BG : Help Needed

Everything related to tactics, coaching and refereeing
BGbeast23
Veteran Member

BG : Help Needed

Post by BGbeast23 » 13 Jul 2010, 01:47

Hey guys I need some help, I'm contemplating quitting football on a competitive level because it's becoming less and less fun for me and 90% of the kids I play with are total dicks to me now because I'm going to be a junior and wasn't on the varsity team last year. If I continue playing, I'll most likely be on the varsity team but play very little in games. I become nervous and mess up causing my team to yell at me when I'm in the game now and this adds to my displeasure with the game at this level. Any suggestions? Should I stop or just see how it goes this season and maybe not play my senior year? I still love the game but it's become almost more of a job type thing than a passion like it used to be.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 13 Jul 2010, 01:57

I felt like that by the time I quit playing competitive soccer. It felt more like a chore for me. I began to hate soccer (was a combination of coach, teammates, and injury) Quitting was the best thing for me personally. I began to like soccer again and there wasn't any pressure to perform. Playing with friends and pickup made it fun for me again. But then again, some days I really wish I could play competitively again because I miss going to practice and playing everyday.
If you have any doubts that you'll miss it somewhere down the line, don't quit. You'll end up regretting it. You'll be kicking a ball around with friends few years down the line and you'll realize this.
I think you should give it another go and see how it works out. If it's the same, then you should leave it so you don't end up hating soccer. But you never know, you could be pleasantly surprised.

BGbeast23
Veteran Member

Post by BGbeast23 » 13 Jul 2010, 02:30

Yeah I'm thinking the same right now, I think I'll probably play this season and then evaluate things. I just hate playing for my high school right now it's not fun and my club team disassembled after this past season bc half of my team wanted to go play for a bigger club. I'm really leaning towards quitting though, I'll give it a try tomorrow with the mentality that I don't really need this and see what happens.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 13 Jul 2010, 02:32

soccer11 wrote:I felt like that by the time I quit playing competitive soccer. It felt more like a chore for me. I began to hate soccer (was a combination of coach, teammates, and injury) Quitting was the best thing for me personally. I began to like soccer again and there wasn't any pressure to perform. Playing with friends and pickup made it fun for me again. But then again, some days I really wish I could play competitively again because I miss going to practice and playing everyday.
If you have any doubts that you'll miss it somewhere down the line, don't quit. You'll end up regretting it. You'll be kicking a ball around with friends few years down the line and you'll realize this.
I think you should give it another go and see how it works out. If it's the same, then you should leave it so you don't end up hating soccer. But you never know, you could be pleasantly surprised.
This almost word for word). My indoor coach (good coach) tried to convince me to go out for college teams but I was so sick of soccer after my senior year (mainly coach, but team-mates as well), instead I quit soccer for a few awhile. That summer my friend asked me to fill in for their team in a latio league and I reluctantly agreed. What I realized though was that when I was just having fun I still loved to play.

BGbeast23
Veteran Member

Post by BGbeast23 » 13 Jul 2010, 03:07

Yeah I think I may still play in a rec league or something but just playing competitively doesn't seem fun anymore, I still love the game but the pressure I feel when playing isn't good. Like I'm afraid to get the ball half the time because I'm unsure of myself and then kids just yell at me and make me feel like sh*t. I've tried to calm down before but it never works. I'm not sure at this point.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 13 Jul 2010, 04:11

BGbeast23 wrote:Yeah I think I may still play in a rec league or something but just playing competitively doesn't seem fun anymore, I still love the game but the pressure I feel when playing isn't good. Like I'm afraid to get the ball half the time because I'm unsure of myself and then kids just yell at me and make me feel like sh*t. I've tried to calm down before but it never works. I'm not sure at this point.
What you have to do is improve so you become sure of your abilities.

It also dependss though. Depends how much you care about it. If you don't care anymore about being good, and just care about the fun, then og course, quit. I don't get how you say "quit" and at the same time your unsure of your abilities. To quit would mean to stop trying to improve, but if you where trying to improve you would see improvement in your abilities.

So its really your choice and your the one that knows the answer.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

ImpossibleIsNothing6

Post by ImpossibleIsNothing6 » 13 Jul 2010, 04:33

DON"T QUIT, think of what it was that made you fall in love with the game, whether it was a movie, a specific game you played with friends, and try to re-live it, motivate yourself, go watch a professional team play at a stadium (If you have a local one). You'll regret quitting I assure you.

Watch this, motivate yourself: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lVrvnlLUwE

Once you've motivated yourself, go train, train hard with some mental peace, if you quit, you'll be thinking of what could of been.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 13 Jul 2010, 04:49

panchester07 wrote:
It also dependss though. Depends how much you care about it. If you don't care anymore about being good, and just care about the fun, then og course, quit. I don't get how you say "quit" and at the same time your unsure of your abilities. To quit would mean to stop trying to improve, but if you where trying to improve you would see improvement in your abilities.

So its really your choice and your the one that knows the answer.
He's saying it is everything around him that has made him doubt himself. That the fun has been sucked out of playing competitive. I also strongly disagree with the idea that when you quit playing competive you quit or somehow "care" less about playing and/or stop trying to improve. Some of the best people I know right now got better after "quiting" or never even played on a "real" team.

I'd say if anything since I quit my touch, and comfort level with the ball has increased. That said my physical level and mind for the game have decreased.

Realistically 1 out of what? 100? 1000? 10000? 100000? may actually have some level of success, that doesn't mean the rest care or love the game less. If you go to your average guitar shop you'll see people better than musicians that have made it, and many of them have never tried. Doing something for fun doesn't mean you're worse, careless, etc.

99 out of 100 new members on this site are between 13 and 20 and what to know what they have to do to go pro. Look at the older members, thats what they all said, almost none have made it (with a few exceptions who were already above average when they joined). Life moves on, dreams and goals change.

If I had a time machine I'd go back and not play my Senior year honestly, instead I'd of just started playing req league. I'd say give it a go, if the season starts and you aren't enjoying yourself walk away after the season. Really it's your choice though.

BGbeast23
Veteran Member

Post by BGbeast23 » 13 Jul 2010, 05:01

Thanks for all the advice, I'm just not having fun playing and therefore don't feel like working for it you know? I mean I've busted my ass for several seasons under this coach and for this team and have gotten absolutely nothing in return, only the bare minimum amount of gratitude I could have received. The last season I played was the worst emotionally for me I've ever played. I played well and still got nothing in return again and again. I don't care about this team too much now and I'm thinking I'll just leave it to tomorrow.

Right now I'm thinking if I do quit I'll just turn into a workout freak to compensate and venture into freestyling, musical endeavors, taking up photography, getting a job, and concentrating more on school, all of which I have babbled in and want to do but haven't been able to because of soccer.

And to your suggestion Brown, I'm thinking I might come back my senior year instead but idk.

ImpossibleIsNothing6

Post by ImpossibleIsNothing6 » 13 Jul 2010, 05:04

Well, in the end it's up too you i guess, if you are havin so many doubts like this, then maybe its just not meant to be.

BGbeast23
Veteran Member

Post by BGbeast23 » 13 Jul 2010, 05:05

Yeah maybe so, I'll let you guys know what I decide for sure. I'm thinking of it as quitting the team not really quitting the game at this point.

And what really made me fall in love with the game wasn't anything in particular, I've just been playing since I was 3 so it's always been a part of me.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 13 Jul 2010, 05:22

Yeah well my Junior year I played swing (defense of V, CM on JV), and the coach kept saying "it's not because you aren't good enough to start but our CM are graduating so I want you to have as much experience there as possible. Season ends, he quits, new coach = douche. I got to play CM once my senior year and got us 2 assist in 20 minutes to help us only loose 6-2 (to a team far worse than us player for player if the right players were in the right positions). Needless to say I wouldn't spit on the bastard if he was on fire, and I don't think any other player for him would either. Basically I know the sh*t that goes along with a bad coach.

At the end of the day it comes down to if you feel it's worth it. Do you think 3 months from now you'd look back and say "I wish I would have played" or look back and say "God damn, I wasted another season on the same old bullcrap"

BGbeast23
Veteran Member

Post by BGbeast23 » 13 Jul 2010, 05:33

Well the way I felt after last season was the bulls**t one to the fullest extent and the only difference this year is that I won't be playing at all this year whereas last year I played every minute of JV but still wasn't satisfied.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 13 Jul 2010, 05:34

2brown347 wrote:
I'd say if anything since I quit my touch, and comfort level with the ball has increased. That said my physical level and mind for the game have decreased.
basically what happened to me. I only wish I was as confident in my abilities back then as I am now, when I'm only playing for shits and giggles.

But yea, I don't agree that quitting means not improving anymore. You'll almost surely improve if you keep playing, especially if you keep you physical level high.

mrbeankid22

Post by mrbeankid22 » 13 Jul 2010, 06:26

If you are 100% sure you won't play, not due to your ability, but due to the coach, then I say quit. High school doesn't really matter anyways, it's only fun if you are playing. It's no fun practicing everyday for nothing either. I say quit your team if you are sure about it and join a rec league with some friends, maybe even an indoor team aswell. I promise that your passion for the game will grow much more than if you stayed on a high school team unhappy all season, wasting your time at practice.

Here's my story. I started all my games freshman year on JV, and I was guaranteed a spot on Varsity the following year. I trained real hard following the end of the HS season, all summer, up until the first official day of the Varsity season. I ended up coming in as a sub most of the time, rarely playing. The coach said I was not aggressive enough and I wasn't physical enough, I played CAM as my natural position. Everyone on the team recognized my skills and vision, many thought I was one of the best on the team when it came to technical ability. The coach begged to differ... So I said to myself, "If he doesn't value me as a player, why should I work hard in practice for him". Quit HS right after my Sophmore year and joined a D1 club and started every game my would be junior year at hs. I freed up time to play with friends, pickup, and indoor, all while having a sh*t ton of fun. I've even had several small college scouts come look at my games, none of which would have happened if I'd sticked around of another year of bs at the high school. High school coaches are like a shot in the dark, sometimes you get a really good one, but most of the time they are idiots.