*t" .. But theres others scrimmages where people take it seriously because theres 3-4 teams waiting to play and we rotate each goal, and we all want to win really bad cause no one wants to sit for 30 minutes. We play hard, 110% but not necesarrily are we intesne or angry people if we don't have it our way. But like I said, I think the fun factor relies in the challenge, and trying as hard as you can to win. If you don't try with effort to win, and face the challenge, I don't really see how you could just have fun playing soft and taking it easy. I might sound like a Gatusso or Diarra player after this, but really, I'm a player with touch and dribbling and shooting skills, very offensive, very vertical, but I play hard all the time, never less than 100% is what I try to do, I've never had a game where I hadn't had lots of fun.

Enjoyment = trying to win and the other team trying to stop you, and the opposite.

Focusing on winning also takes away the focus from doubts, and insecurities you might have during the match .
to know Him is to want to know Him more"


"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod
Posts: 3028
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 22:03

Post

I totally get what you're saying about the game not being fun for either party if you don't try Panny, but there's a difference between being semi-competitive and putting balls on the line trying to win at all costs. I think that's the distinction we're trying to make here.

klc123
Veteran Member
Posts: 2820
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 16:26

Post

I think there is a very thin line between fun serious and too serious.

Its horrible to play with people who muck around, and it is really enjoyable to play with people who take it competitively and serious. However, once you start getting team mates who are swearing and putting each other down and opponents who are playing dirty and risking injury, its too far, you wouldn't expect that behaviour to be tolerated in a professional match, never mind a kick around.

Post Reply